michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Fishing > Warm Water Species Fishing > Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River This basin deserves a forum for itself with the world class fisheries including Muskie and Walleye.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 14Users Photo Gallery
Default skis

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Great pics John! I have the itch bad!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Heres your top 3 MUSKIE for 2006.
Keith Jones aboard the IMPATIENT 38.05 lbs 50 3/4 length 24 3/4 girth
Tug Orr aboard the MEDICINE MAN 37.85 lbs 51 3/4 length 22 7/8 girth
Matt ( Catfish ) Firestein aboard the WHOPPER STOPPER 35.50 lbs 51. 7/8 length 22 girth these fish were all registered with the M.O.M.C.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... that's pretty funny Granmps... I forgot that only MOMC members catch fish on St Clair.

I know of plenty that were bigger than those fish. The fact is that you'll never know exactly WHO caught the biggest fish because the biggest ones are released.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

Even fish that are released can be weighed and measured......Don't care if they were caught trolling or casting, kept or released, or which group the angler is affiliated with, the question is a very simple one......What is the biggest and who's the MAN!!!

PS Beautiful fish Gone Fishing.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Spike
Even fish that are released can be weighed and measured......Don't care if they were caught trolling or casting, kept or released, or which group the angler is affiliated with, the question is a very simple one......What is the biggest and who's the MAN!!!

PS Beautiful fish Gone Fishing.
Sorry, I should have finished my thought on that...

I wasn't saying that any group is better than another, I just found it funny that someone would think the biggest fish caught were caught by MOMC members. Many of the biggest fish are caught by guys from OH and PA.

Sure they can be weighed and released, perhaps what I should have said is... The biggest ones are released and never weighed by anglers that prefer to stay under the radar and don't care about who knows what they caught. They fish because they love it, it isn't about competition (not that there's anything wrong with that), call them "soul fishermen" if you will. Much like the Master Angler Awards that aren't a good reflection of the biggest fish caught each year the biggest fish, of any species, is usually caught by an angler that chooses to remain nameless.

That said... I know of a number of muskies that ranged from 53-56" that were in the upper 30-40# range.

Last edited by Will Schultz; 02-14-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickStrike
I know of a 41 pound fish from LSC waters in 2005. It did not get recorded, which is surprising because the angler is a huge ego-maniac.
I'm pretty sure I know that guy!

Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River
Old 02-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 40Users Photo Gallery

I see catfish is on the list he is a good guy, I know him thru a buddy that has taken me out many times muskie fishing, Bob I will try and see if we can get hooked up this summer, so many irons in the fire.. Bob if you happen to read this I know your siting there shapening them hooks and man oh man can you sharpen a muskie hook Cya Slick
Old 02-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 12Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Spike
What is the biggest and who's the MAN!!!
Define biggest? Do you mean longest or weight?

A lot of muskie anglers never weigh their fish. They claim that the bone structure of a very large fish is not build to be supported vertically. You can damage a large fishs jaw structure or even stretch out their spine. There was a very through article a read on this topic in Esox Angler Magazine.

Quote:
  • 1. Muskies lifted by a gaff or suspended for weighing from the tip of the lower
    jaw risk internal separation of the connection between the two halves of the
    lower jaw (it is a two piece bone) and this will prevent effective feeding after
    its release.
  • 2. It has been reported that big largemouth bass when held unsupported by an
    exaggerated lip lock have suffered jaw damage. Now consider a 15 to 40 pound
    muskellunge - its jaw and associated muscles and ligaments were not constructed
    to support that weight under the influence of gravity.
  • 3. The V-shaped connective tissue on the underside of the head comes under
    significant stress (stretched and distended) when absorbing the unrelenting
    weight of the fish's torso. This are is attached to the gill arches and delicate
    vascular tissue which, if damaged could result in the death of the fish minutes
    after release.
  • 4. The cervical vertebrae (the sections of the spine connected to the skull)
    are subjected to enormous strain making likely nerve damage. Under the influence
    of the weight of the body, it will bend backward and twist in unnatural ways. A
    thrashing muskie will strain the delicate nerves in a range of directions.
  • 5. Another fairly evident problem with vertical holds is organ slippage. Within
    the abdominal cavity, the liver, kidneys, heart, gonads, and GI tract are held in
    place by membranous connective tissues. Within a vertically held muskie, the
    force exerted by some of these heavier organs will result in these tissues
    stretching and tearing as the organs slide back toward the pelvic fins.
  • 6. Any time a fish is lifted vertically, there is a greater chance that the it
    will be accidentally dropped. The result is a fish banging around the bottom of
    the boat. The consequences of this include internal injuries as well as loss of
    the protective mucous and damage to the cells that produce it.
Some guys choose to just take a length and girth measurement, and then use a formula to calculate the weight.

Now you have all of these different scenarios. Guys weighing fish, is their scale certified? Other guys using formulas? With so many different methods out there, who really knows which one is the largest fish. Then you have a guy who catchs one monster and claims his is the largest, but he let it go. Or the nameless guys who don't even care.

There is not a simple answer to this question.

If you meant which fish weighed the most on Lake St. Clair. Go to the sources of where guys take the time to enter their fish. MOMC, Michigan Master Angler website (which only covers Michigan waters), ect...... Are the records incomplete, of course. But thats the only data you have to go by.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery

Well said
Old 02-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Master Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTCHA
Well said
Amen. I echo that.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:45 AM
Guide

Default Thanks and well said

[Thanks and well said, i did not want to start a pissing match, i just thought this was the Michigan Sportsman,not PA. Or Ohio, i know there were bigger Muskie caught, i thought Ole Spike wanted Michigan Fish, and with that said i guess he did because he replied with a thanks for the info.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Photos: 157Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ESOX Send a message via Yahoo to ESOX

I know of a 38 1/2# that was caught very late in the season last year, weighed in a cradle and released. I saw a pic of it in the cradle, they only lifted the cradle out of the water long enough to take a weight and length measurement. Never swung the cradle on board. Fish was barely 50", but very fat and sassy.

Hell is something you make of your life by choice, not somewhere you go.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:14 AM

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOX
Fish was barely 50", but very fat and sassy.

Paul.. I think I dated her sister....
Old 02-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Rank Type

Photos: 50Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Bird
Paul.. I think I dated her sister....

How big were the filets???
Old 02-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

Thanks again Gramps. That is exactly what I was looking for, meaning documented fish. No offense intended to anyone, but I think we all know "a friend of a friend" or "some guy at work" who caught a bigger one, but not officially documented. As previously stated, who really knows what the biggest was? Thanks to everyone for their posts.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery
Default Here's one

This is the one I posted last year. The scale that was used to weigh this fish was calibrated to the scale used at Bottom line bait and tackle the following morning. This is his description of the event:
Hey Kane this is the picture of the muskie. It was 54 inches long 26 inch girth and weighed 46.5 pounds. Caught on May 9 at midnight handlining with a rainbow pencil plug. It was caught on the bottom in 35 feet of water next to shipping channel near mud island. It was released to swim another day.Caught by 79 year old William Grosman while walleye fishing. This was the second Muskie of the night. First one was 49 inch and 26pounds. Kane I dont know how much info you want to put in so I included it all. I appreciate you doing this for me. My dad will get a big kick out of it when he sees it thanks.

Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River