Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Fishing > Warm Water Species Fishing > Detroit River and Lake Erie
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detroit River and Lake Erie Two of the state's Walleye gems.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Master Sportsman

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery
Default Silver Bass are tasty!!!

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Well I have some perch and eyes in the freezer like many of you and I give away a lot of fish. We caught a few eyes the other day and one silver bass. We are spoiled (when it comes to fish) but I have been wanting to try a silver bass. I tried a gorgeous light colored small mouth last year and could barely bring myself to take a bite. The small mouth wasn't very good. But this silver bass seemed to be just the right size to try (probably about 14 inches long). I just used the "shoulder" meat and soaked in milk (skim) for 24 hours. I then poured the milk out and brushed a little egg on it and dipped it in italian bread crumbs with some black pepper, garlic powder and a bit of hot red pepper. Usually I make my own tartar sauce for walleye and perch from miracle whip, sour cream (4:1) two tablespoons of non-sweetened sweet pickle relish, and a liberal dose of chopped up jalapenos. Well to be fair and impartial I just put a bit of lemon juice on it and tried it without any sauce. It was delicious! I sauteed it in a bit of olive oil and it was flaky, tender and not at all oily. I couldn't believe it. It was comparable to walleye and the texture was not too dissimilar (maybe a skosh less soft but not much). I recommend you try it. I put some pics of the fish in my downstairs freezer (so you didn't think I was desperate! ) and a couple of the bass in my gallery since I don't know how to post the pics.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Photos: 57Users Photo Gallery

This is what I had done with 16 of them little silvers, (smoked) taste great. This is the last one they didn't last long I'm ready for round 2.
Silver Bass are tasty!!! - Detroit River and Lake Erie
Remove this ad...  
Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Guide

Photos: 31Users Photo Gallery
Default Silver's

I don't know why silver bass get a bad rap, they are delicious.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Guide

Send a message via Yahoo to mczerny

I dont think it's the silver bass getting the bad rap, it's the rock bass!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 20Users Photo Gallery

i eat them and the white perch !......like wh perch better
7-8 $$ lb at kroger

nothing beats walleye .....white bass in comparison always play 2nd fiddle
especially when eating along side of walleye.....makes them taste worse

be like ordering corn dogs with a steak dinner
Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs Up

Just keep them iced down after catching them and either fry them before freezing or smoke them, I did about 50 of them in my smoker last year and everyone that tried them enjoyed em. Al
Old 04-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Yuck!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

Does anyone have a legitimate reason for why people insist on soaking fish in milk?
I've seen this mentioned in numerous recipes, and with numerous fish species, and have never been able to figure out why people do this.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

Thumbs Up Silver secrets

The secret to tender good tasting fish (not just silver bass) is keeping them ice cold after they are caught. Too many fishermen just throw fish in a cooler with not enough ice. After the fish have been on ice in your cooler for your day of fishing,clean them immediately and keep them ice cold. You can store fish for some time if packaged properly,but there is nothing better than fresh fish on the grill,deep fried,pan fried or smoked.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Master Sportsman

milk takes the fishy taste and smell out of the fish, people from the south or the ones that live close the ocean like white bass more than perch & walleye because it has the fishy taste & smell just like salt water fish.thats what they are used to eating
The best way to cook white bass [whole] is to rap it in foil and throw it in the fireplace or fire pit, not in the oven. When itís done just add salt & lemon this is the tastiest I ever had it .
Old 04-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Photos: 57Users Photo Gallery

I think the reason why silver bass and rock bass get a bad rap is because of the word bass! When in reality they are considerd pan fish, and rock bass getting the bad rap fine dont eat em only the best eating next to perch. And dont nock it till you try it.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Guide

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczerny View Post
I dont think it's the silver bass getting the bad rap, it's the rock bass!
I tried a couple rock bass last year and they were great, won't hear any complaining from me.

I think with silver bass the temperature must make a difference, I have tried a couple caught in the spring when the water temp is still pretty cold and they were fine. I then tried some later in early summer when the water temp was up and they smelled and tasted like a fishy skunk.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 30Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmustafa414 View Post
The best way to cook white bass [whole] is to rap it in foil and throw it in the fireplace or fire pit, not in the oven.
Yep, toss into the fire and forget it.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 29Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kype138 View Post
Does anyone have a legitimate reason for why people insist on soaking fish in milk?
Way to many people do not treat the fish they caught properly right from the start. The fish should be killed immediately and placed on ice. It should not be put on a stringer, in a basket, or left to slowly die in a live well with surface temperature water in it. Ice the fish down.

Since so many people have not iced their fish they tend to want to mask that fishy smell and taste by soaking in whole milk.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Guide

I`ve had silver bass in the past and they are great.I`ll also keep a good size rock bass as well in the winter ,ice fishing .But the colder the water that you catch them out of the more firm they are. I`ll never forget my dad when growing up,we caught some 5 to 10 pound sheep head. You guessed it..He thought why waste them ...I could never think of do that to my kids.. The thought of eating sheep head ,especially 5 to ten pound lake Erie sheep head,is just stomach turning.Oh,... I have a great recipe for sheep head..... Take a whole six to ten pounder and scale it real good, you can leave the head on or off then you take about a pound of well rinsed gravel stone ,stuff the sheep head with the gravel, spice it up and if you want soak it in any type milk you want or cream. cook till it flakes apart ,then take the gravel out throw away the sheep head and eat the remaining gravel....haha there ya have it the recipe for the week lol..