Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Metal detecting

8K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  JVoutdoors 
#1 ·
First time out and worked an old abanded train grade(tracks gone) for 45 min and found some plates, spikes, coal,
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
Have thought about getting out. But I just have so many interests these days. What are you running? I am using Minelab Quattro, deep but slow machine, wish I would have gone with a Whites. Its time to hit some school playgrounds for some pocket change.

#10 ·
Dug a 1926 chauffeurs badge a while back. A merc, 1918 or 19 well worn, this week and a couple wheats plus the usual bottle caps ,pull tabs and clad and misc. junk.
Poked around where one depot was before but its been landscaped alot. Maybe one more try at it is in order.

#11 · (Edited)
I lived near a railroad track as a kid and used to have jars full of that material. I believe that it is some form of waste product from the train.
Yep, It's a "clinker" from the coal fired engines on the trains. Basically a ball of metal and other junk that would not burn up at the temps that the coal was burning.

I do quite a bit of detecting, but mostly have limited myself to water detecting the last couple years. Unfortunately, those clinkers are sometimes a problem in the water as well. I found a couple areas in Lake St. Clair where the entire bottom is covered in them. I assume they were dump spots for the old steam ships, but it makes detecting those areas nearly impossible.

#13 ·
I just happend on this heading. I have been metal detecting almost 45 years. When I started with my first detector in 1971 there were four of us that ran together. We hunted every week. More than once a week. Together we found hundreds of thousands of coins and thousands of pieces of jewelry. Slowly, one after another they have passed away. Last May I lost my last detecting buddy. Now I am alone. I would like to find someone to accompany me on more detecting adventures. Any takers?

#15 ·
I need a broken off 3" steel pipe that is no more than 3' of so under ground found. 8 Mile and Southfield area. I have an idea of the area its in. Anyone interested in a little cash on the side?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.