michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > General Michigan Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Michigan Hunting General discussion on Michigan hunting not covered in other forums.

Old 10-29-2001, 07:48 PM
Master Sportsman

Question thompson center muzzleloaders

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I remember seeing some posts about thompson center muzzleloaders the past couple months. However I can't remember what they were about. I am looking at buying a thompson center firehawk from cabelas. Anyone use one or know someone that does. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2001, 08:21 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 11Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to marty

I have two a hawkens and a black diamond and both shoot great. Their customer service bends over backwards to help you if you need. I don't think you could go wrong.
My 2 cents...marty
Remove this ad...  
Old 10-29-2001, 09:38 PM
Guide

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

This will be the 2nd season for my firehawk. I have been more than happy with it. Mine is a 54 cal. I am currently shooting buffalo bullets in it, but am going to try some sabots with hollow points this weekend to see how they shoot. When I was sighting in my scope last year I got some very consistent grouping. I shot one deer with it last year. It was a 60 yard shot that got the lungs and heart.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:55 AM
BvrTamer

If I'm not mistaken, the Black Diamond is the new version of the T/C Firehawk. I saw some of the closeout bargains on the Firehawk, and the price does look good. T/C has a great reputation for quality products and their warranty and customer service are second to none. If the price is right for you, and you don't mind having a discontinued model, I'm sure the rifle will perform very well.

Regards.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:17 AM
Master Sportsman

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

As the guy above I also own 2 TC muzzleloaders. I have the renagade and the black diamond. Just want to reiterate that TC is a great company to deal with and there guns shoot great. The have also come out with a new black diamond model the XLR which has a longer barrel for longer range accuracy. I have not shot the firehawk but I'm sure if it is made by TC it is a fine gun.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:26 PM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

T/C is a great company you can't go wrong with buying one of their products. I own a T/C Thunderhawk and am very happy with it.
Old 11-03-2001, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery

I too own a Black Diamond and have had problems with it firing after shooting 15 to 20 times and not tearing it down completely to clean it. I target shoot with it and don't feel I should have to tear it down every 10 shots to give it a thorough cleaning. I think a thorough cleaning at the end of the season should be good enough. I clean the barrel between every shot when target shooting and when hunting if possible. They sent me a new trigger assembly but that didn't cure the problem, I guess I'll have to break down and send the whole gun in. MY previous gun was a White Mount. Carbine and it was a super gun, no problems.

Salmon Slayer
Ludington, MI
2011 NAIFC Championship 1st place
Old 11-05-2001, 12:38 PM
Master Sportsman

The order is in the mail, hopefully it gets here soon! Thanks for everyones input.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:42 AM
Guide

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery
Default Firehawk

I have a Firehawk and love it. My gun is a couple years old and does not have a removeable breech plug. If the new model has the removeable breech you can't go wrong, if not you may consider a TC model that does. Being able to clean the gun like a bolt action is a feature I miss having.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:21 PM
Sportsman

I have a Knight BIghorn. I love it. Very well made, very accurate, easy to clean (recommend you use the Cleanshot powder) and great support from the company. You need to look at one before you pull the trigger on that T/C.
Old 11-10-2001, 03:44 AM
Guide

Photos: 9Users Photo Gallery

I have a Firehawk with thumbhole stock. Went shooting today with it. Can you say 11/2 inch groups @100yds? And that was after 10 shots with no cleaning (bore butter rules).
Old 11-10-2001, 08:13 PM
Master Sportsman

what's bore butter?
Old 11-10-2001, 08:26 PM
Guide

Photos: 9Users Photo Gallery

Its a patch and bullet lube. it is made by T.C. It supposedly "seasons" the bore after you shoot. They claim that cleaning between shots is not necassary.It seems to work pretty good. It is called Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:07 PM
Master Sportsman

Just got it in the mail today! I think i will try pyrodex pellets to begin with. Any recomendations on sabot types for deer?
Old 11-12-2001, 08:07 PM
Master Sportsman

I think that if you try 2 pyrodex pellets with the thompson center magnum sabots with 44 cal. 240 gr. Hornaday XTP bullets I think you will be real satisfied.

Randy