Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Firearms
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Firearms Discussion of all firearm weapons, including Concealed Carry Weapons, Muzzleoaders, Rifles, Shotguns, Reloading, Target Shooting, Black power tech. No sales please.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Guide

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery
Default Help me identify my Remington 870 Express

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I inherited an unused 870 Express. On the gun, it simply says "Remington 870 Express" and on the box it says it's the Remington 870 Express Combo. It came with 2 barrels and both says something to the effect of "Can use 3" and 2 3/4" loads in magnum models. All other models use 2 3/4"". I'm guessing it's not a magnum since it doesn't say magnum anywhere. Is the gun actually chambered at 2 3/4 or is it just the barrels? The new 870 Express looks to be chambered at 3" according to Remington's website. I just want to know if this gun can handle 3" loads if I get different barrels for it or if the gun itself is actually chambered at 2 3/4.

Is there anything on the web I can use to look up serial numbers that will identify the gun?

Any help appreciated.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Guide

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery

The 870 Express have been built to handle 2.75 or 3" shells for quite some time. There shouldn't be any reason to buy additional barrels if you want to shoot 3" shells.
Remove this ad...  
Old 02-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Default The barrels should be stamped as you said and all

Express models are 3 inch [can use either]. Usually there is a serial number followed by an M, the M is Magnum designated.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 65Users Photo Gallery

[quote=PackerFan
Is there anything on the web I can use to look up serial numbers that will identify the gun?

Any help appreciated.[/quote]

Yes there is, but I don't have the URL. Some of the guys in here will be able to help you out. They gave me the link this past summer and I sent in the serial # of a Remington shotgun that came into my posession.

Be patient, one of the guys in the know will see this.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Rupestris

Early 870 Express models did not have "Magnum" roll marked on the receiver. As Huntsman27 said, look for the "M" in the serial number.

Remington's early low-end 870 were calles "Sportsman's", later they became "Express" models. For the first few years the Express models had a steel trigger assembly. Later models were sold with a plastic trigger group and later the "J" lock safety.

From what I understand, the "J" lock was discontinued in '05.

If the barrels are marked 2 3/4" and 3", then by all means, shoot 3" if needed.

If you go to the Remington website and drop them an e-mail with the serial number they can tell you what year your shotgun was produced. They were able to let me know the wingmaster I bought used was made in '61.

Best of luck to ya and keep us posted,

Chris
Old 02-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Guide

OK so I just checked the box and the gun. Neither say "magnum" on them, yet both show the serial number ending in M. It almost looks like the M was stamped as an afterthought. How were people to know if they were buying magnums or not? Anyway, with that all being said, is this a magnum that can handle 3" loads? Also any guesses on how old this gun is? The thing's never been fired!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Michiganiac

Send a message via AIM to Rupestris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFan
OK so I just checked the box and the gun. Neither say "magnum" on them, yet both show the serial number ending in M. It almost looks like the M was stamped as an afterthought. How were people to know if they were buying magnums or not? Anyway, with that all being said, is this a magnum that can handle 3" loads? Also any guesses on how old this gun is? The thing's never been fired!!!
Again, the barrles should be stamped with the maximum shell size. The receiver will handle 3" without a problem. The key is making sure the barrels have a chamber for 3" shells.

I'll check my 870 at home this weekend (out of town on business today) and measure the length of the bolt/port. AFIK, the only issuy one would have in firing 3" shells from a 2 3/4" receiver is the possibility for empties to hang up when ejecting. Some folks have opened the port up length wise to allow 3 inchers to feed/extract without a problem.

When it comes to 870's, its all in the barrel.

HTH,
Chris
Old 02-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Default As Rupe said the "Sportsman"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFan
870s were the precursor to the 870 "Express" I have 2 of the Sportsman models. They had a very plain stock and forearm of some other wood than walnut. It had a little sheen to it. They had blued steel instead of the matte finish Express models have. They also did not come with choke tubes. As pointed out the trigger groups were different than current models also. The Sportsmans were made around 85-or so, the Express models came out in the early 90s I believe. They had 1 choke [Mod]. Matte blast finshed metal, and again low end wood that had no sheen. There are some 410s I saw with walnut. Usually there are clowns trying to market these as RARE guns. The story I heard was they were a special run for a Canadian Wsl and they "somehow found their way into the US............Funny because they were being sold for 229.00 at the time the same price as all the other Express models.....Buyer beware!
Back to the thread, as long as the guns an Express with the M designation your good to go. They are tough and durable shotguns.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Guide

Thanks everyone for the input! Now I just need to pick a good 3" round for turkey season!
Old 03-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Master Sportsman

Default Confused enough?

Remington marks their 3 inch chambered barrels with the caveat that you can fire 3 inch or 2-3/4 inch shells in magnum receivers. One wouldn't think this would be necessary but it is done to cover their butt when the barrels are sold separately as replacements or whatever. And yes 870 receivers are either magnum or regular. I've owned a couple of each.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:24 PM

Default Odd Serial Number

I recently traded for an unfired Remington 870. I assumed it was an express, but there's some odd things concerning the shotgun.
1. The barrel is stamped oddly:
"12 guage barrel stamped DF, Marked, " ***(star) 12 GA. 2 3/4" AND 3"*** 3 1/2" ONLY WITH SUPER MAG RECEIVER"
2. The serial number has an odd suffix:
"RS16###E" (# used to 'black out numbers)

I've owned Remington for over 58 years. I thought I knew them well, and I am fairly competent in researching firearms. Yet the "E" suffix has me confused. Also, the barrel being stamped as it is, I don't know whether I have a 'super magnum' receiver. The gun simply is stamped, "Remington 870" on the receiver.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Every Supermag I have ever seen says it right on the receiver. It also has a sliding bolt cover on the rear of the bolt.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFan View Post
Thanks everyone for the input! Now I just need to pick a good 3" round for turkey season!

remmie extra full turkey choke (.665) 3in. federal 2oz #6 Fireflight or is it freeflight? idr.. 50yrds avg.11 pellets in the bones of a pattern target. about rips their heads off to 40yrds.

Last edited by thunderman; 02-12-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Guide

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Default turkey loads

Remington xtra full choke tube.winchester supreme long range turkey loads in 3in,#5 shot.give it a try,oh should warn you though these shells will rock your world.