michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Out and About > MichiganMushrooms.com
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MichiganMushrooms.com Michigan mushrooms, morels, hunting and identification.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery
Default Any other edible mushrooms besides morels?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I've always hunted mushrooms, but only morels...are there any other kinds that are edible?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Michiganiac
Rank Type

Photos: 58Users Photo Gallery

Yes there are several out there in spring, summer and fall. Get a good field guide, or better yet go with someone who knows what they are doing first.
Remove this ad...  
Old 02-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 26Users Photo Gallery

There's a ton of other edible shrooms out there. Some of them I even like more than morels too. Some are so, so as well. Like Boardman said feel free to get a good field guide, and going with someone else is good too. Here's a couple other sites that have good info on other shrooms too. www.mushroomexpert.com www.michiganmorels.com is a good one as well.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Michiganiac

Just came across this and fealt like sharing it on this post. I actually thought of this post and came back. There's some info on quite a few shrooms on this webpage. Some are poisonous, and some are edible. It'll give you a good idea on what to start studying if you're interested still. This just covers the mushrooms vaguely though. I'd study each one and get very intimate with everything about it before trying a new one right away though. Knowing the lookalikes and the real deal is good to know. However, there's several that once you know how to identify are super easy to ID. Hens, and Chickens are a good starter. There's quite a few others that are easy as well, but not 100% fool proof. Good luck!
http://www.michiganmorels.com/beyond_the_morel/
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Tracker

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

I am usually pretty careful with all the horror stories out there of eating the wrong mushroom. Here are the ones that I have found pretty easy to distinguish and very good too.. (besides morels):
Stump mushrooms (or Honey mushrooms)
Pinkies (or Meadow mushrooms)
Chickens/hens
puff balls

Other than those, I am not experienced enough to feel confident trying others. It always helps having someone show you the differences, and I have been eating these most of my life.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Michiganiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belair View Post
I am usually pretty careful with all the horror stories out there of eating the wrong mushroom. Here are the ones that I have found pretty easy to distinguish and very good too.. (besides morels):
Stump mushrooms (or Honey mushrooms)
Pinkies (or Meadow mushrooms)
Chickens/hens
puff balls

Other than those, I am not experienced enough to feel confident trying others. It always helps having someone show you the differences, and I have been eating these most of my life.
Honeys are easy to identify once you know what to look for, but the Galerina can easily be mixed up with it and it's VERY DEADLY! How to tell the difference at a quick glance is the honeys will have tightly packed white gills and a membranous ring. Galerinas will have brown gills and the ring isn't as defined. The Galerinas I tend to find have a smoother non-scaly top as well. However, there are other sub-species of it that look rather close. Meadows are a great mushroom to eat as well as the horse mushroom. However, there's a mildly toxic one with pink gills early on that turn brown like all Agaricus species. (Those two are Agaricus) Agaricus Xanthedermis (Forgive me if it's spelled wrong...Not sure.) I find this one very frequently in late summer-early fall and think it's a meadow all of the time. However, when you sniff it it's a dead give-away. It smells like someone just cleansed a hospital room. REALLY strong chemical smell. It also stains yellow right away on the cap and when you slice it. Meadows don't stain at all, and Horses do have a faint yellow staining on the cap, but not when you slice it. Horses early on also have a very distinctive cogwheeled rim on the bottom covering the gills. Also, just to be safe with all Agaricus species it's good to do a spore print to be safe. To a newbie you can easily mix them up with a species of Amanita. Most of these species like the destroying angel aren't friendly at all with a mistake. Eat it and you're on dialysis looking for a liver transplant. (Galerina has the exact same toxins too....Ama-toxins) However with alot of studying and knowing what to look for these are VERY good edibles. The horse I actually like more than morels. It's like a giant meaty portabello with 10 times the richness. Chickens and hens are very good starter shrooms though. They have no poisonous look alikes. If it has pores on the bottom instead of gills it's safe to eat. (Boletes have pores too, but are a typical shaped shroom and some are mildy toxic. However, there's alot that are edible and good,to a noob though.(I don't venture out of this one yet with these either. If it bruises blue, or has red or orange pores on the bottom don't eat it yet.(There's shrooms like the bi-color bolete that break this rule, but I'm not comfortable enough yet.))Puffballs are safe too. If you cut into it and it doesn't have gills. (Some amanitas in the button stage can confuse some, but they have a bulbous base and gills inside.) If it looks like a marshmallow inside it's safe. However, I don't care for puffballs much. Taste a bit like tofu. Not directing this one at ya either. Just putting important info out for others that may read this .

Last edited by fasthunter; 02-25-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Guide

Photos: 66Users Photo Gallery

a couple other "easy" mushrooms are hen of the woods and hericium. find them in the late summer and fall. theyre both good.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Michiganiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaterfan View Post
a couple other "easy" mushrooms are hen of the woods and hericium. find them in the late summer and fall. theyre both good.
I haven't found a hericum yet. I'm hoping to sometime though. What do they taste like?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 29Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthunter View Post
I haven't found a hericum yet. I'm hoping to sometime though. What do they taste like?
I found some last year but they were already past prime and I wasn't 100% positive on the ID. Once I knew what they were I did a search for recipes and a few of them said it makes a good substitute for lobster

If that's the case, you can bet I'm going to get to them a little earlier this season

-Homer Simpson
Old 02-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Guide

ive found two different types of hericium but this is the one that i usually find:

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/hericium_coralloides.html

i might be wrong but hericium seems more common where im from (NE Ohio) than it does in Michigan, judging from just a very few comments that people on mushroom sites have made. seems like more of a rarity in michigan?

i really like hericium, its got be one of the "easiest" mushrooms to ID. its really cool looking too.

taste....hmm....the consistency and taste is very pleasant. it looks like flat peices of cauliflower, the way i make it i guess. all i can really think of is that when its fried up in some butter its very good. kinda like a hen of the woods. some people say it doesnt taste like a mushroom at all but has a seafood like flavor. it almost has a slight sweetness to it. its pretty mild but has its own taste.

i find them in the fall, on a few tree types but mainly beech and maple. there is this old maple stump, sort of like a 15' tall, hollow stump. (a BIG stump!) and this stump was just COVERED with hericiums "puffs". theres some pics of this tree on MM on an old thread i made, from the fall of 2006. that was my "break-out" season, and the last time the summer and fall shrooming was totally awesome, so it worked out good for me, i learned a lot. hard to learn much when shrooms arent popping. '07 and '08 were dead around here compared to '06. i hope '09 is good! anyhow hericium are really easy to see, just look for the color white on maple and beech logs, stumps, branches, etc. i think black cherry too but not as much.

Last edited by hardwaterfan; 02-27-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Guide

Quote:
I found some last year but they were already past prime and I wasn't 100% positive on the ID.
i found parasols a year or two ago, same deal. now that i know what they are i have to wait for another year to go by.

you sure have to be patient if you want to do this hobby!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Michiganiac

Hi HW
There not that common by me but I do see a few every year
in the beech/maple woods sometime in August.
This is the only kind I've ever .
found.
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/hericium_erinaceus.html

They are good and an easy ID, but hard to get them when they
are prime due to the above.
First time I found them I laughed and said who the
heck would eat anything that looks like that.
Dang thing looks like cousin It.

Now Kings can be pretty common here, so I'll just
have to make due with them for now.

mike
Old 02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Michiganiac

Quote:
ive found two different types of hericium but this is the one that i usually find:

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/hericium_coralloides.html

i might be wrong but hericium seems more common where im from (NE Ohio) than it does in Michigan, judging from just a very few comments that people on mushroom sites have made. seems like more of a rarity in michigan?

i really like hericium, its got be one of the "easiest" mushrooms to ID. its really cool looking too.

taste....hmm....the consistency and taste is very pleasant. it looks like flat peices of cauliflower, the way i make it i guess. all i can really think of is that when its fried up in some butter its very good. kinda like a hen of the woods. some people say it doesnt taste like a mushroom at all but has a seafood like flavor. it almost has a slight sweetness to it. its pretty mild but has its own taste.

i find them in the fall, on a few tree types but mainly beech and maple. there is this old maple stump, sort of like a 15' tall, hollow stump. (a BIG stump!) and this stump was just COVERED with hericiums "puffs". theres some pics of this tree on MM on an old thread i made, from the fall of 2006. that was my "break-out" season, and the last time the summer and fall shrooming was totally awesome, so it worked out good for me, i learned a lot. hard to learn much when shrooms arent popping. '07 and '08 were dead around here compared to '06. i hope '09 is good! anyhow hericium are really easy to see, just look for the color white on maple and beech logs, stumps, branches, etc. i think black cherry too but not as much.
Thanks for the info Hardwater from the sounds of it I would LOOOVE to find some fresh specimens! I know an area around here with alot of maple-beech mix too. I'll have to give that area a look for sure.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Guide

Quote:
Now Kings can be pretty common here, so I'll just
have to make due with them for now.
just have to make do....lol!

maybe its just me but erinaceous seem pretty rare around here and when i do find them they are WAY up off the ground. ive never found one within reach from the ground.

Quote:
Thanks for the info Hardwater
sure, i hope you find some. post some pics when you score.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Michiganiac

Quote:
just have to make do....lol!

maybe its just me but erinaceous seem pretty rare around here and when i do find them they are WAY up off the ground. ive never found one within reach from the ground.

sure, i hope you find some. post some pics when you score.
Will do. Can't wait to look for them and someday eat them. I'll share pics. I tend to share new shroom pics anyways.