Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > MichiganBear.com
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MichiganBear.com Hunting bruins in the northern lower and upper peninsulas.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Tracker

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery
Default bear attack near cadillac

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
http://www.fox33.com/category/story/?id=143898 I talked with someone who is related to the guy and he was hunting without a license, probably with bait too but didn't know that for sure.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 37Users Photo Gallery

Thanks for the link......

perhaps he should have had a stick.......

Old 10-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

We had a bow deer hunter that had a bear come up his tree last year or the year before in WI. There may of been some cubs in the area and he may even of got bitten. Anyway he was not bear hunting but still had a run in with one.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Sportsman

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

Never been bitten but have had many encounters with bears.

Here is one...

I once had a Sow and 2 cubs at a bait site in Lake Counties Cherry Valley Township in the Baldwin District .

A larger boar was starting to approach the bait when all hell broke loose.Mom chases off Boar while one of the cubs run/climb up MY TREE. The cub climbed up above me and starting raising hell.

Mom returned and climbed halfway up my tree several times and swayed nervously under my tree swaying back and forth chopping her teeth.After what seemed like 20 minutes (probably 5 min)of me being very nervous the cub climbed onto another tree and climbed down and they all scampered off.

They actually came back the next night and many times after .Mom actually seemed to realize I was no threat but she would come to the base of my tree and look at me regularly.

FYI... I was armed but would Only shoot the bear as a VERY last resort under this circumstance.I actually spoke to her in a non threatning low voice. I am not sure if that helped.

One more interesting note....This sow had 4 cubs 2 years later and showed up at my bait site hundreds of times .She also would allow the sow cub from the previuos litter (the cub in my tree)to hang around most of the time.

Sorry about the story but this article brought back memories lol
Old 10-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Sportsman

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

Never been bitten but have had many encounters with bears.

Here is one...

I once had a Sow and 2 cubs at a bait site in Lake Counties Cherry Valley Township in the Baldwin District .

A larger boar was starting to approach the bait when all hell broke loose.Mom chases off Boar while one of the cubs run/climb up MY TREE. The cub climbed up above me and starting raising hell.

Mom returned and climbed halfway up my tree several times and swayed nervously under my tree swaying back and forth chopping her teeth.After what seemed like 20 minutes (probably 5 min)of me being very nervous the cub climbed onto another tree and climbed down and they all scampered off.

They actually came back the next night and many times after .Mom actually seemed to realize I was no threat but she would come to the base of my tree and look at me regularly.

FYI... I was armed but would Only shoot the bear as a VERY last resort under this circumstance.I actually spoke to her in a non threatning low voice. I am not sure if that helped.

One more interesting note....This sow had 4 cubs 2 years later and showed up at my bait site hundreds of times .She also would allow the sow cub from the previuos litter (the cub in my tree)to hang around most of the time.

Sorry about the story but this article brought back memories lol