Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Out and About > Boating and Boat Rigging
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Boating and Boat Rigging Discuss how to rig your boat or other floatation device, the rules of the water, and safety.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Guide

Default Small boat rack for camper ?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I just picked up a 12 ft aluminum boat that I am looking to haul on top of my pop up camper, anybody know where i can get a good removable or mountable rack or carrier that I can use on my camper so I don't ruin my camper roof, I have been looking everywhere? RV dealers, internet JC Whitney? Nothing???,

I have even thought about building a rack, anybody got any Ideas or pics of how they haul theirs? or of a home made rack?

Thanks

Ken
Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Guide

Photos: 36Users Photo Gallery

When I was little may dad did the same thing when we went camping. All he did was take 2 2x4's, wrap the areas that would touch the camper and boat with foam and strap it down. Worked pretty good.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Michigan Philanthropist
Rank Type

Photos: 44Users Photo Gallery

Find yourself a set of old style cartop carriers. They clamp onto the drip edge channel of the roof/body of the car. Mount some small pieces of channel (use aluminum so they dont rust) to the roof of your camper and mount the car top carriers to those.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN-813
I just picked up a 12 ft aluminum boat that I am looking to haul on top of my pop up camper, anybody know where i can get a good removable or mountable rack or carrier that I can use on my camper so I don't ruin my camper roof, I have been looking everywhere? RV dealers, internet JC Whitney? Nothing???,

I have even thought about building a rack, anybody got any Ideas or pics of how they haul theirs? or of a home made rack?

Thanks

Ken
If you were a little closer I could fab you up a nice mount out of tube steel. Which I can still do if you brought the camper down to me. What I can do is make up a couple I poles, one for the front one for the rear. Where they would bolt onto the camper with a couple bolts and wing nuts. I would use wing nuts for easy removal. The tube steel would be light enough for you so it would not be a pain to remove to open up the camper. Then when your done camping you can just put the poles back on and put the boat back on the top and strap it down and roll on down the road. I could also put a couple rollers on it so the boat can be slid up on the top easier.

Small boat rack for camper ? - Boating and Boat Rigging
1996-2003

"It'll take more then Duct Tape to fix it!"

www.camospace.com/bigcountrysg
www.facebook.com/bigcountrysg
www.myspace.com/bigcountrysg
Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Guide

Send a message via Yahoo to blk82072

I use 4 boat seat cushions when hauling on top of the camper. Just put the cushions at the contact spots and strap the boat on them.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Guide

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery

Gander Mountain might still carry those stiff foam rubber cartop deals for canoes that fit on the gunnels and keep it from scratching the finish of the vehicle, then just strap it down.

Greg