Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Out and About > Boating and Boat Rigging
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Boating and Boat Rigging Discuss how to rig your boat or other floatation device, the rules of the water, and safety.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2009, 03:13 PM
lmholmes11's Avatar
lmholmes11 is offline
Guide
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Owosso, MI
Posts: 369
Default Is boat insurance required?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Are you required to have boat insurance in Michigan?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2009, 06:17 PM
SoggyPaws SoggyPaws is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sault Saint Marie
Posts: 226
Default

I guess the answer is "it depends".

If you still have a loan on it, the the bank will require you to carry insurance.

If it's paid for, then no it not required but still a good idea. I have only had to file a claim once in all the years of boat ownership but it was nice. Hit a log floating just under the surface out of Frankfort at full speed. Just about sheered the out drive right off.

That was back a bunch of years ago when a log barge tipped in bad weather and dumped all those log off into Lake Michigan. What a mess that was.

For the low cost, it's good....well....insurance.
Reply With Quote
Remove this ad...  
  #3  
Old 06-11-2009, 07:30 PM
paulywood paulywood is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Louis(the Michigan one)
Posts: 1,055
Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery
Default

Boat insurance is not required, but it is very inexpensive and probably a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Jasper302 Jasper302 is offline
Guide
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Garden City Mi
Posts: 309
Default

I have my boat insured for 7k. Its just under 95.00 a year.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
SoggyPaws SoggyPaws is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sault Saint Marie
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper302 View Post
I have my boat insured for 7k. Its just under 95.00 a year.
I was trying to remember what we pay. The wife does the bills. I wanted to say the new (used and paid for) boat, 18.5 Regal, is less than 100 bucks or right around there. The 24 footer was something like 120 for the year for 10k insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-2009, 08:01 AM
lmholmes11's Avatar
lmholmes11 lmholmes11 is offline
Guide
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Owosso, MI
Posts: 369
Default

Thanks for the reply guys. I fiured it would be pretty cheap. I just didn't know if I don't have insurance on the boat by the time i wanted to go out for the first time this year, if I would get a citation. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Islander26 Islander26 is offline
Guide
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Commerce, Mi
Posts: 743
Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery
Default

Lets not forget the liability issue in this day and age....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2009, 09:32 AM
just ducky's Avatar
just ducky just ducky is offline
Michigan Sportsman
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: DeWitt, Michigan
Posts: 11,896
Photos: 42Users Photo Gallery
Default

Check with whoever you have for home insurance. When I bought my new Lund a few years ago, I checked with my agent, and I added a small rider to my home insurance policy to provide minimal coverage for both on and off the water. I'm not sure what it costs, but I recall it was peanuts when done that way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Michigander1 Michigander1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,562
Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by just ducky View Post
Check with whoever you have for home insurance. When I bought my new Lund a few years ago, I checked with my agent, and I added a small rider to my home insurance policy to provide minimal coverage for both on and off the water. I'm not sure what it costs, but I recall it was peanuts when done that way.
Not good idea.If something happen to your boat it will jack everything else up too.Your best bet is Bost US ins.I had them for yrs .2 claims and never a problem,Mich
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM
wally-eye's Avatar
wally-eye wally-eye is offline
Michigan Sportsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newaygo county
Posts: 12,494
Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander1 View Post
Not good idea.If something happen to your boat it will jack everything else up too.Your best bet is Bost US ins.I had them for yrs .2 claims and never a problem,Mich

Didn't happen with me. Had my boat insured with Auto Owners as a rider on my house policy. 2004 Tracker bought new in April 04 and in May 04 was cruising across Muskegon lake and hit a submerged railroad tie wrapped in heavy chain.......tie was underwater about 18 inches......hit it with motor and literally ripped the prop and the the entire contents of the prop housing out..... Needed a entire new lower unit ($2400) on a month old boat/motor. Insurance paid and my boat premium/house premium never went up a penny........ The premium for the boat ins. was around $89 a year........glad as heck I had it.....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Scott K's Avatar
Scott K Scott K is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,643
Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper302 View Post
I have my boat insured for 7k. Its just under 95.00 a year.
Does that cover it just when it's in the water or would it cover an accident out on the road or the boat stolen out of your yard etc?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Michigander1 Michigander1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,562
Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally-eye View Post
Didn't happen with me. Had my boat insured with Auto Owners as a rider on my house policy. 2004 Tracker bought new in April 04 and in May 04 was cruising across Muskegon lake and hit a submerged railroad tie wrapped in heavy chain.......tie was underwater about 18 inches......hit it with motor and literally ripped the prop and the the entire contents of the prop housing out..... Needed a entire new lower unit ($2400) on a month old boat/motor. Insurance paid and my boat premium/house premium never went up a penny........ The premium for the boat ins. was around $89 a year........glad as heck I had it.....
Did you need a tow in ? When i spun my cuppler on my boat in TC they charged me the min they left the dock.Boat US covered it thank God.Or else i would have to pay on the spot.Pretty sure it was like $125.00 an hr.Tow company works out of Ecorse channel.Just know that your towing on the water is covered alone is worth it to me .Funny thing is a 2 k boat and a 2400 dmg to replace the cuppler .Mich
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-18-2009, 02:58 PM
wally-eye's Avatar
wally-eye wally-eye is offline
Michigan Sportsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newaygo county
Posts: 12,494
Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander1 View Post
Did you need a tow in ? When i spun my cuppler on my boat in TC they charged me the min they left the dock.Boat US covered it thank God.Or else i would have to pay on the spot.Pretty sure it was like $125.00 an hr.Tow company works out of Ecorse channel.Just know that your towing on the water is covered alone is worth it to me .Funny thing is a 2 k boat and a 2400 dmg to replace the cuppler .Mich


No tow needed. About a mile from the launch and just dropped the trolling motor and put it on high as I stewed and cussed all the way to the launch and back to the house.... Only good thing was that D&R in Kzoo had a new lower unit in stock so I was only out of service 4 days....... Brand new boat about $15k and a month or so old and $2400 damages, funny only problem I ever had with that boat and we beat the snot out of it.......
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 AM
bigbuck bigbuck is offline
Guide
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 573
Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery
Default boat insurance

Boat insurance is not required by the state, if you have a llienholder they will require it. Depending on the type, size, and age of the boat will determine where it is best insured. I'm a licensed insurance agent and most of the time I put my clients boat on their homeowners policy if they have one. This is usually but not always the best bet. A loss on your boat does not automatically increase your homeowners insurance. I was involved in a not at fault auto wreck totaling both boat and vehicle. this did not result in an increase in my insurance rate.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
PrestonDee PrestonDee is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Like others posting in here, am a bit confused about all the insurance options, laws, etc. So thanks to everyone for the informative posts! Also thought I'd add in my two cents. I read a couple good articles on http://www.boatinsurance.org - nice site that compares companies, policies and all that. So hope it helps anybody still confused as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2011 Michigan-Sportsman.com flagship of the iGreatLakes.com network