Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Fishing > Cold Water Species Fishing > Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Banned

Photos: 30Users Photo Gallery
Question Making the perfect whitefish bait egg?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Ok question I have about using salmon eggs for bait to be used for catching whitefish.Should you boil them and add scent and color and if so what works best?
If you dont use this method and harden your eggs by the brining method do you leave them plain or the same about the boiling method which scent or color works best?Thanks in advance Aaron
Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Michiganiac

Location: Somewhere in this Great Depressed State of Michigan
Photos: 57Users Photo Gallery
Default Man....

.... You guys need to pay attention in class!!

Come on Stinger... now go stand in the corner for awhile!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by From "Whitefish 101 - Class is in session!"
A post from 9/30/2005

About preparing single salmon eggs for whitefish....

There are alot of different ways to prepare eggs for whitefish.... but I am one of the ones that likes to keep things simple and natural. I will either use fresh eggs or some out of the freezer. When I freeze them... I never use any cure of any kind. When I get my eggs I will rinse them in cold river water to "river cure" them and that is the most that I will do.

As far as boiling them... I will use well water or distilled water and boil it. I will even go so far as not to use water from the house that has gone thru the water softner. I will usually boil up enough eggs for a weekends use and maybe a little bit more so I can make some different colors or flavors. Let your eggs get to room temperature or even put them in some warm water to let them warm up even above room temperature. The colder the eggs are when you add them to your boiling water... the longer it will kill your rolling boil!!! Bring your water up to a rolling boil.... add eggs... have a clock with a second hand on it nearby and make note of the time when you add them and also make note of the time when the rolling boil starts again. I will try to keep my eggs as soft as I possibly can... but hard enough so they will stay on the hook. (personal preference) Like others I mentioned... I will have a hook closeby so I can test them. I will rarely boil them past 3 minutes... and most of the time less than that.

When they are done to the hardness that you like.... have a strainer ready and pour them into the strainer to drain the water. Then set them into some cold water and rinse them off. Pour them out onto paper towels to dry. I will divide them up them depending on how my different colors or flavors I am going to make. As far as coloring... I use plain food coloring. I use a 1 lb. butter tub plastic container and put maybe a 1/4 inch of water on the bottom.... put in the food coloring of your choice... put the plastic lid on and shake it up. The eggs will take on the color of the food coloring you chose. Again pour out onto paper towels to dry. Let dry thoroughly and then put into a container and into the refridgerator they go. One of the flavors that is widely used out on the pier is garlic... I have used garlic flavored Pam non-stick spray... and I have even smashed up a couple of cloves of garlic and added it to the container. Some days they want flavored eggs... other days they don't... some days they want one color... other days something else.

"Don't Give Up... Don't Ever Give Up!" - Jim Valvano

"The thing about the road less traveled is...
... it's not really a road."
- Jose Wejebe
Remove this ad...  
Old 11-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Banned

Sorry Don I was playing hooky from class to go fishing
Old 11-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Michiganiac

Default Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger63
Sorry Don I was playing hooky from class to go fishing
... in that case... you are excused!!

- Jose Wejebe
Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Guide

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery
Default spawn

can you use eggs that are still in the skein? if you sepereate them and them do the curing process?

flydunker
Old 11-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Michiganiac

Default Flydunker....

Yes... you can use eggs that are still in the skein. Actually.... tie an egg loop knot on your hook and you can use small chunks of skein.

Let me preface what I am about to say in that I have never tried this... but have heard from more than once source that this will work.... If the skein is REALLY loose... you can soak the skein in salt water (I've been told Kool-Aid works too) and the eggs will fall right off the skein as the skein membrane does shrivel up. Also... you can boil the loose skein and the eggs will also fall off as the skein membrane will basically just shrivel up in this process too. The less "ripe" (tighter) the eggs are.... the softer the egg "shell" will be... and the eggs will be more apt to "explode" white you are boiling them.

I am going to be trying this myself pretty soon though... it is not for the lack of single king eggs (I have a buttload of them!!)... it is just something I want to try and I have skeins from 3 or 4 fish which are VERY loose... and I am going to experiment and see what works on getting them to fall off... and what doesn't!!

If anyone else has experience with this... maybe they can chime in here!!

I hope this helps!!

- Jose Wejebe
Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Guide

Photos: 14Users Photo Gallery
Default Eggs from spawn bags?

Here's a super silly question, but can't you just cut open a spawn bag from the bait shop and use the eggs, thus eliminating all of this "fuss"?
In fishing, there is not a whole lot of difference between fish #6, 7, or 8 that you catch. There is, however, a HUGE difference between 0 and 1!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Michiganiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberguy77
can't you just cut open a spawn bag from the bait shop and use the eggs, thus eliminating all of this "fuss"?
Well.... I don't see why not... BUT you are still going to have to "harden" them in one way or another so they will not "pop" when you put a hook into the egg. I say "harden" by meaning they are going to have to be boiled or cured in one form or another so they will not pop from inserting the hook.

One solution is to tie 2 or 3 egg bags (which in my mind would be a major pain because one can go thru ALOT of eggs in one day).... thereby eliminating the need to put the hook into the egg... you can just put the hook thru the mesh/netting. But... it does work... but again creates alot of work.

- Jose Wejebe
Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Yes... you can use eggs that are still in the skein. Actually.... tie an egg loop knot on your hook and you can use small chunks of skein.

Let me preface what I am about to say in that I have never tried this... but have heard from more than once source that this will work.... If the skein is REALLY loose... you can soak the skein in salt water (I've been told Kool-Aid works too) and the eggs will fall right off the skein as the skein membrane does shrivel up. Also... you can boil the loose skein and the eggs will also fall off as the skein membrane will basically just shrivel up in this process too. The less "ripe" (tighter) the eggs are.... the softer the egg "shell" will be... and the eggs will be more apt to "explode" white you are boiling them.

I am going to be trying this myself pretty soon though... it is not for the lack of single king eggs (I have a buttload of them!!)... it is just something I want to try and I have skeins from 3 or 4 fish which are VERY loose... and I am going to experiment and see what works on getting them to fall off... and what doesn't!!

If anyone else has experience with this... maybe they can chime in here!!

I hope this helps!!
Soak your skiens in saltwater for about 10-15 minutes.You can use the cure method that I use also see topic about a cure that I like.Let dry and eggs will come right out.You can use them and put them on a hook they have a nice rubbery texture.I paid attention to DON P`s class the second time around I have what I think are the perfect single bait eggs.Thanks DON P for that one
Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Michiganiac

Default Very Cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger63
I paid attention to DON P`s class the second time around
Alright Stinger!!!! Now go to the head of the class for that one!!!

p.s. Be careful though.... absolutely NO brown nosing the teacher!!

- Jose Wejebe
Old 11-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberguy77 View Post
Here's a super silly question, but can't you just cut open a spawn bag from the bait shop and use the eggs, thus eliminating all of this "fuss"?
The only problem with those eggs that they are not boiled and when you poke a hook through them they will pop.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Banned

Question ? DON P on eggs

Ok Don since you are the egg expert I have another ? on whitefish bait eggs.After you have created the master piece of the perfect bait eggs for white fish how long can they be stored in the refridge,and then is there a way that they can be preserved or stored for long term?Im not sure if that subject was talked about during class but perhaps I suffer fatuigue and fell asleep in the middle of the subject.You know trying to cram all those hours and fishing class gets tiresome
BTW I created some great garlic eggs today so if the whitefish are in the mood for that flavor I have it covered.All natural orange and rubbery texture similar to that of jenson egg with the taste of garlic.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Master Sportsman

Send a message via AIM to Srobocop

sorry, but i used to only use wax worms for whitefish fishing, but got a king this fall so i decided to keep one of the skeins. Now is boiling just a way to cure it then? what if i don't flavor it and what if i don't color it?

thanks, and sorry for being a noob haha.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srobocop View Post
sorry, but i used to only use wax worms for whitefish fishing, but got a king this fall so i decided to keep one of the skeins. Now is boiling just a way to cure it then? what if i don't flavor it and what if i don't color it?

thanks, and sorry for being a noob haha.
Egg Cure ingredients

Mix 1 cup each of sugar, borax, and salt into 1 quart of water.
Cut eggs into bait size. Place in solution for 1 hour.
Let air dry overnight on paper towels.
Place in baggies and freeze until ready to use.
Optional: Red food coloring

Split your egg skeins lengthwise and quarter them. It's easiest to cut down the portion of the skein without the membrane and lay the sac open.

Next, with THE EXCEPTION of the eggs, bring all of the ingredients to a boil in a large pan. Make sure to stir frequently.

After the mixture has been boiled and all contents are dissolved, cool the mixture to a luke-warm temperature and then place your eggs in the brine. Allow the eggs to soak for about twenty minutes, stirring about every 7 or 8 minutes.

Then, remove the eggs from the mixture and drain in a strainer for several hours. Following this step, you will want to lay the strained eggs out in a cool place on a plastic screen or thin piece of wood for approximately 12-24 hours to dry depending on your personal preference of hardness.

Once the eggs are done to your liking, roll them in plain borax and store in a plastic container. NOTE: for loose eggs, let dry for just a few hours ... or else they will turn out like a dried pea!

You can keep them in the refrigerator for a month or so, if you plan on keeping them any longer than that, freeze in an air-tight container!

These eggs seem to milk much longer and are more rubbery, than some of the commercial cures providing you with better bait durability.

Experiment with adding shrimp oil, anise, garlic powder or other scents to the brine mixture.

Egg Cure ingredients

1 quart water
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of NON-iodized salt
1 cup of borax (20 Mule Team type, not commercial quality
Old 11-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Tracker

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery
Default chumming?

I haven't fished for whitefish since I moved from Marquette> I was wondering if the chumming ban applies to the great lakes as well. The best white fish egg cure i ever used was boiling and then dying them back orange with pro-cure then throwing 1/2 clove fresh galic in the bag with them. Eveyone one chums up there and I caught whitefish and spake with these eggs, I would fish around quite a few people who were chumming also and usually I would outfish everyone with this cure and the fish i caught would have my eggs pouring out of there mouth when I caught them, i remember catching a splake thats stomach was full of my eggs as well as its mouth, I miss fresh whitefish sandwiches.