michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery Out of the ordinary outdoor sightings, pictures, mushroom gathering, and other miscellaneous activities.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Guide

Photos: 11Users Photo Gallery
Default Bald Eagle sightings

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I saw a bald eagle on my way home from work on Friday (12/14) which may not seem like much to some of you; however I live in Owosso, ( 20 mile due west of Flint). This is the first one I have seen in the area, so I was wondering who has seen them and where in the central lower peninsula.I have seen them before up north fishing but it just seemed better here at home.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:14 PM

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default Lower Huron

I see them once in a great while near Lower Huron.Something to see really how big they are,Mich
Remove this ad...  
Old 12-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 39Users Photo Gallery

We had one stay here in White Lake nearly an entire winter about 5 years ago. Such an awesome sight. It's great to see the birds range expanding.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Guide

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery

I live on the Shiawassee River just a few miles north of Owosso and see bald eagle on a regular basis flying the river. I've taken a few pics of them, though not recently with a digital camera. As long as the river stays open, eagles and osprey are sighted almost daily between Oakley and St. Charles. Yes, they are very cool.

Last edited by Mudfoot; 12-15-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Long lake in Harrison. I have seen a few . what an awesome bird.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:46 AM
Guide

I see them somewhat regularly in Alcona County at several different locations.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Guide

Photos: 11Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
I live on the Shiawassee River just a few miles north of Owosso and see bald eagle on a regular basis flying the river. I've taken a few pics of them, though not recently with a digital camera. As long as the river stays open, eagles and osprey are sighted almost daily between Oakley and St. Charles. Yes, they are very cool.
Mudfoot, that is where I was actually talking about. I watched it fly across M-52 from the river just N. of Henderson rd, then land in a field on the east side and just north of Henderson Rd. Yes I know technically not Owosso but, who knows where Henderson and Oakley are, except the ones that live there. I turned E. on Henderson to try to "catch it" and was rewarded by being able to watch it in the field for about 5 minutes from about 60 yards.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Guide

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery

At the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge there were 90 eagles counted about 10 days ago, and around 50-60 last week. Most of them were immatures and most are migrating south. Usually the peak eagle numbers at Shiawassee NWR appear in January
Old 12-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Photos: 30Users Photo Gallery

I see them occasionaly on the st clair river accross from Port Huron.I seen one that stayed around the black river and the sc-4 campus all winter.Pretty cool.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Guide

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery

I see them alot on lake erie and flying over my house in southeast michigan....I also see them up in the Higgins Lake/St. Helen area.....
Old 12-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 21Users Photo Gallery

I saw one up in Cadillac near Lake Mitchell about 6 years ago and didn't see another one until about 3-4 months ago, right here in Kent County. I was coming up to a bridge over the Grand River on Knapp and saw a HUGE bird fly over, I pushed the pedal to the floor and just caught the sight of that big white head. I was really surprised!!!! Apparently there is a nesting pair not too far from there.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Photos: 34Users Photo Gallery

the saginaw river is crowded with eagles right now. I saw 6 in the 1/4 mile stretch that I could see by the bay
Old 12-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 55Users Photo Gallery
Sight

In the last couple years I have seen alot of bald eagles.

July 2006
Saw two while fishing. They both kept flying down to the water soaring just above the top and going back up to a big white pine. They would sit there for a while then do the same thing again. This was on Lake Charlevoix in East Jordan.

October 2006
My dad and I went down the flint river with a fellow member Frostbite(Denny). We were running beaver traps with Denny, and we looked up in a tree that was about 1/4 mile down the river and said I wonder if that is an eagle. As we go closer we all started saying yeah thats defently a eagle. Then we got up to it and it flew off. It was a big mature eagle. This was in Montrose.

December 2006
Saw one when going to set traps. It was eating on a dead deer in a field my dad and I were trapping in Genesee County. When it first flew up my dad and I thought it was a buzzad, we thought it had snow on its tail feathers. Then we realized it was an eagle.

May 2006
Saw one crossing the Zilwaukee bridge last spring after turkey hunting. It was up above the truck about 15 feet and about 10-20 feet in front of us...
It was VERY cool....

May 2007
While turkey hunting in East Jordan my dad and I watch two eagles through our binoculars. It was weird they were flying with their feet down like they were carrying something. One would fly down toward the other one and they would fly back and forth like they were mating.

These are just a couple eagle sitings that I have seen that were very cool.

-Psebuckmaster17-
Old 12-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Photos: 34Users Photo Gallery

I counted 11 eagles both mature and immature in one location getting ready to roost for the night, by the mouth of the Saginaw River on the 23rd.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:53 PM
collector
Rank Type

Photos: 130Users Photo Gallery

All last weekend in caseville I had witnesed a pair of mature eagles combing the shoreline ever day I was there... they would fly up and down the shore, then disapear for a while then show back up by landing on the ice at the waters edge, every once and a while looking through the binoclulars you could see them land on a ice flow, stay their for a while then fly a way. watching them fly in that wind over the weekend was awsome. It was great to see them... pretty much the high lite of the week end for the whole family....

https://www.facebook.com/rwtaylor664