Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Archery > Traditional Archery
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Traditional Archery Michigan Traditional Archers enjoy shooting recurves and longbows and love to watch the flight of a well shot arrow.

Old 10-13-2000, 09:43 PM

Question

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I just went out and bought a new string for my bow and after getting it strung up noticed 1 strand was cut,so I took it back and the archery shop gave me another, now this string fits different than the first.The first gave me about 8" brace and the second gives me 6 3/8".The AMO on the bow is 60".
How much brace height should I have after stringing up the bow?
I'm measuring from inside the riser at the arrow shelf to the string...SnS
Old 10-14-2000, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

This is a quote from my Bear Kodiak owners manual.

"Brace height is the distance between the string and the deepest cut in the handle grip area measured at a right angle to the string. This height normally measures 7"-8"."

Let me know if you need any other info.

Jill

Remove this ad...  
Old 10-14-2000, 08:41 AM

Photos: 51Users Photo Gallery
Strutnspur, I think Jill's information is just what you needed. You can (and should) adjust your brace height by twisting the string. At 6/34 it should be rather loud with some hand shock. AS you twist (shorten) the string it will increase your brace height. You are looking for the point where your bow will change from "loud" to "quiet". This is called the "sweet spot" on your recurve. Measure the brace height, and record it somewhere. Anytime you need a new string, twist it to your sweetspot. One more thing, when trying to find the ultimate brace height do not put any silencers on the bow at all. I know it sounds tough, but honestly it is fun and it is a piece of cake <----<<<
Old 10-14-2000, 09:30 AM

Thank you,I must have the right string now I measured the way Jill suggested and the brace height is 7 5/8" from the deepest part in the grip to the string. Now I can hardly see any twist in the bottom limb and the string rides in the very center of the groove.I think the first string was way to short!Joe I will start flinging some arrows and adjust it to the sweet spot thanks for your replies Jill and Joe ...Tony