Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > General Michigan Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Michigan Hunting General discussion on Michigan hunting not covered in other forums.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Guide

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery
Default Coyote w/ mange

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Twice last week I spotted a coyote near our house in Commerce Twp. with what I assume is mange. It had no fur on it's tail and most of the fur on it's body was gone as well. It only had a few small patches of fur on it's side. It's entire body, from head to tail, was a dark black, except for the couple of patches of fur. It had a sway back, but did not appear to be extremely malnourished. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed mange and, if so, how long do you think the coyote will survive? I assume once these warmer temp's drop, it will freeze to death.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

I don't know much about it, other than what you saw was probably the mange. I saw one two years ago similar and decided not to shoot it as I have no clue how to dispose of it. That coyote did have the mange according to the guys that saw it with me.

I probably should have shot it as I believe that it spreads via animal to animal contact, but I am not 100%.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by grub
Twice last week I spotted a coyote near our house in Commerce Twp. with what I assume is mange. It had no fur on it's tail and most of the fur on it's body was gone as well. It only had a few small patches of fur on it's side. It's entire body, from head to tail, was a dark black, except for the couple of patches of fur. It had a sway back, but did not appear to be extremely malnourished. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed mange and, if so, how long do you think the coyote will survive? I assume once these warmer temp's drop, it will freeze to death.
you are right on with mange and will die when it gets below freezing, terrible death scratching till he bleeds every where he can reach and then freeze to death
Old 01-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Guide

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

The mange it is!!

U.P. Trappers Assoc. District #2
N.T.A.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Default Coyote w/ mange

If you live in an area that it is legal to hunt in, if you have a valid small game license, kill the coyote. If anything at least you will be putting it out of its misery and make the suffering stop. That is my opinion. As where to get rid of it. I would contact the DNR and see what they say. It may have other health issues as well. I would put it out of its misery, I know its a coyote but still it is a living breathing animal that is suffering. The DNR may want it for testing. Just my thoughts on this.

Coyote w/ mange - General Michigan Hunting
1996-2003

"It'll take more then Duct Tape to fix it!"

www.camospace.com/bigcountrysg
www.facebook.com/bigcountrysg
www.myspace.com/bigcountrysg
Old 01-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Michigan Sportsman

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...6949--,00.html

You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something in your life.................Winston Churchill
Old 01-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Guide

Default Coyote w/ mange

Thanks guys. I actually had the cross hairs on it, but didn't pull the trigger because I didn't know how to dispose of it. If I see it again, I'll take care of it and do my best to dispose of it properly. There are several coyotes in our area, so I assume it is likely I will see more infected with mange now if it passes through contact. Anyone know the likelihood this one will try to breed or will the pack consider it an outcast? Given the time of year, I figured physical contact is more likely.

It came down the same trail 20 minutes after two yearling deer went through. Hopefully it doesn't infect them.

I had also heard that mange is a sign of their overpopulation. Is that true?
Old 01-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grub
I had also heard that mange is a sign of their overpopulation. Is that true?
It's one of the tools that nature uses to control population. Starvation is another. I burying it would be a good idea, unless burning is an option.

You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something in your life.................Winston Churchill
Old 01-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Tracker

I dunno about the one you saw, but I saw one the other day that looked a heck of a lot like the one you described. I saw it in Commerce, too...not far from the fire station, across from the golf course. Definitely mange.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Guide

I saw it by Beacon Hill Golf Course off of Cooley Lake Rd.