Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law Got a question about MI hunting/fishing law that you just can't figure out from the guide book?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Guide
Rank Type

Default Felony law

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Ok my brother-in-law got a felony in 1996 for a insurance skam of some sort.(I do not have all details his business is his business)

So he has a 7yr old daughter who goes fishing with us all the time and she is around the barn when we are done hunting. Well she wants to bow hunt and start going out in the woods with us. He has used up every lie and excuse that the book has to detour the situation, cause he has not hunted himself since his incident. He has been honest with me and wife that he wants to hunt so bad but he didnt know the laws for him to get backinto hunting so he can take his daughter.

I'm not sure how it works either but, the man has been clean and makes a high 5 figure salary and would be a great asset to the hunting community.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, please dont mis lead the subject if your not 100% sure of the laws.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

If he is off parole it is no problem for him to hunt with/possess a bow or crossbow.

Over time most non-violent felons can possess a firearm or get rights restored under Michigan law. But, most still have issues with Federal Law.

It would be best for him to consult with an attorney that specializes in "resoring firearm rights"

Daughter could go along with him(watch) bow hunting now. She must be 10 to bow hunt on private property.

Here are some of the laws that would apply:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(zyt...e=mcl-750-224f

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ejb...ame=mcl-28-424
-------------------------------

Follow this link to "Ask the DNR" and will give you more information -links to follow...

http://midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/Mi...p_sort_by=dflt

Last edited by malainse; 09-02-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: bad link
Remove this ad...  
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

If the guy only has one conviction on his record he might qualify to have it expunged.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg

Nonviolent crime, even though he is a convicted felon. He should be able to use a bow to hunt with.

He should consult his attorney on this though. But being it is not a firearm and he did not loose his privelage to hunt. He should be able to hunt with a bow with out having to have the conviction expunged. Or trying to restore rights to own and posess a firearm.

Felony law - Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
1996-2003

"It'll take more then Duct Tape to fix it!"

www.camospace.com/bigcountrysg
www.facebook.com/bigcountrysg
www.myspace.com/bigcountrysg
Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I would also recommend a lawyer, but not just any attorney, one well versed in 2A cases. He should be fine with a bow but it were me I'd go for full rights restoration.

I heard something about the congressional budget, this year they have funding included for the ATF to examine gun restoration issues. I dont know if it will be taken out at the last minute but that program has been unfunded since Clinton's days.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Guide

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

He can ask for a govenors parden..
Old 09-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 39Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
He can ask for a govenors parden..
Whats a parden?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Michiganiac
Rank Type

Photos: 16Users Photo Gallery

As stated, he's good with a bow or crossbow. For firearms, this question comes up on a regular basis. In a nutshell, a convicted felon can have his firearms rights restored after 3 years for non specified felonies or 5 years for specified felonies after all conditions are met (confinement, fines, probation, parole, etc). The difference between them is that the felon falling under the 3 year criteria automatically has their rights restored after these conditions are met. The felon falling under the 5 year criteria does not and has to apply and have them restored through the local gun board. Federal Law will honor Michigan Law, restoring felon rights under these conditions. The single best advice for your brother in law is to contact an attorney (or county prosecutor) and discuss the issue with them and take care of whatever legal process he may need to if he want's to firearms hunt.