Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law Got a question about MI hunting/fishing law that you just can't figure out from the guide book?

Old 02-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 49Users Photo Gallery
Default Can I plow a Seasonal Road

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
so I have year around access to my property? Its a very short section of a side road that is off the main paved road.

Second question:
My property runs 1200 feet along a main paved road but there is roughly a 75' state land easment between my property and the main paved road (30' feet of that is probably road easment). The seasonal road, where there is actual access to my property in the winter is heavily used by the snow machines and the area is heavilly promoted by the state for snowmobiling. With that being said, how hard would it be to purchase this easment from the state so I can put in a driveway direclty off the main road? I dont believe the state has any use for this easment and it woud keep me from causing problems with the snow machines by tearing up their trail to access my property from the side road.. I believe I could make a good case for them to consider selling me this narrow easment.

Thanks
CB
Old 02-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg

Why not see if you can be granted a drive off the main road. Seems like an easier and cheaper to fight to me. Also the state may not aggree to the sale. If that seasonal rd connects to snowmobile trails.

I do not think you can plow a seasonal rd.

Can I plow a Seasonal Road - Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
1996-2003

"It'll take more then Duct Tape to fix it!"
www.facebook.com/bigcountrysg
Remove this ad...  
Old 02-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Guide

Default Yes you can.

Yes you can plow a seasonal road. You can also pay 1/3, state pays 1/3 and county pays 1/3, to bring it up to plow grade, then they plow it. I went through this when I built my house some years back with the road commission. I chose to maintain the road myself, various neighbors in the same general area do the same.
Even if its put into the seasonal road system WITH it also closed to PUBLIC travel (most are not), you are still granted access to your residence.

YZman
Old 02-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 22Users Photo Gallery

It is my understanding from recent contact with the dnr regarding a simular situation regarding access on state land is that they Do not sell or grant easments on state land. This involves a driveway across public that has provided access to 3 cottages for about 60 years and a driveway that the dnr allowed to be built around my property in the late 70's.

Both are to be plowed and planted with jacks along with the rest. when they finish cutting down the forest that starts 10" from the wall of my garage.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Michiganiac

I found the application to purchase public property on the DNR website. There is a $300 non-refundable fee just to process the paperwork for consideration. There are 2 parts to the application, one is for purchasing and the other is for offering to exchange (trade).

Land Transaction Application

CB
Old 02-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Michigan Sportsman

I understand that the criteria for them selling land is pretty tough. I think that snowmobile trail is going to hurt you. Is there a way you could trade a strip on the other side of your property for it. If there was a benefit to the snowmobile trail you might have a chance.

Basically the dnr is only going to enter a sale or trade if it benifits the public/state, thats all of us. and even with the current issues in my neighborhood I still think its a good policy.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Michiganiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbuck View Post
I understand that the criteria for them selling land is pretty tough. I think that snowmobile trail is going to hurt you. Is there a way you could trade a strip on the other side of your property for it. If there was a benefit to the snowmobile trail you might have a chance.

Basically the dnr is only going to enter a sale or trade if it benifits the public/state, thats all of us. and even with the current issues in my neighborhood I still think its a good policy.
I would prefer not to trade anything if at all possible. My argument is that the seasonal road is a "road" not a "trail" designated for snow machines. However, snow machines use this road to get to the main trail so they dont have to ride on the side of the main paved road, not to mention its a more scenic route. The seasonal road sign is actually located right after the drive to my property but I would be more than happy to move the entrance if they sold me the narrow easment in front.

The line on the bottom of the property is just a section line, not a road.

CB

Last edited by codybear; 02-09-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Guide

Default Seasonal road in county road system?

If its a seasonal road in the county road system, you can plow it. It does not matter that it is going through state land if its part of the county road system. Road Commission controls the roads. If its a old logging trail for example, thats a different story. Your Road Commission will have maps at their office and can tell you if its part of the county road system. The "Seasonal Road" sign tells me that it is. Does not matter if sleds are using it or not.

YZman
Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

If it goes thru Federal land don't even think about plowing it........

Old 02-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Michiganiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally-eye View Post
If it goes thru Federal land don't even think about plowing it........
Even if the road is still part of the county road system as YZman said? That being the case, it shouldnt matter who owned the property outside the road itself.

CB
Old 02-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Michigan Sportsman

"My argument is that the seasonal road is a "road" not a "trail" designated for snow machines. However, snow machines use this road to get to the main trail so they dont have to ride on the side of the main paved road"

Your argument contradicts itself. I take it that the main road is not a designated snowmobile trail also. but you want them to use that instead of the seasonal road. what are the laws in your county regarding snowmobiles..

As far as the state not having a use for that piece. I think some snowmobilers may disagree as well as maybe some hunters which I am guessing may also be an issue. They may be willing to deal, but I wouldnt get too confident about it. Send in the paper and $300 they could use the money anyways. But I wouldnt piss them off because your current driveway looks like its on stateland like my neighbors and your property could end up landlocked like theyres is going to real soon.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 18Users Photo Gallery

It looks to me like you would not have to plow much length of road to get to your granted easement. There are a lot of county roads in Luce County where we snowmobile that are plowed sometimes and not plowed others. These are generally all seasonal roads. Some of them are even marked trails that are often taken down to the dirt. Depending on how wide the road is, you could still be courteous to any snowmobilers by leaving them a path with snow still on it.

CH 68 Knot Smokin'

Old 02-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Michiganiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbuck View Post
"
Your argument contradicts itself. I take it that the main road is not a designated snowmobile trail also. but you want them to use that instead of the seasonal road. what are the laws in your county regarding snowmobiles.. .
The main road has an easment they can use, where as the seaonal road is wooded right on the side of the road. I know that that we can run our quads down the seasonal road legally so I would assume its the same for sleds.

Quote:
As far as the state not having a use for that piece. I think some snowmobilers may disagree as well as maybe some hunters which I am guessing may also be an issue. They may be willing to deal, but I wouldnt get too confident about it. Send in the paper and $300 they could use the money anyways. But I wouldnt piss them off because your current driveway looks like its on stateland like my neighbors and your property could end up landlocked like theyres is going to real soon.
That narrow strip in the front isnt any good for snow machines or hunters, its to narrow. Were only taking about 50' before hitting the 30' road easment.. There are to many saplings on that 50' piece to run a sled and I cant see anyone wanting to deer hunt only 50' near. Never did before anyways.

CB
Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Michiganiac

We have a seasonal road that leads to our driveway up north and we pay the same guy who plows us out in the winter to do the seasonal rd to our driveway as well. Nothing has ever been said to us about its legality besides its your property you should be able to access it. As said above it is a road not a a trail.

Ganzer