Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting > MichiganTrapping.com > Trapping Techniques archive
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trapping Techniques archive An archive forum of trapping technique posts

Old 08-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Send a message via MSN to magnumhntr
Default Fox / Coyote Flat set ~ basic principal ?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Ok, I understand the concept of the basic dirthole set. Lure on the backing, hole with or without bait, trap in front of hole. Target animal steps on trap while investigating the hole.

Now onto the flat set. I see there is also a backing, but no hole. So is the backing getting the lure? Where is the trap bed? What is the concept with this type of set? What's the difference between the flat set and a post set? How do you get the animal to approach the correct side of the backing? Would like to ad d this set to my arsenal this year as I am going to be k9 trapping pretty hard, and would like to know the hows and whys of this set.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 08-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery

Mag,

The Flat and Post set are nothing more then a dirthole above ground.

Dave
Remove this ad...  
Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Ok...lol... but how does it work ?

Example A...

Say I use a stick 4-6 inches in diameter 2 ft long as my backing. The trap is bed about 4 inches in front of it. Lure on the stick. How do I get the fox or coyote to approach the set from the correct side? Do I need another 'backing', guiding, or will they circle it checking both sides. I'm envisioning a set out in say a cut crop field where they could approach the set from any direction. So how do I get them to step on the trap?

Also, what is the difference between a post set and a flat set?

Thanks!

Chris
Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 PM

Photos: 356Users Photo Gallery

magnumhntr,

Flat sets are a great change up set to have in your back pocket.

I like to mix up my sets and use dirtholes, flat and urine/scent post sets on any given property or location I am setting up for canines.

Here is a version of a flat set that I have had good success with over the years.

Fox / Coyote Flat set ~ basic principal ? - Trapping Techniques archive

I use a rerod stake to make the two scent holes and then cover the scent hole with some grass or a leaf.

By having two different lures, the fox or coyote will have a tendancy move back and forth between them and increase the change of stepping on the trap pan. I use a very small twig or stone as a guide on one side of the trap for the canine to step over.

Flat sets can throw a real curve to the canine that has become wise to the dirthole set.

Here is photo of a remade Flat Set, after a nice coyote found it too tempting to pass by. Hind foot catches are fairly common at a flat set for obvious reasons.

Last edited by David G Duncan; 08-20-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Korthals Ugly Dog Owner
Rank Type

Photos: 93Users Photo Gallery
Default Flat set

Magnumhntr

I don't have a pic of a true flat set but this is going to have to be close enough. This is a mound set after a skunk catch but it will show you the basic principle of a flat set. You can use a piece of bone for a backing and some eye appeal. I like to use a piece of skunk tail also. On a true flat set you blend in the dirt pattern better.

Griff

Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

I think I understand it now ~ so if I were to lure the backing, I'm assuming I just put the lure on the same side as the trap, vs on top of the backing? I see where David is trying to get them to check out both lures hoping to get them to step on the pan while going back and forth. But with Griffondogs' example, the lure would be placed on the same side of the backing , correct? Or will they circle the set regardless of where the lure is placed. I guess I'm trying to understand how an animal will approach and work a flat set, seeing as there isn't a hole on one side for them to focus on and in doing so, will know how to get them to step on my pan

Secondly, is the post set nothing more than a flat set with urine instead of lure? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for the direction!

CHris
Old 08-20-2007, 06:33 PM

Chris,

"so if I were to lure the backing, I'm assuming I just put the lure on the same side as the trap, vs on top of the backing?"

I would suggest, if you are only going to be using a single type of lure or scent at your flat set, to place it on the downwind side near the base or even slightly under your backing. Rather than simply on top. This will help in getting the canine to work the side of the backing where you have you trap set.

"I see where David is trying to get them to check out both lures hoping to get them to step on the pan while going back and forth. But with Griffondogs' example, the lure would be placed on the same side of the backing , correct?"

By using two different types of attractors at the flat set it will increase the canines curiosity. You can use a food lure in combination with gland scent, but I would not recommend using any really loud call lure at this type of set. A call lure could be placed some distance 20 or 25' up wind from the set several feet above the ground, if you are trying to draw the canine to your set from their normal travel route.

"Or will they circle the set regardless of where the lure is placed. I guess I'm trying to understand how an animal will approach and work a flat set, seeing as there isn't a hole on one side for them to focus on and in doing so, will know how to get them to step on my pan "

As you gain experience in reading sign, you will develop a sixth sense regarding where to place you trap to maximize your potential for success. By this I mean you will come to visualize where the coyote or fox will travel as they pass through any particular terrain. It is a good idea to spend as much time as you can tracking fox and coyote in the snow, so you can see how they travel in relationship to various types of landscapes they encounter.

But by always making your set and placement of your set with the prevailing wind direction in mind you will definitely increase your chances of making your catch. A canine will invaribly work a set from the downwind side!

"Secondly, is the post set nothing more than a flat set with urine instead of lure? Or is there more to it than that?"

A scent post set, also can have many variations. This type of set is basically imitation of where a fox or coyote has marked its territory. So when you are doing your snow tracking of your fox or coyote pay special attention to how they approach a location they have marked with urine. Especially to where they place their feet in relationship to the point of aim.

A tuff of grass scent post set is one of my favorites and with a fresh fox or coyote dropping place on top it makes it even better.

It is fun to set sand blows for fox or coyotes using a leading scent post set. The fact that scent post is leading will insure that they work the scent post of the side you want them to come into it from.

Last edited by David G Duncan; 08-20-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for your help and patience David. I know I ask alot of questions, probably some foolish ones, but I do appreciate the help. I never knew anyone that trapped when I was younger, so at 34 I am way behind the 8 ball per se, and any help/info I can get will help shorten my learning curve. If I meet up with ya at the convention this weekend, I'll spring for the first round

Thanks again!

Chris
Old 08-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Chris,

You are most welcome!

All of us benefit when you ask questions. So keep them coming.

Hope to see you at the convention this weekend.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 91Users Photo Gallery

I love this set, I use it just like Dave describes. I also will use it with no backing at all. Simply two holes with a trap in the middle and a different lure in each hole. I also make the holes point towards the trap (angle the hole goes down) so the animal has to be on the trap side to get his best sniff at it. I believe i caught 2 coyotes and 3 bobcats in this manner last year. (bobcats must use their noses sometimes too)

edit: the droppings really do work well. Its funny driving around and stopping to pic up coyote poop laying on the roads.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:38 AM

Mike,

I thought I was the only one picking up coyote scat!

We trappers are pretty funny. Hard telling what you might find in a zip lock bag on our freezer.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Guide

Send a message via Yahoo to Nealbopper
Post I have a few questions.

Hi all,

I have been reading all the posts and trap set variations and taking into account all that i have already learned, i feel confident that i can outsmart
the K9. I just have a few questions from a guy who hasn't bought or set his first trap. (I am looking to buy a few traps real soon for the fall season. any suggestions?)

Do you double stake a trap in an "X" pattern to prevent pull out?

What do i do with the length of chain i have on my trap?

How do i disperce not target quarry? Say a skunk? Mad dog or Racoon.?

Will latex gloves out of the box be a good choice for scent control.?

Can someone post hints on scent cotrol methods prior to getting out.?

That should take care of my most pressing questions. Thanks in advance - i have learned so much already from all you well seasoned trappers and i haven't been out yet. Awesome threads!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Guide

Send a message via Yahoo to Nealbopper
Post Purchased my traps.

While i was thinking of it i checked Craigslist.com and found 13 #3 traps already modified for a reasonable price.

I read more Basic trapping posts and know about double staking.

I found out about where the extra chain goes. I now have an idea about a catch pole but still wonder about skunks.

I am still wondering about scents and scent control.

I read about keeping your scents seperate from your traps.

Do i need a CCW to carry a small .22 for my successful traps?

How do i manage my euthanising technique so minimal damage occures?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

Do i need a CCW to carry a small .22 for my successful traps? If your going to use a pistol then I would have one, if your using a rifle then no.

How do i manage my euthanising technique so minimal damage occures? Use 22 shorts/CB's

I am still wondering about scents and scent control.

I read about keeping your scents seperate from your traps.

I use just a clean/new pair of jersy gloves (I only caught 1 fox last year) I keep my sents/lures in a pouch on the side of my bucket (it was a tool pouch that I tied to the 5gal pal I put my traps in) holds them real nice. Another idea is to use a choke tube pouch for shotguns.

Frank Manning
GreatLakesOutdoorsSports
LandManager (Thumb Area)
Old 06-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Korthals Ugly Dog Owner
Rank Type

Photos: 93Users Photo Gallery
Default trapping

Nealbopper

Sounds like you going to give Mr coyote a run for his money next year. I would suggest you head up to the Mta convention in Evart on Aug. 22 and 23. You can watch some k-9 demos from some of the best trappers in the state. I would also hold off on buying your traps now and get them up there. 3 size traps may not be what you want to start off with if your going to be trapping in Oakland County.

Griff