Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting > Basic Varmint Hunting Techniques
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Guide

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Spartans8989
Default coyote hunting over bait

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
We got 12 rabbits today in a place I know there is coyotes around. Anyways, we cleaned them and set the parts out in the woods and I hung a couple up in a tree. Im planning on sitting out there early tommorrow AM and again the next day if I dont see anything, maybe try a little calling. Anyone have luck this way? Ive never got a coyote let alone even hunted them but I sure am excited to give it a try!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Guide

It might take more than overnight for the coyotes to find the rabbits. Also, they are likely to take something that small away to eat it elsewhere. Birds of prey like hawks can carry them off too. I use roadkilled deer I find. They last a long time and stay put. I dump them out exactly where I want them in relationship to prevailing winds and where my ambush locations are. Several of my favorites are actually from deer shanties. That way I can sit longer in some comfort. It will work, but it's usually more waiting than shooting. Watching bait is best right at dawn. Make that after dark on a full moon. With bait out, snow on the ground, and a full moon, it is a very unique way to get coyotes. Good luck.
Remove this ad...  
Old 02-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 52Users Photo Gallery

perca got ya right. Just hope the dnr don't catch a deer sniffing around your bate. j.j. but good luck!!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Guide

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery

Roadkill deer are best, as was previously stated. That being said, coyotes will usually "check it out" first, the alphas will come by, any human sent will cause them to hold back. They will eventually come in, however as most bait hunters know, they are always three steps ahead of you. There is never really a pattern that I have found from the coyotes I hunt with bait. It is a matter of putting your time in, and like was said, waiting and watching. They usually always flank the bait and sent check it from any direction possible. Also from my expierence, if you have a frozen deer, be sure to be on that sucker when it is warm and it defrosts. The coyotes know when frozen food it thawed enough to eat it. They will skin a deer in a matter of hours and if you are not there, you will have a hide and remnants of a rib cage.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Sportsman

Default yotes at night

saw two yotes tonight around 9:30 moving towards road kill (no shots). 1 hour after sunset seems to be my areas peak activity.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Guide

Saw one at 0744 today heading through river bottom, no shot. Stopped long enough for me to notice him in the pre dawn early light in the river bottom. Had a bad wind, suspect he sented me. Most of my bait sightings have been early morning up to noon. Though I have seen them at all hours of the day, last one I shot was at 23:25. For what its worth.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:44 PM

Default coyote hunting first time

i will be coyote hunting for my first time on sunday. It will be me and my friend at his house. It is an open feild about 70 yards wide and 150 yards long with trees on both sides we will be on one side face int the bait on the other side (which will be the wide way. We will be hunting over a squirrel, can of meat loaft dog food,and dry dog food about 50 yards away. We will be calling and im going to use a 20 gauge adn my friend will be useing a 243.

Do you think it will work, and any tips!! Thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Master Sportsman

Last winter I made good use of several deer found on the side of roads. I would toss them in the ol pickup and drop them off into the middle of the feilds behind the hosienda. Usually after a night or two they will discover it and have their way with it. Never thought about hunting over the carcasses....but do enjoy learning from what they do when they receive several free meals in the winter when food is harder to come bye. Once they were even out there in the afternoon protecting the meal from other critters....and seemed to huddle and lay there all day lol.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Tracker

Photos: 21Users Photo Gallery

Guy down in Dundee use Rd.Kill deer and has a trailcam set up to pin point time of day and got some very nice pic's of Bald Eagle,Hawks and his Yotes.

The pic of the Eagle is a classic "Fast Food Ad" I wish I could download it to the site.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Master Sportsman

Default Coyotes over bait

Just one suggestion to you bait hunters- i always stack my deer carcesses down, making it impossible for the coyotes to carry it away.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Master Sportsman

Default Coyotes over bait

Thats ''stake'' the deer down
Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Master Sportsman

The best option I've used is is to create a "baitcicle" by placing meat scraps in a 5 gal bucket. Add warm water and allow to freeze solid. Place in a well thought out set taking the wind direction and most likely direction of approach, and distance of your shot. As long as it remains below freezing, the bait will last a long time and the yotes will revisit it. I use two sets. One for my long range rifle during the fringe hours. And, one for my night time guns (shotgun and .22 mag).
Old 12-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by croshair View Post
The best option I've used is is to create a "baitcicle" by placing meat scraps in a 5 gal bucket. Add warm water and allow to freeze solid. Place in a well thought out set taking the wind direction and most likely direction of approach, and distance of your shot. As long as it remains below freezing, the bait will last a long time and the yotes will revisit it. I use two sets. One for my long range rifle during the fringe hours. And, one for my night time guns (shotgun and .22 mag).

Good idea, most of the stuff I use is road kill deer, or if it is cool enough and I or friends get deer I hoard the scraps in my garage, but I think I will use this tactic with my scraps this year, even stik leg bones and such right in so they cannot carry them off. One question, once frozen solid it is difficult to remove from the bucket, or do you just put some more warm water in to remove it from the bucket?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Master Sportsman

Default Sticky baitcicles

Two options: some non-stick spray or any oil or lard will keep it from sticking. Also, a little warm water will loosen it up and will get the scent moving as well. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery

One year I set a road killed carcass out in the pasture at 1am (was planning on hunting it the next evening). At 8 am there was nothing but the hide, guts and the head with some neck "left overs".
Another time the deer was untouched by coyotes for over a week. One evening I spooked a pack of them getting ready for dinner while walking in. Went back 2 or 3 nights and they showed up every one of those nights but were so careful and spooky that it took them over 4 days to "finish the job" eating it.
Interestingly enough, the time I spooked them, it was early dusk hour. The other 2 or 3 times after that they showed up between 1am-2am.