michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Fishing > Cold Water Species Fishing > Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Guide

Photos: 7Users Photo Gallery
Default Gobies as bait

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
If I knew how to post a link or quote to the warm water section of Lake St. Clairs form, I would do so; but there is a thread there that has a comment from the DNR on the use of dead gobies as bait. Basically permitting them as bait.

The last two springs in St. Joe the hottest bait for Browns was gobies (dead, filleted, stepped on, or burped out half digested). There, a local DNR officer (tall black gentleman), informed a number of anglers that he would ticket for possession of dead gobies. Is there a new DNR position on this topic? or was this guy just uninformed? I know that Ray and a number of other locals were quite annoyed about this.

Any info appreciated.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery

Good question. I have never even thought of using gobies as bait. I see our local CO pretty regular, I will post if I find out anything.
Remove this ad...  
Old 10-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Tracker

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

Last summer I watched a guy on Hollands pier cut them up and put them on his perch rig. Almost every cast he was pulling out a perch or two
Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 113Users Photo Gallery

Are gobies rock dwellers like the sculpins are in rivers? I wonder if there is a soft plastic that would imitate them..?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 AM
2013 Member of the Year
Rank Type

Photos: 55Users Photo Gallery

It is still illegal to use them as bait!

From the online regulations at www.michigan.gov/dnr

IT IS UNLAWFUL TO:
Possess or transport any live transgenic (genetically engineered) organisms or the following nonnative fish: bighead carp, black carp, silver carp, grass carp (white amur), members of the snakehead family (Channidae), bitterling, Ide, Japanese weatherfish, rudd, tench, Eurasian ruffe, tubenose goby, or round goby. To do so may result in civil fines up to $10,000.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Guide

Photos: 20Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateOutdoorsman View Post
Are gobies rock dwellers like the sculpins are in rivers? I wonder if there is a soft plastic that would imitate them..?
They are very much like sculpins, the growing goby population is said to be driving the native sculpin population in to the tank. There are many soft plastics that imitate gobies very well.

This past spring there was a nice article in IN-FISHERMAN about great lakes brown trout and their affinity for gobies around piers. It was a article from a guy in WI, but it holds true here aswell.

~Just because you can, doesn't mean you should~

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson

Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 7Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueump View Post
It is still illegal to use them as bait!

From the online regulations at www.michigan.gov/dnr

IT IS UNLAWFUL TO:
Possess or transport any live transgenic (genetically engineered) organisms or the following nonnative fish: bighead carp, black carp, silver carp, grass carp (white amur), members of the snakehead family (Channidae), bitterling, Ide, Japanese weatherfish, rudd, tench, Eurasian ruffe, tubenose goby, or round goby. To do so may result in civil fines up to $10,000.
Live, it is illegal if they are live....

An Exerpt from "A River Runs Through Wellston"

Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports
Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartfroggy View Post
Live, it is illegal if they are live....

And transported- The Fish listed may not be transported.
Never has the State said you couldn't use them from the same body of water as bait.

It needs to be more clearly written/Or understood by local law enforcement.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Michiganiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDog View Post
They are very much like sculpins, the growing goby population is said to be driving the native sculpin population in to the tank. There are many soft plastics that imitate gobies very well.

This past spring there was a nice article in IN-FISHERMAN about great lakes brown trout and their affinity for gobies around piers. It was a article from a guy in WI, but it holds true here aswell.
Very interesting. I may have to add some of those plastics to my aresnal
Old 10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

last spring I tried th 4" gulp goby on a jig on the detroit river. caught a few walleye but the smallmouth LOVED them. tried them in the UP on some inland lakes where they have not showed up yet, thank goodness, no luck on walleye, smallmouth.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Guide

Photos: 23Users Photo Gallery
Default Huh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Matthews View Post
And transported- The Fish listed may not be transported.
Never has the State said you couldn't use them from the same body of water as bait.

It needs to be more clearly written/Or understood by local law enforcement.

As Blueump stated Possess or Transported. Its stated pretty clear. Brian
Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 PM
2013 Member of the Year
Rank Type

Photos: 55Users Photo Gallery

As has been stated OVER AND OVER AGAIN in the law question forum, you are NOT allowed to use them as bait...live or dead.

Do the search yourself. Boehr has made this very clear for many years, the law has NOT changed!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

For what it is worth, CO's in the field saying No, here they say yes on goby -dead/cut bait...

From Ask the DNR:

QUESTION 07/08/2008 01:50 PM
Goby... The law is very clear that "Live" goby can not be used as bait. What is the "LAW" on using dead ones as bait ???

ANSWER: (Lynne Thoma) 07/09/2008 09:47 AM
You are correct: the law is clear that persons shall not use "Live" gobies for bait. Unfortunately, the language is silent on the use of dead gobies for bait. So, technically, you can use dead gobies.

We already have the restriction in the Fishing Guide about the use of live gobies. It's the very first thing listed under the Unlawful section on page 7. We remain silent on the use of dead gobies because we really don't want to encourage the use of gobies for bait--this would only encourage anglers to move them around the state, which is something we really want to avoid as it is important to keep them out of the inland lakes.
-----------------
Followup question: 07/09/2008 10:59 AM The state might address this as more and more are using them for cut-bait ect. If was a total ban on using them as bait "dead,live,parts" would help prevent any more contamination.

Follow up answer (Lynne Thoma) 07/10/2008 02:14 PM
Using the same logic, a complete ban on their possession (dead or alive) is unnecessary. We're not concerned about the use of dead gobies as bait, especially if they are used in the same waters where they were caught. Our concern is the movement of live gobies to waters that currently do not have them, thus the reason for the prohibition on live gobies.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Michiganiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by malainse View Post
For what it is worth, CO's in the field saying No, here they say yes on goby -dead/cut bait...

From Ask the DNR:

QUESTION 07/08/2008 01:50 PM
Goby... The law is very clear that "Live" goby can not be used as bait. What is the "LAW" on using dead ones as bait ???

ANSWER: (Lynne Thoma) 07/09/2008 09:47 AM
You are correct: the law is clear that persons shall not use "Live" gobies for bait. Unfortunately, the language is silent on the use of dead gobies for bait. So, technically, you can use dead gobies.

We already have the restriction in the Fishing Guide about the use of live gobies. It's the very first thing listed under the Unlawful section on page 7. We remain silent on the use of dead gobies because we really don't want to encourage the use of gobies for bait--this would only encourage anglers to move them around the state, which is something we really want to avoid as it is important to keep them out of the inland lakes.
-----------------
Followup question: 07/09/2008 10:59 AM The state might address this as more and more are using them for cut-bait ect. If was a total ban on using them as bait "dead,live,parts" would help prevent any more contamination.

Follow up answer (Lynne Thoma) 07/10/2008 02:14 PM
Using the same logic, a complete ban on their possession (dead or alive) is unnecessary. We're not concerned about the use of dead gobies as bait, especially if they are used in the same waters where they were caught. Our concern is the movement of live gobies to waters that currently do not have them, thus the reason for the prohibition on live gobies.
Oooh! Very interesting indeed.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

Ya that's what I've been told by people I trust?
I think It really depends on where your at in this state as whats good for one coast doesn't seem to be law on another.
I wasn't going to stir the hive

This is the way it was explained to me.

If your catching them in the net they can be used were caught, Not Live of course.
Because you can't posses live gobie, Like stated.

That's why I said - IT Needs to be clearly defined in the book....

Last edited by Ron Matthews; 10-15-2008 at 10:30 AM.