Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Wilderness state park smallies 2014

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  shrubmasters@gmail.com 
#1 ·
Going to be heading to wilderness state park mid July 2014,does anyone have a report on the bite this season for smallies? I was hoping it would be pushed back from mid June due to the long winter...? Any thoughts?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#5 ·
I don't know the area but I have a friend going there next week. He wants to rent a small boat or canoe. Does anyone know if a place to recommend? I'd like to help him out.
That is one secluded and spread out area. Maybe a kayak rental place in Petoskey or Indian River, or Wolverine? Possibly Carp Lake?

Northern Emmett co, is pretty empty except for a few party stores.

#6 ·
We will b there the same time frame. 11-20. Everything should b up to speed by now. The last couple summers have been outstanding when we have been there ( third week of july). Dont expect any less this summer😄😄. Try to fish Sturgeon Bay when the wind, weather patterns are out of the south, southwest or west. Pushes warm surface water into bay n really turns on the schools of hungry fish. Stay at camp in all other wind directions or go hit some of the local lakes. Have a blast!!! Shrubby

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#8 ·
Is sturgeon bay tame enough to venture out a few hundred feet in a heavy duty 3 man raft with anchor? Will we reach the bass?
Or is it unsafe, and can (should) we wade out and cast, I've heard they can be caught wading in big stone Bay, is sturgeon the same?

Ir

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#10 ·
I have waded out in Goose Bay which is part of Sturgeon Bay. Drive all the way to the end of the road that wilderness is on then its a bit of a hike. I was there a couple summers ago in late July. There are a ton of submerged rocky islands only a couple feet deep, I would walk along those and cast into the deeper holes about 10fow and pull in huge smallies. Used mostly sinkos and crayfish on weedless hooks. Good Luck!

#11 ·
I have waded out in Goose Bay which is part of Sturgeon Bay. Drive all the way to the end of the road that wilderness is on then its a bit of a hike. I was there a couple summers ago in late July. There are a ton of submerged rocky islands only a couple feet deep, I would walk along those and cast into the deeper holes about 10fow and pull in huge smallies. Used mostly sinkos and crayfish on weedless hooks. Good Luck!
Im curious. Why weedless hooks?? Not once in 25 years have i snagged on any weeds there!!! Shrubby

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.