michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting > Basic Varmint Hunting Techniques
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Guide

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery
Default Land Access for Woodchuck hunting

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Hi Guys,

In the past, I have only shot woodchucks when some friend asks me to because they have problems with them. This year, I would like to do more serious woodchuck shooting because I have a new .223. I am going to try to get permission close to home. I was going to knock on some doors locally.

But I am curious as to how landowners will receive my requests to shoot woodchucks. I know how landowners receive requests to deer-hunt. (and I understand their feelings)

But do landowners in general welcome someone wanting to kill woodchucks? What are your experiences?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 39Users Photo Gallery

90 % will tell you no for deer hunting. 50 % will tell you no for turkey hunting. 90% will tell you YES for woodchuckin. It's a good way to build relations with landowners as well. Only thing some have a problem with is long range guns (which you have). You might have to tone it down to a 22 lr or even a bow.

Take enough chucks out, and you might even get to deer hunt
Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Guide

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Default Woodchucks

It's been my experience, the greater the woodchuck infestation/destruction, the more likely you are to gain hunting access to that land. Scout the fields from the road if possible to determine whether it's worth your while to ask. I recommend going alone when you ask for permission. Once you gain access and show success, the landowner will be more apt to allow an additional guest. Provide an occasional progress report. Land owners like to know that you are making a dent in the population and not just making alot of noise for nothing. I have spots that land owners allow me to return to year after year because their neighbors won't do their part in taking the pesky buggers out, on adjoining lands, therefore they can never truly be exterminated. Good for me, but bad for the irrigation ditches and roads. Since I've takin up woodchucking, I have been (offered) permission to hunt, turkey, rabbit, raccoon, coyote ,pheasant, geese and duck. I hope you have alot of time to hunt. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Asking for the "privledge" to hunt is like looking for a job. Neat and clean both you and the vehicle, eye contact, and yes personal references is a plus with your home phone or cell number. Make sure to go alone for the "privledge" and hunt alone for a while. Keep the landowner informed and a $1.00 thank you card mailed to the landowner goes a long way!
Some may think this proceedure is too much, but ask the 14 landowners where I have exclusive privledge for the last six years if it is! Believe me, this will set you apart from the other yahoo's out there.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Guide

Default chucks

Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Master Sportsman

never even seen one, where do you guys see these things? would love to kill a few