Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Michigan Sportsman Outing Forum
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Michigan Sportsman Outing Forum Information about get togethers with people from this site.

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Rank Type

Photos: 89Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sfw1960
Exclaimation well........

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Sounds like fun , of course - but I should probably run it by my financial advisor , lest I p!$S off my dear Bride - inadvertently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLEYE MIKE View Post
Ah yes, the Crystal cafe. I know it well. Had breakfast with some old guy there one fall morning.

Too bad its 5 hours from home or I would be there.
C'Mon Mike!! Make th' trip! - we can both "accidentally" bump into Milt at a nearby snow bank...LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister ED View Post
Actually meant to include burbot in my original post as well. That is one of those fish that I have never caught.

But, tell me this .... If SFW comes up and if we get into some burbot ....... which one will be uglier??
This I say . coming from a guy that uses a m00nKeY for an Avatar so nobody can see he's no "Horse" (of course) he's the REAL "Ed-ephant man"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally-eye View Post
Think I'll make it up there with my quad if the ice is safe............sounds like I'll be pulling a trailer load of fishing gear...........

Anybody hows the snow depth.........could a quad pulling a light trailer make it all right?????????????????????????????????????

And Ed I'm thinking the burbot would be a tad better looking......
If I come I'll have to LAY on Dan's towing sleigh to make sure there's "proper ballast" ; so it runs prim & proper - - like ME!!! , RIGHT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit1 View Post
There's no doubt in my mind!!!!!!!!!!!

The second question is which one will we throw back?..........
Why , ME of course!!
Ice fishing outing on Crystal Lake, Benzie Co. - Michigan Sportsman Outing Forum
(I'm much better looking that Ed , er I mean a a burbot ..LMAO)
My spawning runs are MUCH too important to stop the next generation of the sfw genome......
A super race of smelt yankin' psYch0tic fEEsHermaNzzzz

BE VERY sKEErED!!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Michiganiac
Rank Type

Photos: 205Users Photo Gallery

Well, you all better let the folks at the cafe know what there gonna be in for.

Got a pm back from Westlake Drive ... think he said he would probably have to do dishes or something like that.

Sounds like Toto is almost convinced on coming back up north for this.

Now, burbot like nasty stinky stuff .... right?? Might have to bring my leftover jar of meat based Yote & Fox bait for a try.

Danno - If I've got the mental picture right here .... the tip-up is set up like a perch rig on steroids?? What type of line are you using for your main line? I have one of the Polar IIs with the high capacity spool, that is spooled up with prolly 25 or 30 lbs test of 'old school' braid. Actually bought it for lakers at one point ... but it has sat around, just like my Slammers. If I need to down scale the line ... let me know and I'll get it changed out.

For the burbot, I'm guessing an 'eye rod should suffice?
Remove this ad...  
Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Photos: 45Users Photo Gallery

I do best on the burbot with a 24" jigging rod, 10# test(no stretch) line, 7/8oz. round lead jig(chartruse), with a glow-stick at the jig. The best bait is a fresh, large shiner minnow. A steady jigging action that bounces the bottom.
They fight like a carp. Bulldogging and taking out line. But once tired come up easily. A gaff is an asset for getting them through the hole.
They bite best starting at sunset, and then until dawn.

I am eternally grateful for the Grace of GOD that allowed me to be born an American. A free man in a free country!!!

Ice fishing outing on Crystal Lake, Benzie Co. - Michigan Sportsman Outing Forum
Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Charter Member
Rank Type

I do best on the burbot with a 24" jigging rod, 10# test(no stretch) line, 7/8oz. round lead jig(chartruse), with a glow-stick at the jig. The best bait is a fresh, large shiner minnow. A steady jigging action that bounces the bottom.
They fight like a carp. Bulldogging and taking out line. But once tired come up easily. A gaff is an asset for getting them through the hole.
They bite best starting at sunset, and then until dawn.

I am eternally grateful for the Grace of GOD that allowed me to be born an American. A free man in a free country!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Master Sportsman

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SpinFly

ummmm yummy god they are ugly but so tasty.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Tracker

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

Count me in for the outing. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.

Are there bluegills in Crystal? Walleye? Or is this one of those cold all year round lakes that have only trout and white fish.... oh, and burbot?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Charter Member
Rank Type

There are bluegill in there. But most people target the rainbows, lakers, perch, whitefish, & burbot.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery

Jumps your tip-up line should be ok. Your right about the rig being like a perch rig on steriods. I use 20# mono because thats what i had. Jigging rod has 20# Power Pro (6# dia.) no streach.

Whit and I are going tonight so We should have frozen smelt to pass around.

Most bourbot I cought were on a dead stick. No actual bite, they pick it up and You see the line just slowly move away.

The word must out I saw signs along the Platte that said "NO BILL"

Hey SFW just a reminder. Ther are no SLABS in Crystal lake.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery

Darn gotta work!.... well maybe I can make it next time. Good luck be safe and have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANN09 View Post
After many hours of diccusion with MY asteamed friend Whit. We have come up with this recomendation for a ice outing.
Crystal lake has just about anything You want to fish for ie. perch, white fish, smelt, lake trout.
The date will be Sat. 2-23-08 We will start the day with Beakfast at the Crystal Cafe in Benzonia right next to the Backcast Fly shop witch as bait (minnows, wiggers, waxies, ie.) at say 8:00am that will put us on the lake by 9:00 or 9:30.

There are many places access the Lake from as the date gets closer We will have the Hot spots nailed down.

All are welcome

They are running wheelers and snow machines on the lake as of now. with much cold weather to come.

Thanks

Dann09
Whit
Bucktail Butch
kwcharne
DFPotter
wally-eye
Mister Ed
Dustytwo
steelhead-hunter
UBDSLO1
Fishslayer5789
The Spirit of Toto
Spinfly
Old 02-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 65Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Opps! George goes fishless again!!.......................Sorry buddy I couldn't resist. I hope you don't see this until after we fish this evening!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Michiganiac
Rank Type

Photos: 205Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit1 View Post
Opps! George goes fishless again!!.......................Sorry buddy I couldn't resist. I hope you don't see this until after we fish this evening!!!!
You & George still doing the Muffin thing??? Or is that only a big lake/soft water thing??
Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery

Whit and I just got back from smelt fishing on Crystal. Fished from about 7:00pm till 9:30. A rough count of 120. He could'nt believe how that Vex was lite up like a Christmas tree. One heck of a snowy night. Looks like about 12'' out there and still coming down.
Whit thinks We should have a smelt outing.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Rank Type

Photos: 89Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sfw1960
Wink

Quote:
Jumps your tip-up line should be ok. Your right about the rig being like a perch rig on steriods. I use 20# mono because thats what i had. Jigging rod has 20# Power Pro (6# dia.) no streach.

Whit and I are going tonight so We should have frozen smelt to pass around.

Most bourbot I cought were on a dead stick. No actual bite, they pick it up and You see the line just slowly move away.

The word must out I saw signs along the Platte that said "NO BILL"

P H E W ! ! ! ! ! !

It's a d@mn good thing too George , my back's STILL sore from that wh0PPer I netted for you last year!!
I don't usually bring a net when I ice fish anyways.....
Old 02-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 65Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Whit and I just got back from smelt fishing on Crystal. Fished from about 7:00pm till 9:30. A rough count of 120. He could'nt believe how that Vex was lite up like a Christmas tree. One heck of a snowy night. Looks like about 12'' out there and still coming down.

I wish I would have had a camera to take a photo of George's vexilar to show how it was lit up. It indeed looked like a Christmas tree. We might want to think about changing the time of the outing to eat at 3-4PM and then head out and fish for smelt.

I really must say, the fishgod's rebuked me for my comment above about George going "fishless". He not only caught more fish than I did, but the average size of his fish were larger. That'll teach me to open my big mouth.........
Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

Quote:

12 inches of snow? Doesn't sound good for quad travel.

Closed Thread