michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Firearms
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Firearms Discussion of all firearm weapons, including Concealed Carry Weapons, Muzzleoaders, Rifles, Shotguns, Reloading, Target Shooting, Black power tech. No sales please.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Default H&R Ultra Slug Accuracy

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I've heard nothing but good things about these guns and I just needed a new toy so I picked one up in 20 Gauge. I mounted a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 on it and bought a variety of ammo to group test.

I fired one box of each of the following slugs all in 2 3/4"...Remington Buck Hammers, Hastings Lasers, Remington Copper Solids, Lightfield Hybreds and Hornady SSTs at a range of 50 yards just to see what the gun liked the best.

The Lightfields and Remington Copper Solids both shot 3/4" groups at 50 yards leaving me absolutely thrilled with the accuracy but also leaving me with the question of which load is better in terms of overall performance at ranges out to 150 yards.

I now have my ammo choice narrowed down to these two. Which brand should I use and why?
Old 05-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 15Users Photo Gallery

I have used lightfields in my 20 ga H&R with outstanding results.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier Pressure View Post
I've heard nothing but good things about these guns and I just needed a new toy so I picked one up in 20 Gauge. I mounted a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 on it and bought a variety of ammo to group test.

I fired one box of each of the following slugs all in 2 3/4"...Remington Buck Hammers, Hastings Lasers, Remington Copper Solids, Lightfield Hybreds and Hornady SSTs at a range of 50 yards just to see what the gun liked the best.

The Lightfields and Remington Copper Solids both shot 3/4" groups at 50 yards leaving me absolutely thrilled with the accuracy but also leaving me with the question of which load is better in terms of overall performance at ranges out to 150 yards.

I now have my ammo choice narrowed down to these two. Which brand should I use and why?
If you are going to hunt at 150 yards, you had better shoot at 150 yards and see if you still have the accuracy. Many times a firearm will be accurate at 50 but not at longer range. 150 yards is, in my opinion, pushing the limit of shotgun performance. Especially so with a 20 ga. load.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery

I'm shooting the 12 gauge H&R so the ballistics are going to be different from your 20, but I am shooting consistant 1"-1.5" groups at 100 yards with the Lightfield Hybrid EXP's. My experience is that your going to get all different sorts of opinions with other owners as each gun seems to have it's own personal preference to load type. Here is my set-up...
Firearms
Old 05-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 17Users Photo Gallery

Pattern the 2 brands at 100 first to see if one falls apart. 150 is really pushing it for any slug, wind drift will play heck on your groups.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 39Users Photo Gallery

The lightfields will hit harder at 150. If they hold about same, stick with them.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

I shot a deer last season at 150+ with the Lightfields. I was prone with a bipod, the deer hit the ground got up ran/walked about 50 yards and died. I really like Lightfields. I never get an exit wound, but they seem to hit hard.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

I know 150 is certainly pushing it for a slug especially for a 20 GA, I was just throwing it out there because I typically hunt open farmland. I have done as far as 146 with my 12 Gauge in the past but normal ranges are well under 100 yards.

I read a post regarding Copper Solids not expanding at longer ranges and I'm curious to see if this is a common result or a fluke. I've also read many good things about Lightfields on this forum but I'm trying to keep my options open because my wife had a Lightfield slug brake-up after going through a doe's shoulder at close range. This just sticks in the back of my mind. Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 23Users Photo Gallery

People seem to get hung up on expansion when it comes to slugs and I'm not sure why to be honest. Maybe because we want to compare them to typical rifle performance. For example, lets say your using a .30-06 or a .308 and that 180 grain .30 caliber bullet expands fully and is pushing say .40 caliber upon exit. Pretty nice right? Well what caliber do people think the typical saboted slug is? In the .20 gauge many are already .45 caliber and some much larger. Many of the 12's start out at .50 caliber and can be as large as .70 caliber. Big hole entering the vitals, big hole exiting the vitals equals dead deer. Penetration with expansion is a bonus ofcourse, but big holes in vitals, expansion or no expansion and the end result is the same. Don't get to hung up on the expansion issue, just fined a quality load that is accurate in your gun and you'll be good to go. Congrats on the new gun, it's a good one!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Tracker

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery

I have the 12 and 20 ga H&R's. After shooting many slugs including the copper solids and the lightfields I can sum up what I came up with.

Copper solids dropped too quickly. I did not shoot any deer with them.

Lightfields had tight groups and low recoil, but after a few deer shot with these I looked for something better. The lead broke up on some and the deer ran a bit.

Partition Golds had good groups and perform well on deer. Awesome slug.

Platinum Tip slugs shot great groups and made big exit wounds. Most deer up to 90 yards dropped with the little 20. With the 12 it is a sight to see. Last year, I shot 2 deer at 100 yards and both dropped instantly.

With your set up, I would try the new Remington accutips, the Federal Barnes tmz, the Partition Golds and the Win Platinum tips. Shoot them at 100 yards and then pick your favorite.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll throw Federal Barnes and Partition Golds into the ring and test them along with the Lightfields and Copper Solids at 100 yards and see what the gun likes best.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcenter View Post
I have the 12 and 20 ga H&R's. After shooting many slugs including the copper solids and the lightfields I can sum up what I came up with.

Copper solids dropped too quickly. I did not shoot any deer with them.

Lightfields had tight groups and low recoil, but after a few deer shot with these I looked for something better. The lead broke up on some and the deer ran a bit.

Partition Golds had good groups and perform well on deer. Awesome slug.

Platinum Tip slugs shot great groups and made big exit wounds. Most deer up to 90 yards dropped with the little 20. With the 12 it is a sight to see. Last year, I shot 2 deer at 100 yards and both dropped instantly.

With your set up, I would try the new Remington accutips, the Federal Barnes tmz, the Partition Golds and the Win Platinum tips. Shoot them at 100 yards and then pick your favorite.

Good luck.

Now there's some research! Thanks for sharing DC.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

if I were to hunt fields, I would have bought a muzzleloader.......
Old 12-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Master Sportsman

Default Hr 980

I found that the partition gold in 2 3/4" is the best choice for my 12ga 980. The 3" didnt shoot nearly as flat at varied distances for whatever reason, and the Lightfields Remingtons Fiochi Federals and std Winchesters didnt cut it, they were slow and grouping was horrible with mine so I stuck with the Winchester Supremes. Theres no doubt these guns are super accurate, ill spare y'all from saying "ya right.." with all the stories but id definately buy another one without thinking twice.
One other thing, because of the breech mount setup these guns are notorious for breaking scopes, dont waste your money on cheap ones for these, I started with a Tasco then a Bushnell, both of them broke the cross hairs within shooting 4-5 times. Then I bought a Leupold 3x9 (because they have lifetime warrantys) and its been on the gun for 10 years still crystal clear, bright, and going strong.