Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Archery > Crossbows
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Crossbows Discussions about the use of Crossbows in Michigan.

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Guide

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery
Default ILLEGAL Crossbows for MI. Hunting

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
After reading and hearing about some of the crossbows people are buying to use for hunting, I thought maybe we should have a list of crossbows that exceed the 350 fps law that we have here in Michigan....(Unless you are grandfathered in under your disability permit)

Please remember that the DNR will be using the manufacturers data to determine speed so adjusting arrow weight WILL NOT matter..

Make - Model - Speed

PSE - TAC 15 - 402-412 fps
BowTech - Stryker - 405 fps
BowTech - Stryke Force - 385 fps
Barnett - Predator - 375 fps
Scorpyd - RDT 125 - 370 fps
Darton - Lightning - 362 fps
Middleton - DTM 355 - 355 fps
Middleton - DTM 375 - 375 fps

If you find other crossbows that exceed 350 fps please post their names and speed...

Mike
Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 PM

Photos: 68Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Michihunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beervo2 View Post
After reading and hearing about some of the crossbows people are buying to use for hunting, I thought maybe we should have a list of crossbows that exceed the 350 fps law that we have here in Michigan....(Unless you are grandfathered in under your disability permit)

Please remember that the DNR will be using the manufacturers data to determine speed so adjusting arrow weight WILL NOT matter..

Make - Model - Speed

PSE - TAC 15 - 402-412 fps
BowTech - Stryker - 405 fps
BowTech - Stryke Force - 385 fps
Barnett - Predator - 375 fps
Scorpyd - RDT 125 - 370 fps
Darton - Lightning - 362 fps
Middleton - DTM 355 - 355 fps
Middleton - DTM 375 - 375 fps

If you find other crossbows that exceed 350 fps please post their names and speed...

Mike
I think that might be a bit premature Mike. I'm still in conference with the DNR in that regard and at the moment it's not clear as to what will be deemed illegal. I've received two different responses and the law Division is asking for clarification. The problem arises from the language being used and the intent of the NRC when they made the stipulation.
Clearly the NRC deemed the "speed" of 350+ fps illegal and not the bow itself. Yet the language is clouded by using the term "capacity" of a bow. As soon as I get confirmation of EXACTLY what the law will encompass, I will certainly pass it along. In the end it may end up being just what you are posting but I have a feeling that won't stick too long.
Remove this ad...  
Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Guide

Please let me know Ted, I was going by what 2 different CO's have told me.. Sorry if I'm wrong... It's sure not the first time and I know it won't be the last time...
I was just trying to give somebody the option of maybe buying a crossbow with a 350 fps rating or under just to be safe...

Mike
Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Please let me know Ted, I was going by what 2 different CO's have told me.. Sorry if I'm wrong... It's sure not the first time and I know it won't be the last time...
I was just trying to give somebody the option of maybe buying a crossbow with a 350 fps rating or under just to be safe...

Mike
I completely understand and by no means are you at fault here. It's just another bonehead writing a sentence that has no clue as to what the ramifications could potentially be.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 PM

OK here's the update as told to me and quoted from the MDNR Facebook which can certainly be regarded as public info. The DNR representative responding is Debbie Munson Badini. When I asked if this was the official MDNR position she responded:Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Ted -- yes, this is the official DNR response. If you have further technical questions, I'd be happy to put you in touch with someone from our crossbow committee. So here's it is:

Quote:
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Ted -- the entire combination (crossbow plus bolt) needs to be in compliance with the 350 fps capacity rule. Very few crossbow packages are available that exceed the 350 fps bolt velocity regulation. If you are making modifications to your crossbow or accessory equipment combos, the DNR recommends that you consult with your equipment supplier to ensure that you stay in compliance with the 350 fps regulation. Law enforcement will evaluate potential violations on a case by case basis. Thanks again for the great question!
I believe this is pretty clear from this statement that the crossbow will not be deemed illegal UNLESS it exceeds 350fps with the bolt you are using to hunt with.

Last edited by Michihunter; 09-03-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Guide

Thanks Ted, that clears it up pretty good.....
If you can adjust your arrows to slow your crossbow down it should be legal no matter what the manufacturers rating is...

Moderators please delete this thread..

Mike
Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ted, that clears it up pretty good.....
If you can adjust your arrows to slow your crossbow down it should be legal no matter what the manufacturers rating is...

Moderators please delete this thread..

Mike
Agreed. Which was the intent as we heard it anyway.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

It's just like horsepower rating on an engine.......depends what RPM it is tested at.

Test the crossbow with a heavier bolt, and voila, a lower FPS rating.

So, just call the company, and have them send you a sticker with the speed rating as tested with a heavier arrow.....slap that on your bow, and how can it be fought??????

You could take a bow rated at 350, and use an 85 grain head, carbon bolts, light components, and be way over the limit.

Another case of big government not knowing what the hell they are talking about, and just passing laws that look good on paper
Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 PM

Default All Crossbows Legal

Great news MI all the bows listed in this post are now legal.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:01 AM
Tracker

Photos: 7Users Photo Gallery

Just curious, would a bow rated at 350' PS (excalibur exomax) be illegal ?? or would it have to be over 350'PS to be deemed illegal.Thx
Old 08-13-2010, 05:59 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

The NRC voted last night to remove all restrictions on crossbow hunting, for 10 yr olds and up, across the state except after Nov 30 in the UP. In addition the sunset rule was eliminated.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyandal View Post
Just curious, would a bow rated at 350' PS (excalibur exomax) be illegal ?? or would it have to be over 350'PS to be deemed illegal.Thx
They are all legal now...

Mike