Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > MichiganBear.com
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MichiganBear.com Hunting bruins in the northern lower and upper peninsulas.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
davidshane's Avatar
davidshane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fraser
Posts: 2,245
Photos: 27Users Photo Gallery
Default Big Cadillac Bear

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I went to show a friend the post about that big bear killed in Cadillac but couldn't find it. Did I miss it somewhere or did it get removed?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 PM
giver108 giver108 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NW Wisconsin, back to Manistee someday
Posts: 1,045
Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidshane View Post
I went to show a friend the post about that big bear killed in Cadillac but couldn't find it. Did I miss it somewhere or did it get removed?
That's a good question...
Reply With Quote
Remove this ad...  
  #3  
Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 PM
U.P. In Da Woods U.P. In Da Woods is offline
Master Sportsman
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merrill, WI
Posts: 62
Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery
Default

was looking yesterday to show the wife the bear that supersized to much at McDonalds
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-24-2008, 04:42 PM
welp45 welp45 is offline
Master Sportsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 35
Default

The person who posted those pics never had "permission" from the involved parties in that hunt, so he pulled the post. Not that either party had a problem with him making the post. He just was being cautious. It is sad but in this day and age you have to guard some things and be careful what you say. Because when you have something good someone is always trying to take a piece of it. These guys have a ton of years and hard work in their "hobby" and they don't want it spoiled or tainted. They have an incredible respect for the bears and bears are a big part of their life and they are just a little guarded. I don't know what they want said and and not said about that hunt, so I'm not going to say anything right now, BUT I will say. If you ever have the chance to hunt bear in the baldwin unit, get ahold of Rob Nixon or Wade Nixon. They know more about bears than most bears know about bears. This tag is just too hard to come by not to go with these guys. They are incredible bear hunters and they are better people than they are bear hunters.

I tryed the DIY and worked 4 bait sites in the baldwin unit all preseason and was not having any luck (lack of experience,messed up by bear dogs,lack of competition amongst bears, etc..). Rob sqeezed me in toward the end of the season and put me into position for an opportunity of a lifetime. My bear was about 25 pounds lite of the bruiser that was posted earlier, and wore a read ear tag.

The hunter who killed the bear posted is Jake Lueder of grand rapids. It could not of happened to a better more appreciative guy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
srconnell22's Avatar
srconnell22 srconnell22 is offline
Michiganiac
Rank Type

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,225
Photos: 46Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by welp45 View Post
The person who posted those pics never had "permission" from the involved parties in that hunt, so he pulled the post. Not that either party had a problem with him making the post. He just was being cautious. It is sad but in this day and age you have to guard some things and be careful what you say. Because when you have something good someone is always trying to take a piece of it. These guys have a ton of years and hard work in their "hobby" and they don't want it spoiled or tainted. They have an incredible respect for the bears and bears are a big part of their life and they are just a little guarded. I don't know what they want said and and not said about that hunt, so I'm not going to say anything right now, BUT I will say. If you ever have the chance to hunt bear in the baldwin unit, get ahold of Rob Nixon or Wade Nixon. They know more about bears than most bears know about bears. This tag is just too hard to come by not to go with these guys. They are incredible bear hunters and they are better people than they are bear hunters.

I tryed the DIY and worked 4 bait sites in the baldwin unit all preseason and was not having any luck (lack of experience,messed up by bear dogs,lack of competition amongst bears, etc..). Rob sqeezed me in toward the end of the season and put me into position for an opportunity of a lifetime. My bear was about 25 pounds lite of the bruiser that was posted earlier, and wore a read ear tag.

The hunter who killed the bear posted is Jake Lueder of grand rapids. It could not of happened to a better more appreciative guy.
How big was your bear? Or the bear in this post?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2008, 05:09 PM
DEDGOOSE's Avatar
DEDGOOSE DEDGOOSE is online now
Michigan Sportsman
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North of GR South of The Bridge
Posts: 5,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by welp45 View Post
The person who posted those pics never had "permission" from the involved parties in that hunt, so he pulled the post. Not that either party had a problem with him making the post. He just was being cautious. It is sad but in this day and age you have to guard some things and be careful what you say. Because when you have something good someone is always trying to take a piece of it. These guys have a ton of years and hard work in their "hobby" and they don't want it spoiled or tainted. They have an incredible respect for the bears and bears are a big part of their life and they are just a little guarded. I don't know what they want said and and not said about that hunt, so I'm not going to say anything right now, BUT I will say. If you ever have the chance to hunt bear in the baldwin unit, get ahold of Rob Nixon or Wade Nixon. They know more about bears than most bears know about bears. This tag is just too hard to come by not to go with these guys. They are incredible bear hunters and they are better people than they are bear hunters.

I tryed the DIY and worked 4 bait sites in the baldwin unit all preseason and was not having any luck (lack of experience,messed up by bear dogs,lack of competition amongst bears, etc..). Rob sqeezed me in toward the end of the season and put me into position for an opportunity of a lifetime. My bear was about 25 pounds lite of the bruiser that was posted earlier, and wore a read ear tag.

The hunter who killed the bear posted is Jake Lueder of grand rapids. It could not of happened to a better more appreciative guy.
They are pretty much the legends of bear hunting around these parts. I "heard" the first bear was 571 and the second bear I assume your was 549 Correct????
__________________
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 PM
dsconnell's Avatar
dsconnell dsconnell is offline
Michiganiac
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 3,116
Photos: 110Users Photo Gallery
Blog Entries: 2
Default

They are good guys.. I was going to go with Wade this year as I believe he drew his tag but with other obligations bear hunting in Canada and a wife that would kick my Ars if I took more time off I figured I had better wait til next year.. I have talked with them several times and will be going with them next year for certain.. He was telling me about a bear and I am curious if this was it.. I will have to give him a call and chat but I will not bring anything up.. Just ask how the season is went!

Tommy - I think you fell and bumped your head... A bad day in the marsh is better than a good day in the tree stand!!! LOL!!!
__________________
Big Cadillac Bear - MichiganBear.com

Last edited by dsconnell; 09-24-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
welp45 welp45 is offline
Master Sportsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 35
Default

Yes those weights are correct. That is live weight NOT DRESSED. Mine sported a red ear tag not read ear tag (michigan state educated- what do you expect for 50-60 grand) We are working on getting info on its age etc.. From what I understand it has to be over 12 years of age even if it was tagged as a cub. The bear of a lifetime. Now, for a good taxi ?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 PM
albuilder1's Avatar
albuilder1 albuilder1 is offline
Master Sportsman
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West side
Posts: 98
Photos: 18Users Photo Gallery
Default

I have a picture of a red ear tagged bear in the photo posts that i got a trail cam picture of 3 years ago in Cadillac did it look like that one.
Cant seem to get it posted here.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-24-2008, 08:17 PM
target-panic's Avatar
target-panic target-panic is offline
Charter Member
Rank Type

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cadillac & Western U.P.
Posts: 1,572
Photos: 75Users Photo Gallery
Default

OK.......I originally made the post on the night that the first bear was taken. Rob & Wade are friends of mine, and after some thought I decided to request that the post be pulled until all parties involved were ready to talk about this bear. Jake passed up on a dandy boar to wait out the big boy, and it paid off.....big time! I talked to those involved tonight, and I've been told to re-post the photos........so I will. Welp, I shook your hand last night, but I'm sure with all of the people around.....you wouldn't remember. I'll let you tell your story & post your pics if you choose. All I have to say, is you were VERY lucky to get a chance to hunt with Rob & Wade......I've never met two more dedicated people who truley love the sport of bear hunting as well as the animals they pursue. Congratulations!

Here's Jake's Bear............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0042-1.jpg (43.5 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0058-1.jpg (49.4 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0062-1.jpg (48.7 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0132-1.jpg (48.5 KB, 526 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0144-1.jpg (47.8 KB, 544 views)
__________________



Cabin Building Web Album
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 PM
target-panic's Avatar
target-panic target-panic is offline
Charter Member
Rank Type

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cadillac & Western U.P.
Posts: 1,572
Photos: 75Users Photo Gallery
Default

Here are a couple more..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0064-1.jpg (47.2 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0094-1.jpg (48.4 KB, 392 views)
__________________



Cabin Building Web Album
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 PM
target-panic's Avatar
target-panic target-panic is offline
Charter Member
Rank Type

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cadillac & Western U.P.
Posts: 1,572
Photos: 75Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albuilder1 View Post
I have a picture of a red ear tagged bear in the photo posts that i got a trail cam picture of 3 years ago in Cadillac did it look like that one.
Cant seem to get it posted here.

Here you go...........
Big Cadillac Bear - MichiganBear.com
__________________



Cabin Building Web Album
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The concrete jungle
Posts: 26,241
Photos: 375Users Photo Gallery
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Glad you reposted those pictures. What a bear!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 PM
bearfoot bearfoot is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Hey Welp,
Thanks for the write up. It was great having you here to hunt. Don't be a stranger in the years to come.
bearfoot
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 PM
bearfoot bearfoot is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks panic for the pics they are great.
I would have to agree with you about Rob and his knowledge of the bears around here. He puts all he has into providing the hunters with a great hunting experience.
bearfoot
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2011 Michigan-Sportsman.com flagship of the iGreatLakes.com network