michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery Out of the ordinary outdoor sightings, pictures, mushroom gathering, and other miscellaneous activities.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 18Users Photo Gallery
Default red prickly berry?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I was in a hurry and stumbled upon a bush full of red prickly berries. Not the plant mind as far as I could tell but the berries themselves.

Any ideas?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Master Sportsman

Forty years ago, my grandmother grew several currents, several gooseberries among other small fruits on her farm. One bush had spines on the edible, red, globular fruit, although I can't be certain, look into those two. And new breeding may have eliminated the pesky pickers from the skin, you may have to look for a heirloom cultivar. Good luck.
Remove this ad...  
Old 08-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Michigan Sportsman

sweet. I am going north next weekend to bust out a floor drain. I will try and get over to the property to take some pictures. odd thing I have NEVER seen a fruit like this. It caught me completely off guard. I hope it is edible fruit.

I thought it might be some type of gooseberry but I couldn't find pictures to match it.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Michiganiac
Rank Type

Photos: 9Users Photo Gallery

Is this what you are seeing?

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/ribes2b.jpg

Wild gooseberries are a light red, and are ripe when they are green.

Steve
We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes--something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view.

Aldo Leopold--Thinking Like A Mountain
Old 08-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Michigan Sportsman

it's not exactly those. Not as prickly, more odd shaped with less spines. The berries are red and green at the same time.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Michiganiac
Rank Type

Photos: 9Users Photo Gallery

I believe that you are referring to the "Wild Prickly Gooseberry". Common in Michigan. Some have some red in them when they are ripening, but MOST turn a green (2-tone striped) when ripe. Also referred to as wild green current and dogberry by some.

Not many good photos on the net, but take a peek here (gooseberries): scroll to page 69 and look at the photo of the berry in the lower left.

Another give-away is the leaf shape. Over the years I have seen 2-3 different species on my treks through the woods. Some have no spines on the fruit, but they do one the stems (some on both). I have also seen a wide variety in the coloration of the fruit.

Steve
We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes--something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view.

Aldo Leopold--Thinking Like A Mountain
Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Ack! I went back last weekend and wouldn't you know but all the berrys were gone! every single one was picked off by some animal. I have kicked bears out of my black berry patch so it doesn't surprise me but I was a little bummed being I wanted to take some pictures at least...

Oh and our black berry plants are still 3-4 weeks from being ripe.