Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Out and About > Boating and Boat Rigging
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Boating and Boat Rigging Discuss how to rig your boat or other floatation device, the rules of the water, and safety.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Guide

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery
Default Best all-around walleye boat

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I'm curious to see what everyones opinion is for the best all-around walleye boat when you consider size, speed, ride in big rollers, storage...
I had the privledge of being able to go up north and fish with an old buddy who wanted to take me out on his new pride and joy, a Yarcraft 209 w/ 250 verado.
This is the best walleye boat I've ever been in. The layout wasn't my favorite but I loved everything else about it. We were in 4-5 rollers on green bay and the ride was better than any other boat I've been on. Once we got back to little bay de noc boat topped out at 61 on gps.
Lets here your opinions...
Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 14Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ahasiec
Default .....

Depends what you are looking for...fiberglass, aluminum.....more trolling or jigging, more lake or river fishing...

Lund Pro V's are pretty top notch machines
Old 08-05-2008, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs Up

Lund boats - Aluminium and the new glass boats, get My vote. A boat for any Walleye venue, and the Pro-V's (tin/glass) plain ROCK ! C-man
Old 08-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 30Users Photo Gallery

My buddies tracker tundra 21 DC is pretty bad ass. The layout if about as perfect as it gets. In a drift it automatically turns bow forward so you can esentially troll with the waves. Air ride seats makes for a cadillac ride. Speed to boot...around 63

Best all-around walleye boat - Boating and Boat Rigging
Old 08-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Guide
Rank Type

Photos: 49Users Photo Gallery
Default Walleye Boat

I have a Lund Mr. Pike 18. I really like it. I use it for Walleye on Lake Erie, and then bolt on the downriggers and chase salmon and while I'm on Lake Michigan chase perch and it still is easy to launch on the smaller lakes for bluegilling. I'm very happy with it so far. Although, I would not want to be in the waves you were on Greenbay fishing in. I'm not into pain. I've heard a lot good things about the Polarcraft boats too. I guess I just like fishing!

Paul C.
Mattawan, MI
Old 08-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 74Users Photo Gallery

17-18' deep aluminum with live wells, rod storage, walk through windshield, either a trolling plate or a small kicker motor to troll at 1-1.5 mph. and a couple of buddy's to go fishing at anytime.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Michiganiac
Rank Type

Photos: 94Users Photo Gallery
Thumbs Up Lund

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamookman View Post
Lund boats - Aluminium and the new glass boats, get My vote. A boat for any Walleye venue, and the Pro-V's (tin/glass) plain ROCK ! C-man

Gets my vote too. Thats what I bought (preowned) and couldnt be happier with the rig. I have a smaller 1660 Pro-V and find it perfect for any inland lake in MI and out on the big water too on most days.

NB

NRA Life member
Old 08-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Tracker

Default lund

I just picked up an 06' Mr. Pike & I love it. I got the max horsepower whitch for mine is a 150. I have been in underpowered boats. There are plenty of great manufacturers in the industry but whatever you get don't underpower it. Power controls on the kicker are also a HUGE help. The 1st step I would take would be to determine if you would perfer a fiberglass, welded, or riveted hull. Also get a big enough electric bow mount. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

have had a lund pro-v 2025 going on 10 years. original merc's 200hp and 9.9 hp kicker. used on erie, michigan, huron,gt bay, little bay de noc, detroit river, st clair river and mulitiple inland lakes still going strong.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 23Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepaully View Post
I'm curious to see what everyones opinion is for the best all-around walleye boat when you consider size, speed, ride in big rollers, storage...
I had the privledge of being able to go up north and fish with an old buddy who wanted to take me out on his new pride and joy, a Yarcraft 209 w/ 250 verado.
This is the best walleye boat I've ever been in. The layout wasn't my favorite but I loved everything else about it. We were in 4-5 rollers on green bay and the ride was better than any other boat I've been on. Once we got back to little bay de noc boat topped out at 61 on gps.
Lets here your opinions...
You don't see many YarCrafts here in Michigan for some reason. Fished out of an 18' on Mille Lacs in 3-4 ft rollers...nothing extreme but it rode great.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Guide

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

My buddy up north bought his in Wisconsin. I dont think they sell them in Michigan, which is wierd because when you fish in the big walleye areas in SD,ND, and Minn, they are very common. If I were Yarcraft I would establish some dealers in Michigan(Perhaps the biggest concentration of walleye fisherman anywhere). I know I wasn't familiar with them at all but now I would definately choose one...that is when I can afford one.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Photos: 29Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1fife

love my yarcraft 1895 DC

Most fish
Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery

Her is my perfect walleye boat...

Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 12Users Photo Gallery

gee i have owned sea nymph,lowe,fisher,lund,ranger,sea ray,alumacraft,mirrocraft,crestliner,starcraft,syl van. rode in bayliner,trophy,warrior,triton,tracker,ultracraft, G3 and spectrum.........looking forward to my new princecraft.........plastic seems to have less 'jolt'(but lots more expensive to tow, drive, equip and buy---except possibly stratos)...easily remedied with air ride seats...i prefer aluminum....and of the above boats(i haven't tried prince,polar or a few others) but the crestliner seemed superior in all facets to the others....fit, finish, ride and least problematic......
Old 08-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Guide

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery

Matt V,

That red Lund looks nice with the basketball hoop in the back, ha ha. My Lund is roomy but not enough room for a basketball court. I too love my Lund. 17' Explorer single console. The only complaint I get from passengers is they wish it had a full windshield. Maybe on the next boat.

Greg