Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sound Off (MichiganForums.com) Sound off about anything you want, politics, news, sports. Must be a member for 30 days to post here.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 23Users Photo Gallery
Default Eden Pure Heaters, who has one?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I have tested one that a family member has and they seem to be the real deal. Looking mainly to use in a 34ft park model trailer instead of spending money on propane. Electric is already included in the yearly fee so thats not an issue. I know the one my stefather has seems to heat his 36 ft park model with no problem...his furnace never kicks pn and the place stays nice and warm. They run just under $400. not cheap but neither is a couple 100# tanks of propane. The heater would pay for itself in less than two fall hunting seasons.
If you have one, are you happy with it?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

I heard the replacement bulbs are expensive. I think you could get by with a 500w electric heater with a thermostat much cheaper and it would last longer.

You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something in your life.................Winston Churchill
Remove this ad...  
Old 10-28-2009, 01:23 PM

Photos: 68Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Michihunter

I tend to agree with Consumer Reports on the Eden. http://blogs.consumerreports.org/hom...re-heater.html

Quote:
Are EdenPure space heaters just a lot of hot air?

Edenpure_model_gen3_1000_space_heat Surely you've seen a full-page ad in a major newspaper for EdenPure space heaters, heard veteran radio commentator Paul Harvey tout them on his national radio program, or read the comments—both glowing and negative—from owners of these appliances on Web forums.

The newspaper and radio ads, including one in the October 29, 2008, edition of The Wall Street Journal, promote the EdenPure Model GEN3 500 and the Model GEN3 1000 (shown) as a "new advanced portable heater that can cut your heating bill by up to 50%," promising that you'll "never be cold again." One hype-filled newspaper ad also features a Q&A with Julius Toth, director of product development for BioTech Research, in which Toth espouses the many benefits of these heaters. (BioTech Research, whose slogan is "Better health through technology," offers a slew of other promised-filled products, including the AbGone Pill, Instant Facelift, and the Smellkiller Air Cleanser.)

We have not tested the GEN3 500 or 1000 models, which, according to a customer-service representative at BioTech Research, has seen "major improvements" from the brand's Quartz Infrared 1000, $400, which we tested for our 2007 report on space heaters. Let's just say that our experts were not transported to paradise by the EdenPure we did review.

The unit was the second-lowest-scoring space heater we tested, earning only a 24 out on our 100-point scale. According to the folks in our Tech department who tested space heaters, the EdenPure provided lackluster temperature control and was not particularly easy to use, What's more, it was pricey and lacked an overheat-protection feature (key for safety). The GEN3 models do have this important safety feature, according to BioTech Research.

If you're in the market for a new space heater, be dubious about any heater whose manufacturer claims the appliance will slash your heating bills. Here's why:

For every degree that you lower your home thermostat in the winter, you'll save about 3 percent on heating costs. So the only way to really save with a space heater would be to use the unit in the room you're in and turn down the thermostat elsewhere in the house so that your main heating system would not operate. To save 50 percent on your heating bill, you'd have to lower the home thermostat about 17°F. Also, based on national average fuel prices, using an electric space costs more than twice as much to operate as a natural-gas-fueled central-heating system.

Before you shop for a space heater, read our report, which includes buying advice and ratings of electric convection, electric fan-forced, and electric radiant models. We also tested propane and kerosene models but found a safety risk with that type.

Essential information: Read our recent tip of the day to learn how to save money on heating this winter and, perhaps, boost the value of your home.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 49Users Photo Gallery

I have one and agree with some of the report such as how much energy it uses.. Its to hard to tell because you use more energy in the winter anyways (For example shorter days = more light use) so I cannot verify how much it really uses..

On the other hand, I have the newer and larger model with overheat protection and used it all last winter 24/7 for 7 months straight and never had a problem.. If the filter in the back gets plugged, it shuts the bulb off and start blowing cold air and all you have to do is blow out the filter and it will start working again..

As for heat, it does a great job in a smaller area.. There is no way it will heat the sq ft it claims but the bigger until will work great in a room thats very well insulated and 400sq ft or smaller.

I like mine so much I was thinkng about getting another for my insulated workshop.

CB
Old 10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Guide

Default I have three

two of the big ones an one small one for the pool room in the basement,I have one running in main room of the house where we spend most of the day does a great job,the second is in bedroom,which we really don't need,who needs the heat on in bedroom? but there is a computer in there an when wife wants to use computer when its really cold she can turn that on,I'm satisfied with them
Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery

They are not all that good as the ads say. Friend bought one and then she got her electric bill! It was almost $200 for the month. Now she hardly uses it. There are a lot of people buying a better and more efficient heater from http://eheat.com including myself and my neighbors. My furnace is still off and the entire house is at 70 degrees when I just use the 2 in the front rooms and the back one at night. They are only 350 watts instead of the other 1500 watt high use ones. Yjey have a new model out now that is only $89 so I might get 1 more.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 16Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Frantz

I have heard nothing but bad things about them. My in-laws have one and they do not care for it at all.

I have been checking around and have seen a lot of good reports on the unit below and am considering getting one for my daughters room along with a little inline thermostat that plugs into the wall.

http://eco-heaters.net/index.html