Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training Upland birds, and the use of dogs and dog training.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Korthals Ugly Dog Owner
Rank Type

Photos: 93Users Photo Gallery
Default Lab puppy

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Lab puppy
One of my hunting buddies just lost his master hunter lab. His wife has put me in charge of finding a pup for him. Larry likes long legged, lanky American labs. This dog won't do any upland work. I've been out of the lab game for many years and most of the dogs I see are English type.

If you know of a breeder with this type of dogs I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Griff
Old 11-29-2009, 05:59 PM

Photos: 24Users Photo Gallery

If money isn't an issue I believe Hunters Rose Kennels has a litter on the way. They are in Dundee. Their labs are usually a little smaller than most but they are long and lean. They are pointing labs but run water as well as any dogs. Dale runs them in the HRC as well as the Am. Pointing Lab Assoc.

http://huntersrosekennel.homestead.com/litters.html

Remove this ad...  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Korthals Ugly Dog Owner
Rank Type

Photos: 93Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrod View Post
If money isn't an issue I believe Hunters Rose Kennels has a litter on the way. They are in Dundee. Their labs are usually a little smaller than most but they are long and lean. They are pointing labs but run water as well as any dogs. Dale runs them in the HRC as well as the Am. Pointing Lab Assoc.

http://huntersrosekennel.homestead.com/litters.html
Thanks for the reply. One of the guys I hunt with in South Dakota has one of his pups. Very nice upland dog.

Griff
Old 11-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Guide

Photos: 44Users Photo Gallery
Default Lab Puppy???

Grif

I am as well looking for a lab puppy, I have been put on the mission as well to try and find a black lab puppy before x-mas if possible. I noticed your last reply... Has anyone ran into a litter that is ready to go. I was hoping to find a litter that may have come from some upland hunting. Anyone else that may read this if you know of any please PM me. Thanks

Hunterjb6

Lab puppy - Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training
Old 11-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffondog View Post
Lab puppy
One of my hunting buddies just lost his master hunter lab. His wife has put me in charge of finding a pup for him. Larry likes long legged, lanky American labs. This dog won't do any upland work. I've been out of the lab game for many years and most of the dogs I see are English type.

If you know of a breeder with this type of dogs I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Griff
I plan on getting a 2nd lab in the spring and I am starting my search now. My 2 1/2 yr old is of the type you describe with a very short single coat and that is what I'll be looking for. Pup will get mostly upland hunting exposure but also a lot of standard retriever training/drills in the spring and summer months for fun.

HRK is one of my top choices and I've checked out their upcoming litters. I'll pass on any other breeders/ upcoming litters that fit your criteria as I come across them. Feel free to do likewise by PM.

Good luck w/ your search. There's a lot of nice dogs out there.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Guide

Photos: 9Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjb6 View Post
Grif

I am as well looking for a lab puppy, I have been put on the mission as well to try and find a black lab puppy before x-mas if possible. I noticed your last reply... Has anyone ran into a litter that is ready to go. I was hoping to find a litter that may have come from some upland hunting. Anyone else that may read this if you know of any please PM me. Thanks

Hunterjb6
I believe HRK has a couple pups ready for homes out of Tig/Ripsy. Equally adept at waterfowl and/or upland work.
There will be an all black litter in the spring out of my Gator and his Bailey,if you can wait....

I'd also try Jydog(Jim)and Justbehindit(Mike) from this forum.

Hope this helps.........................Paco
GMPR VeraGators Smokin' Diablo of G'force "Smokey" (+WIP)
>>> www.gforceretrievers.com <<<

Last edited by Paco; 11-30-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Guide

Photos: 11Users Photo Gallery

You might try Blue Gill Kennels in Allegan. I have 2 friends that have dogs from there and are very happy with them. I do not know a lot about labs, but have heard good things about Greg's dogs.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Guide

Photos: 44Users Photo Gallery
Default Thanks guys (Puppy??)

I appreciate the info, and will give those names a try. I guess more specifically what I am looking for is a female, black lab puppy (I should have mentioned before). This would be for a good friend of mine, who is about the nicest guy you would ever meet. He lost his great campanion and hunting dog sometime ago, and the wife and I were just trying to make something happen for him for x-mas. I know it's getting tight on time so I will just have to see what I can come up with. Again anyone with litters ready or almost ready are welcome to pm me. Thanks again guys for all your help!!!

Hunterjb6

Lab puppy - Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training
Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Guide

If you want a dog full of fire, call Rodney Crim at Black Diamond Retrievers down in Oklahoma. I got our pup Luke from him and the pup is doing 190 - 200 yard blind retrieves and he isn't even 11 months old yet.

Call Rodney at

Cell: 405-694-7715
Home: 405-387-2364

I believe he still has pups available from his latest breeding. Most likely yellows but I am guessing. Speed, smarts and drive will not be an issue.

Home to:

UH HRCH Blue Sky's Carolina Contessa (500 Point Club)
HRCH Firestorm Black on the Inside

UH HRCH MarshQurls Thunderfoot Jake (660 lifetime HRC points) 2/24/02 - 12/11/08 Best damn dog a man could ever ask for.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Guide

Default Some decisions I want to make myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffondog View Post
Lab puppy
One of my hunting buddies just lost his master hunter lab. His wife has put me in charge of finding a pup for him. Larry likes long legged, lanky American labs.
Griff, you are a good friend for doing this but I hope you don't plan to present him with a pup he didn't pick himself. IMO, this may be expecially important for an individual who has trained a retriever to the MH level (a significant accomplishment).

Another option to consider: If this is a Christmas present, suggest she give him a card with $200 and a nice note inviting him to put a deposit down on a pup of his choosing. Include with the note, the list of all the planned breedings you receive from the responses to this thread. My contribution is the HRC "Litter" website: http://huntingretrieverclub.org/cgi/...?board=litters

Last edited by Barry; 12-01-2009 at 01:26 PM.