Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

How fast do your rigs go?

16K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  sfw1960 
#1 ·
I have yet to get my new-to-me rig in the water, thanks to this weather. I was wondering what kind of speed to expect. It's an 18hp Johnson on a 14' Mirrocraft aluminum (rowboat) hull.

Can some of you guys please post your boat/motor sizes and what speeds you can achieve? This should provide interesting power/weight data. Thanks.

#2 ·
Hi Kroppe.

One of my rigs is a 12' Sears Gamefisher (fiberglass) with a 6 hp Evinrude. I've clocked it at 10 mph with a GPS.

My other rig is a 16' aluminum fishing boat (read - nothing fancy :)) with a 40 hp Evinrude. I've clocked that one at about 29 mph with a GPS also. I just recently bought a couple of different props for it though. Gonna try them out soon and see if they make much difference in overall top speed.

#5 ·
My 17'6' Starcraft Suprfisher (deep vee) with a Merc 90 does just about 40 with two people and a LOT of tackle and a full tank (26 gal). I put on a jackplate over the winter and have to go to a prop with a bit more pitch, darn thing will run over redline now, running in the cleaner water and with less lower unit drag. I'm anticipating about 7% more top end.

#6 ·
14' Smokercraft, 67" wide, 25 horse Evinride. I've had the boat out maybe 5 times and have made some adjustments each time to modify performance.

First trip by myself 26 mph on gps. Adjusted trim up.

Second trip 2 big guys and gear 18 mph. Adjusted trim up.

Third trip 2 guys and added trolling plate 16 mph. Adjusted trim down.

Fourth and fifth trip by myself 18 mph.

My thoughts are that the plate kicks up water while running and lowers my top end around 6 mph even with the plate in the up position.

I'd be looking for around 20 by yourself, and around 13 with 2 bigger guys. Let's start a pool.

#8 ·
I have a starcraft 1600 starcaster semi-v. It has a 40 horse mercery classic. The lowrance fishfinder says that i am doing 43 mph. That is with one person. :)

#10 ·
Thanks Walleyemike. I think you are correct. I have always been amazed what mine goes compared to everyone else. I will hae to get a GPS and give it a try.

#14 ·
Thanks guys, here's some data

So the question of how fast should my boat go is 9.7mph - 21.8mph. I'm guessing it will be towards the high end of that range.

Worm Dunker, I left your big rig out because the hull design and engine configuration is a lot different than the other boats. But sure would be nice to have such a fine craft!

#15 ·
Very interesting kroppe, please update us with the results. Maybe we should give the prop pitch data and see how that plays in. That's the one that makes me crazy.;)

#19 ·
Sailor,

It's just a simple factor I am using to estimate the speed of my boat. I don't have a speedo or GPS so I have to guesstimate. Here is the calculation:

horsepower / boat length x "A" = speed

I used the data the guys gave me to come up with an average "A", then used the equation above to estimate my boat's speed, which is unknown. I fully realize my estimate is not exact, not linear, etc. etc. but it is a place to start from.

I took my boat out today for the first time, and I would say it definitely runs faster than 20mph. I would venture to guess close to 25mph. I will have to borrow a GPS to find out for sure.

#20 ·
Add me to the MaTRiX!!!
I have a '02 Starcraft SeaFarer 16 Deep V (16'2" X 67") w/25 HP ELH tiller - 2 Batteries , Trolling motor , etc. , with 1 'normal' person & my Fad@$$ I get about 25MPH on either my Lowrance X70A's Speedo OR My Eagle AccuNav Sport GPS +/_ a few tenths either way!!!
18-20 MHP with 3 or 4 persons aboard --
You should get about 17-20 MPH , my guess.. I trust my GPS!!!!!!

:D Robert :D
It's a step up from my ole 14' semivee & 4HP Evinrude!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.