Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law Got a question about MI hunting/fishing law that you just can't figure out from the guide book?

Old 02-17-2002, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery
Default Riding Double on an ATV? Legal?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
If I can't give the wife a ride, I'll end up walking or going alone. Can we ride double on it? Haven't bought yet. May have to go snowmobile if we can't both ride the ATV.
Old 02-17-2002, 03:47 PM
Banned

Unless the ORV is specifically made for a passenger, which most are not, you can not carry a passenger.
Remove this ad...  
Old 02-25-2002, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Hate to be a pest, but who makes the law here? Higgins Lake was full of ATV riders with two on a machine, pulling a portable shack. That's what I want to do. Slow speed only. No trail riding. Smoth ride all the way. Copuld it be a law that is not enforced? Many of the sleds I see have a pretty long seat. The back rack has room as well.

Does anyone know who to contact for the ruling?
Old 02-25-2002, 05:00 PM
Banned

The legislature make the law on ORV's. DNR or NRC has nothing to do about changing the law with ORV's. In fact, years back when it was changed, same time as helmets, training being turned of to Dept. of ED., one of the reasons was for the injuries and deaths and groups got the legislature to change it.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:20 PM

This year we did not have a ATV safe ice on White Lake, however in a normal year two riders on a ATV is common on the ice with the fishers hoping on for the ride in all forms of riding (front, back of driver, and inside outside of the shanties). Some have the little kids in the driver's front laps may be with or without helmets (summer included). The regulations are never heard of being enforced which does not mean they are not being enforced when noticed. The owners of the rental shanties have always let the renters ride to new fishing locations inside the shanty and would never demand that they walk the mile or two. That's just the way it is on White Lake.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 23Users Photo Gallery

Does this include snowmobiles also? In other words do I have to buy a 2 person sled to take my girlfriend down the trails. Can you convert a 1 person sled to a 2 person by changing the seat or anything else like that.....Thanks
Old 05-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Banned

No such law for snowmobiles. ORV's and snowmobiles are two different animals and have completely different laws regulating them. Some things are the same some things are not even close to being the same.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 22Users Photo Gallery

Get the orv and put the wife on the sled..or you could get on the the sled. That's legal, it also a good excuse to get a really great slead setup
Old 05-05-2003, 11:49 AM
Tracker

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

Good reason to tell the wife you need an Argo, Polaris Ranger or a Kawasaki Mule. You can ride two people comfortably and legaly. Plus you dont have to wear a helmet with these. I would ask your local DNR officer what he thinks. I have seen two people on a quad here on Hubbard Lake alot, I don't know if they ticket them or not. I know they will STOP you for no helmet though. Good Luck BOLO
Old 05-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 23Users Photo Gallery

OK....so you can ride 2 people on any snowmobile? Is that what I'm getting here??
Old 05-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Banned

Correct hypox.

The riding double on ORV's is enforced.

The snowmobiles don't work very good this time of year though, even when riding double for better traction.