Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Cooking and Brewing > Big Game Recipes
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Guide

Photos: 12Users Photo Gallery
Default how to store venison jerky

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I want to make some jerky but how do I store it when I am done. I have a vaccum sealer so I will put it in the vaccum sealed bags, but then how should it be stored? should it be in the fridge, freezer or is ok to just keep it in the cupboard. I know the stuff you buy at the store is not refridgerated, will it be the same, or is thiers preserved differently? also how long will it keep? should I make small batches throught the year or can I make one giant batch.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 29Users Photo Gallery

If you have a vacuum sealer and you package it with that then it should last close to forever if it is kept in the freezer. Could probably keep 6 to 12 months if kept in the coldest part of the fridge.

How long it will keep on the shelf would depend on the amount of salt used and just how dry the finished product is when you put it into storage with the vacuum sealer.

My suggestion is to do prep it in larger batches but package it in small packages. Open them up as needed.