Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Out and About > Boating and Boat Rigging
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Boating and Boat Rigging Discuss how to rig your boat or other floatation device, the rules of the water, and safety.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery
Default 16' Mirrocraft with 70" beam

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Looking into one, just wanted an opinion on the short beam length and 2' waves.

I'm looking for an all around boat I can take into small inland lakes and also be OK in more open water like the major river systems in MI...i.e. Detroit River, St. Mary's River, St. Clair River, etc.
"Once you cross our State line and go into other Midwestern states to bowhunt, it is like going to another world. Life as a bowhunter is just not fair if you happen to live and hunt in Michigan." ~ John Eberhart

"They don't need boot camps in Ohio." ~ Standsniper
Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Michigan Sportsman

P.S. There's a big price jump between a 16' and 17' with a wider beam...that's another reason I'm leaning towards a 16'. I may even increase my spending limit just to get a wider beamed 16-17'. Just thinking out loud for now.
"Once you cross our State line and go into other Midwestern states to bowhunt, it is like going to another world. Life as a bowhunter is just not fair if you happen to live and hunt in Michigan." ~ John Eberhart

Last edited by uptracker; 03-03-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Remove this ad...  
Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Guide

Photos: 22Users Photo Gallery

If you would consider "used", then it may provide you (and the seller) an opportunity to get a boat specific to your wnats/needs.

I bought used (based on advice form the forums here) and it was the best decision I've made so far in my angling quest.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 118Users Photo Gallery

I have a 16ft Lowe and I use it in the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers as well as LSC exclusively. I think it's got about a 60" beam (can't find the specs online at the moment). The guy who owned the boat before me (a member on this site) used it in Lake Huron and Michigan for salmon fishing.

The narrower beam will suffice. IF you can save your money and get the bigger boat, wider beam, and more powerful engine, I'd recommend doing that. Remember that whole "hindsight" thing?.......

Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Michigan Sportsman

big thing you want is good depth. the slimmer boat will cut threw the waves a little better. the wider will ride up on them. anyway you look at it the waves in the great lakes are tight enough together that your going for a ride. i'd try to stay below one footers till i got very comfortable in eather boat.
whats amaising is you see locals in boats that small on the ocean in four footers, but the waves are far enough apart that is a nice gentle rise and fall.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Tracker

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery

I have a 17' Sea-Nymph just over 60" i think. works great in 2'ers after that your wet and things start to pucker. I fished it out of Sebewaing all summer.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 12Users Photo Gallery

http://www.leadersmarine.com/pre_own...5R0&veh=834102 didn't know if you wanted a tiller or console, but as consoles go this is about as good as it gets
Old 03-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 23Users Photo Gallery

Most standard 16" aluminum boats have 73" to 76" beams.....depending on the boat your looking at. Plain jane utility boats however are narrower for sure...most anyway. Which boat you looking at specificaly since all 16 and 17 footers are not created equal.

Check out these wide G3 utility boats...the Guide 16 (NOT the smaller XT) is 84" wide...by far the widest in it's class!! The 18' is as well. Wide is where it's at imo...the wider the better.
http://www.g3boats.com/AnglerVSeries/GuideV/

I like the Mirrocraft boats...they are a good value imo, but they are narrower than others in similar size and style. I seriously looked at the 1615-O Outfitter with a 40hp 4 stroke a couple years back...nice boat, with nice features, good fishablity. Most boats in that class are at least 73" to 76" wide while that one was only 70" wide...the only downfall I could see, but it was priced nicely. I would not have hesitated to take that on any major river in Michigan and for that matter any of the big lakes under nice conditions.

Both Crestliner and Alumacraft now offer value 16ft tillers that are similar in floor plan to the outfitter an come outfitted with 25 hp 2 strokes for close to the $8000. mark.

Take a close look at the Alumacraft 1ft camp boat...84" beam and very open. This boat with a 40 yammy 4 stroke is likely my next boat.
http://alumacraft.com/deluxe-tiller-...mp-165-new.php Their 16ft fisherman tiller is a nice boat as well for not a lot of money.

Last edited by Swamp Monster; 03-03-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Thanks guys. I'm leaning more and more towards a Mirrocraft Troller 1677 or 1685. The 1677 is 16'2" and a beam width of 76". The 1685 is 16'9" and has a beam width of 84". Right around $13,000 is what the out the door price would be.

Guess I should have been more specific in the type of boat I wanted.

Swamp Monster,

Have you looked at the G3's yet? I looked at one last fall at the dealer up here. Basically the same boat as the Mirrocraft 1677, but he wanted $23,000.....OUCH!.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

I like the boat Shametamer posted as well. For my needs, that is as much boat as I need. If I new I would be fishing bigger water early and late in the year, that boat would be my pick!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Yeah, the G3's are expensive!! I wasn't sure what type of boat you were looking at. I have not priced the utiltiy boats but my guess is they are top dollar plus 10%. They do seem to be nice boats though, as well built as any.
I like the Mirro's as well.....I think they represent a lot of boat for the money. Resale on them is not as good as others...but no biggie. Those trollers are nice rigs imo. Doesn't seam like a bad price either....how does it spec out compared to the crestliner shametamer posted....that s good deal as well witha nice 87" beam.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 118Users Photo Gallery

One thing I think that's worth mentioning is, check out the space in the bow area before you buy. Sit in the bow mounted seat and put the foot control on the floor and "try it out." My uncle has a newer boat that we use occasionally and I do the trolling. The deck area on his boat is tight and uncomfortable. I'm a big guy and there's not enough room for my feet to move around freely. It's cramped. It's such a big deal that it's the first thing I think of when considering an upgrade for my Lowe.

(By the way, my Lowe has been the perfect boat for jigging. Maybe you should check one out.)

Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Monster View Post
how does it spec out compared to the crestliner shametamer posted....that s good deal as well witha nice 87" beam.
2009 MIRROCRAFT Troller - 1685, MIRRO CRAFT 1685 TROLLER. THIS PACKAGE INCLUDES: 2009 MIRRO CRAFT 1685 TROLLER, 50ELPTO 2STK MERCURY MOTOR, YACHT CLUB 1820B-BLK-ST TRAILER, HUMMINGBIRD 717 LOCATOR, MINNKOTA 55PD WITH QUICK RELEASE, AND BATTERY.

http://www.mirrocraft.com/boats/angl...ce/troller.php

For some reason, I'm steering away from Crestliner. My buddy fishes a few tournaments a year and had a Crestliner for 8 months and sold it because it was basically falling apart. All the hinges came apart, the oh **** handles came out, etc. He used the boat once or twice a week and didn't really hammer on. He ended up with a $27,000 used Skeeter after that and said he'd never buy a Crestliner again.

The Mirrocraft has a single console and is reated for a 95 hp motor although a 50 hp is on it. I sort of wonder if it's actually the 1677 model becasue of the motor size.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 12Users Photo Gallery

http://www.powerhousemarine.com/new_...h=40966#detail..how bout this? or http://www.spicersboatcity.com/new_v...737&pov=933226

Last edited by shametamer; 03-03-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Michigan Sportsman

This isn't a bad looking rig for $13,000 MSRP:

http://www.loweboats.com/showroom/de...hine/fm165.php