michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law Got a question about MI hunting/fishing law that you just can't figure out from the guide book?

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Guide

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery
Default skeet shooting on state land

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Bald mountain's gun range is closed right now, but they have a bunch of State land open for hunting.
My question-since its open for hunting and state land can my buddy set up his own portable thrower and shoot on the state land. He just bought his first shotgun and wants to use it. I know there are other facilities, but he lives right next to bald mountain and that land would make it very easy for him to try his new gun.

I think he could-but I don't want to get him in trouble.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg

No it is not legal to shoot skeet, target practice on stateland unless it is a state operated shooting range. There are several in the state. I suggest finding the next closest one to your location and go there. Unless the hunting area is posted as a target or practice area. Some state gaming areas are a target or practice area for firearms. But it must be marked.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn..._176311_7.html

The link above lists the land use that is permitted on stateland. It is broken down by state owned land area. As in Sharonville has a gun range where you can shoot trap. It also lists the rules for most of the state gaming areas. I hope this helps you out.

skeet shooting on state land - Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
1996-2003

"It'll take more then Duct Tape to fix it!"

www.camospace.com/bigcountrysg
www.facebook.com/bigcountrysg
www.myspace.com/bigcountrysg
Remove this ad...  
Old 01-18-2007, 10:23 AM

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg
No it is not legal to shoot skeet, target practice on stateland unless it is a state operated shooting range. There are several in the state. I suggest finding the next closest one to your location and go there. Unless the hunting area is posted as a target or practice area. Some state gaming areas are a target or practice area for firearms. But it must be marked.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn..._176311_7.html

The link above lists the land use that is permitted on stateland. It is broken down by state owned land area. As in Sharonville has a gun range where you can shoot trap. It also lists the rules for most of the state gaming areas. I hope this helps you out.
It is LEGAL to shoot on almost ALL State Land unless posted illegal.
State GAME and RECREATION area's are a different matter.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg

Then what is the difference between stateland that is open to hunting and a state gaming area. Most stateland that is open to hunting is a state game area. Also like always never play in the grey area of the law. The best thing to do is go to the next closest shooting range and shoot there. Almost all the stateland I go to, state gaming area, state owned hunting area, is all posted that target shooting is prohibited. I gave the link of the state land uses. It lists the regulations for almost all the stateland in Michigan. Some state land areas fall under state gaming area. If you go out to Sharonville state game area, if you find a small little piece of state land open to hunting 10 miles from sharonville and you ask a CO from sharonville about it. He will tell you it falls under the Sharonville state game area rules and regulations. He will also point it out to you on the map. I am giving him the best information I could find on the dnr website.

skeet shooting on state land - Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
1996-2003

"It'll take more then Duct Tape to fix it!"

www.camospace.com/bigcountrysg
www.facebook.com/bigcountrysg
www.myspace.com/bigcountrysg
Old 01-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Guide

Generally you can target shoot or shoot skeet on state game areas unless it is posted that you cannot. State forests also.

State recreation areas or state parks you cannot.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:11 PM

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg
Then what is the difference between stateland that is open to hunting and a state gaming area. Most stateland that is open to hunting is a state game area. Also like always never play in the grey area of the law. The best thing to do is go to the next closest shooting range and shoot there. Almost all the stateland I go to, state gaming area, state owned hunting area, is all posted that target shooting is prohibited. I gave the link of the state land uses. It lists the regulations for almost all the stateland in Michigan. Some state land areas fall under state gaming area. If you go out to Sharonville state game area, if you find a small little piece of state land open to hunting 10 miles from sharonville and you ask a CO from sharonville about it. He will tell you it falls under the Sharonville state game area rules and regulations. He will also point it out to you on the map. I am giving him the best information I could find on the dnr website.

1. Very little "state land" is considered a State Game Area.
There are many different classifications of "state land".....CFL, Nat. Forests, State Forests, Managed State Game Areas, Recreation Areas, State Parks....etc.

2. The document you linked only lists the reg's for a small portion of public land.....it is covering mostly State Game areas and Recreation areas.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 209Users Photo Gallery

State Game areas are under different rules than the rest of State Land. In the NLP & UP there are vast areas of state forest that are not state game areas. You can pretty much shoot recreationally on all of it unless there a local ordinance that restricts it. Not sure about shooting skeet but my guess is that it's ok. The only problem would be if they considered the broken targets as littering. Just aim well and dust them all and you should be ok!
Old 01-18-2007, 01:23 PM

Photos: 44Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsterlndr
The only problem would be if they considered the broken targets as littering. Just aim well and dust them all and you should be ok!
I believe that Ray stated one time, that in fact, it would be considered littering.

ferg....

Yep - in fact here is the link -

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...t=skeet+litter

and I'll close this for ray - as he wouldn't want the littering fact debated - it is what it is.

ferg....