Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Archery > Crossbows
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Crossbows Discussions about the use of Crossbows in Michigan.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Tracker

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery
Default Anyone use a jaguar crossbow????

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I was looking for a starter crossbow and my mother bought me one for my birthday. She bought it from the sportsmanguide and it was really inexpensive. It's the Jaguar model and it has a 175lb draw. Has anyone ever used this particular model? Just wondering some opinions and if I should keep it or trade it in. I had to put it together and some of the parts seem cheap but I guess you get what you pay for. It did come with a red dot scope, quiver, and 4 arrows which is a bonus. Personally I did not like how the bow part attaches to the gun with only one bolt holding it. I also did not like that the cable attaches to the bow part with little plastic clips. It seems like it will be alright but it may turn out to be not very accurate. Any info on this bow is greatly apprieciated. Thanks Joel
Old 04-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

You may want to give it a try. I didn't see any poor evaluations of it. Some people were skeptical because of price or origin. If you could return it for a full refund or get full credit for it that may make sense. Would you plunk down some more money to get a different one?
Remove this ad...  
Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Tracker

Yeah I am sure I could get full credit back but if it works decent I will porbably hunt with it. I am eager to get out when the weather breaks and sight it in. I was just wondering if anyone else owned one and what they thought of it? It was a great price and hopefully I get it to shot straight.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Master Sportsman

my dad was having me look up some starter crossbows for him and he was interested in this because of the price. It looked like most people who bought it said that it was accurate and worked fine but it has a problem with those little plastic things that hold the string on you talked about. seems they are not meant to last and will break. i would for sure give it a shot though.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Tracker

Yep those plastic pieces are my main concern but it did come with some extras.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Guide

Crossbows are like anything else... you usually get what you pay for.

My guess is this crossbow is made in China.

Hopefully it will serve the purpose..

Keep us informed on how you do with it..
Old 04-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

I heard Taiwan.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Tracker

Taiwan is correct
Old 04-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Guide

I am not here to bash, but it will not last. Shoot it as you will but be very careful, when a crossbow comes apart things happen quick. I don't know what you paid but the Parker (no frills) Spartan starts at $399.95 and that is at 290fps+ with a Red Dot site.
Tech 9 strings
Old 04-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Typical View Post
I am not here to bash, but it will not last. Shoot it as you will but be very careful, when a crossbow comes apart things happen quick. I don't know what you paid but the Parker (no frills) Spartan starts at $399.95 and that is at 290fps+ with a Red Dot site.
I agree... Any time you have 175 pounds of stored energy that can be turned loose on you at any given moment I would want to make sure that the crossbow was made of quality materials.

Another lower price but great quality bow to consider would be one of the TenPoint recurves.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 AM

Thumbs Up

I have had one for about a year and it works fine has good groups even at 50 yards. U will need to square the bow and dont go by the lines that are marked for U mine was not square and I had to do it with a tape measure. I like it and it has been a good coyote bow. Not sure about 310 fps I would say its less than that but mine has not been chronographed.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:18 PM

Default jaquar cross bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint hunter View Post
i have had one for about a year and it works fine has good groups even at 50 yards. U will need to square the bow and dont go by the lines that are marked for u mine was not square and i had to do it with a tape measure. I like it and it has been a good coyote bow. Not sure about 310 fps i would say its less than that but mine has not been chronographed.
i have one and having a hard time sighting in r u useing the sahfts that came with it 2219 16 inches long what do u meen by square the bow does your string bow on the rail if u can help i would appreicate it thanks sonny
Old 11-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Sportsman

their right the bow is made in TAIWAN, if you can get your money back I would and upgrade, I would Reccomend A DARTON PHAZER well priced in also a Michigan based company.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 AM

Default jjaquar cross bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
I have had one for about a year and it works fine has good groups even at 50 yards. U will need to square the bow and dont go by the lines that are marked for U mine was not square and I had to do it with a tape measure. I like it and it has been a good coyote bow. Not sure about 310 fps I would say its less than that but mine has not been chronographed.
HI I HAVE ONE WHAT DO U MEAN BY SQUARE THE BOW HAVEING A HARD TIME SIGHTING IT IN I DONT LIKE THE WAY THE STRING SLIDES ON THE RAIL THE RAIL IS HIGHER THEN THE LIMBS IS YOURS THAT WAY? THERES A BOW IN THE STRING AT THE RAIL R U SHOTING 16 INCH. BOLTS? FLAT KNOCKS PLEASE LET ME KNOW ANY INFO. U CAN ON THIS BOW THANK YOU SONNY
Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 AM

Default Jaguar setup

The Jaguar is overall a good bow. The plastic things that used to break are made of a better material now. The 2009 model rarely gets broken limb tips. Just check with the store to make sure that is is a 2009 or 2010 model instead of 2008. The bow has sold out in most stores, so it may be difficult to find a 2008 model. You will probably end up with a 2010 or 2009 model anyway. The bow used to sell for as low as $150, but most U.S retailers are now asking $200 plus. This isecause the bow has become very popular and the quality has improved since its introduction in 2008.

If the limbs are not set properly the limb tips will break. That's because there will be more force on one side than on the other. Just use a measuring tape to check the length of each limb after you assemble it. If one side is too long, then the other side must be too short. Slide it over until both limbs are equal. The pressure pads should also be centered. It takes some extra time to get it right, but it saves time because you wont break the bow.

The bolts that come with it are good, but upgrading to carbon is a good idea. Most hunters use Carbon bolts. Use the aluminum for practice.

If the string unravels in the middle or on the ends, just put a drop of glue on it to hold it in place. All crossbow strings do this regardless of the manufacturer. If the longer strands start to break, then the string needs replacement. There are approximately 30 of the longer strands, so use common sense when it is time for a new string. If one or two break there is nothing to worry about. If 5 or six break, it may be time for a new string.

If the string does break, it is like dryfiring the bow. The limbs are strong enough top handle a dryfire but too many dryfires will damage the bow.
The 175 lb bow shoots at 240 fps if assembled properly. 310 fps is possible by making modifications, but this is not recommended. There is also a 150 lb model that shoots 220 fps, so make sure you buy the right one.

The scope has three dots to shoot at 20, 30, or 40 yards. If you use heavy or light bolts the trajectory will change, so practice at different ranges and get used to the bow before hunting with it. Even if you are a sniper, you have to get used to your weapon. If you don't you will miss.

I should let you know that I am a retailer and a hunter, so my review is accurate, but I do have a product to promote. I goy a buck last year and a doe in 2009 with the Jaguar. Both shots were at about 35 yards. If you want more information you can visit my site at canadacrossbow. com. Our prices are higher than the U.S because of different tax laws, so U.S citizens should order locally. Our parts are shipped right away, but they take a few weeks to arrive because of customs.

I did not have to tell you that I am a retailer, so don't start saying that I am biased. I already said that I do have a product to promote, so don't accuse me of trying to push up sales. It does not matter anyway because I am in a different country. From what I have read, this is a good forum and there is not much slander. thats why I chose this one to post too.