Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law Got a question about MI hunting/fishing law that you just can't figure out from the guide book?

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:14 AM

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by det07 View Post
Got it.. thank you. I was searching for a plug to buy online and couldn't find one. The best I could come up with is cutting a piece of wood dowel to length and sticking it into the magazine between the spring and follower so that only 8 rounds could be loaded into it. Sounds ridiculous but I wouldn't need a new spring or internal parts.
That would work. I have seen many guns with the exact same method.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Banned

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyxlh View Post
Correct and I was questioned in the field about it at one time and was told as long as you have your CPL,mag cap is not an issue,BUT if I were to shoot a deer, it was recommended(aside from plugging it) to remove the mag before you shoot thus leaving one rd in the chamber,it then becomes a single shot pistol and makes it legal.
They also said if I'm using the sidearm to hunt with and had a CPL and was not carrying my shotgun or BP,meaning it would be obvious I am handgun hunting,it would be best to plug it or remove the full mag and carry it separate from the sidearm,making it a single shot,
if I carry my Shotgun it would be obvious that I am not pistol hunting and wouldn't be an issue.
That will not work, by carrying the magazine with you, separate or not, the weapon is still capable of holding more than 9 rounds in the shotgun zone making it still illegal.

WCO 2.1(4) Use in hunting, or, subject to section 43510, subsections (2) and (3), of Part 435, as amended, hunting and fishing licensing, MCL 324.43510, possess afield in an area inhabited by wild birds and animals within the "shotgun, handgun, black-powder firearms only area" from November 15 to November 30, or use to take a deer during any firearm deer season in the "shotgun, handgun, black-powder firearms only area," a firearm other than:
(b) A .35 caliber or larger pistol capable of holding no more than nine shells at one time in the barrel and magazine combined and loaded with straight-walled cartridges.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Ch...I_128574_7.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by det07
Got it.. thank you. I was searching for a plug to buy online and couldn't find one. The best I could come up with is cutting a piece of wood dowel to length and sticking it into the magazine between the spring and follower so that only 8 rounds could be loaded into it. Sounds ridiculous but I wouldn't need a new spring or internal parts.
Yep, same thing many people do with their shotguns when waterfowl hunting.

Last edited by boehr; 08-10-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Remove this ad...  
Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 27Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by det07 View Post

Boehr, I know you don't like these threads to get off topic but would this work as a magazine plug?
I took my mag (10 round) glock 23 and had it plugged by my gunsmith.He painted the 9th&10th spot on the back of the mag to show it only held 8.I don't hunt deer with it,I just carry it for a finisher if need be.But my 7mm-08 usually does the job
"The spirit of the wild lives on" Handgun hunting regulations - Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing LawHandgun hunting regulations - Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing LawHandgun hunting regulations - Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
Old 08-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Banned

A few examples why I would not just try to pass my handgun off as a single shot because I didn't have a magazine.

Duck hunter hunting with no plugged gun but only has 3 shells on his person. Will he get a ticket for an unplugged gun? You bettcha.

Deer hunter out shinning for deer during legal times. Camping in a tent on state land but concerned someone might steal his gun he he just left it at the camp site so he left all the ammo at the camp site and put the gun in the truck figuring it would be OK sine the gun can't shoot or kill anything without bullets. Gets stopped shinning while in possession of a firearm, is he in trouble? You bettcha. Law says possession of a firearm capable of shooting a projectile, nothing about the requirement of having that projectile with you.

Easiest way, do it right the first time and have no worries.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Tracker

Handguns, not shining. Get back on topic.

Ya like apples? How 'bout them apples?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halffasthog View Post
Handguns, not shining. Get back on topic.

Ya like apples? How 'bout them apples?

Just for you since you can't see or understand the comparison as examples.
Deer hunter (who is a test engineer) without CPL out shinning for deer during legal times. Camping in a tent on state land but concerned someone might steal his handgun that he hunts with if he just left it at the camp site so he left all the ammo at the camp site and put the handgun in the trunk of the car figuring it would be OK since the handgun can't shoot or kill anything without bullets. Gets stopped shinning while in possession of a handgun, is he in trouble? You bettcha. Law says possession of a firearm including handgun capable of shooting a projectile, nothing about the requirement of having that projectile with you.

Now you can eat that apple.

Not having a magazine doesn't make a handgun a single shot handgun. A single shot handgun doesn't have a magazine or no place to put one.

Last edited by boehr; 08-11-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:33 PM

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

Why is it that one person has to ruin it for everyone. Boehr's example was to try to help those that were confused, get a better understanding. This question has been answered.
Closed Thread