Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Michigan Sandhill Crane Season???

10K views 39 replies 30 participants last post by  carsonr2 
#1 ·
Was checking out the February issue of woods-n-water and noticed an article about the EUP CAC talking about an open season on Cranes and from what I gather the idea got some support.

I for one would love the chance to bag one of those flying dinosaurs. Even if they made the bag limit 1 per day I would still dedicate time to chasing "the ribeye of the sky".

What do you guys think the chances are of the state actually backing some science based hunting or is this bird going to have morning dove status forever?

#5 ·
At our farm in Cass county we have a huge problem with these, last year just after planting season we had a invasion of them. They basically walked up and down the corn rows plucking the little bit of green corn stalks that where sticking out of the ground just like you use to see in the old looney tune cartoons, anyhow we had the DNR come out and they really helped us out......he told us that we could shoot 2, we said 2 an hour, 2 a day, or 2 at a time, please elaborate? He said no I mean 2 and that is it. Well needless to say there where 1000's of them in our feilds and the neigboring fields, we ended up having to replant about 50% of our fields. We hired some neighbor kids to sit and watch the fields all daylight hours and everyday until the corn got big enough to where that bird would leave it alone. Everytime they landed they would take off on their 4 wheelers and chase them away.....So I am all for a season.

#6 ·
At our farm in Cass county we have a huge problem with these, last year just after planting season we had a invasion of them. They basically walked up and down the corn rows plucking the little bit of green corn stalks that where sticking out of the ground just like you use to see in the old looney tune cartoons, anyhow we had the DNR come out and they really helped us out......he told us that we could shoot 2, we said 2 an hour, 2 a day, or 2 at a time, please elaborate? He said no I mean 2 and that is it. Well needless to say there where 1000's of them in our feilds and the neigboring fields, we ended up having to replant about 50% of our fields. We hired some neighbor kids to sit and watch the fields all daylight hours and everyday until the corn got big enough to where that bird would leave it alone. Everytime they landed they would take off on their 4 wheelers and chase them away.....So I am all for a season.
If you make them happy with your paperwork they will increase the number for you over the next couple years. Shouldn't of been DNR who came out. Wildlife Services should of told you how many you can take.

Griff

#7 ·
We hunted them in Texas too. What a riot. Our guide had two big chessies and wouldn't use them on em, said too many dogs were killed by crippled cranes. Excellent eating also. I would love a season on them.

Bambi makes a cute sandwich!

#8 ·
Just about every open AG field in the EUP has been visited by sand hill cranes. They even drop into my food plots for a quick snack. I would like to see a season for these birds. I want to find out if they are really they "ribeye of the sky" as some say. I'll be planting barley just in case this becomes a wildlife order in 2012.

Some of October's EUP CAC meeting minutes

3. Sandhill Cranes/Crop Damage: Mr. Hoy stated that he wanted to discuss this issue with the
Council to see if there was support for a recommendation to establish a hunting season for
sandhill cranes. There are a tremendous amount of cranes. He brought his request to the
Tahquamenon Sportsmen’s Club. He understands that a permit can be obtained to shoot the
sandhill cranes, but he’s not sure how the process works. He asked Engadine farmers to come
to the meeting to inform the Council of the problems they were having with the sandhill
cranes. Mr. Gribbell, a farmer from the audience, reported the problems he has been having
with the cranes, indicating they can take out a few acres at a time. Mr. Hollnagle, manager of
the Luce County airport, also reported problems stating that at times there are quite a few
cranes at the airport. The airport goes through a federal process, but they have to prove they
are already harassing the cranes. There is an agricultural program in which they receive about
$400 a year to remove the cranes. Mr. Gorniak asked how many birds are typically at the
airport; Mr. Hollnagle replied that it ranges between 50‐200 cranes. He has to put out a notice
to the airmen in Minnesota when he sees that many. They are costing the airport money. Ms.
Giddings asked if the airport had obtained a lethal control permit. Mr. Hollnagle stated that
they have in the past, but only two a day can be shot. They didn’t get a permit this year as
they went back to harassing them. Discussion continued. Chair Pershinske asked what action
is needed by the Council. Mr. Minzey indicated that the sandhill crane falls under the
migratory bird act and the legislature has to declare them a game species. A recommendation
can be sent to the DNR Director. He stated he feels there are enough birds for a harvest
without hurting the population. However, it may be difficult to get it through to a state vote.
It is a worthwhile effort as the population problems will only escalate. Chair Pershinske added
that the bulk of the problem comes from migration. Recently, he noticed about 500 birds
sitting on 5 acres of land. Mr. Hoy stated that in his view, they are affecting the waterfowl
hunting; there are so many sandhills that they clean the oats and corn out quicker than the waterfowl can find it. Mr. Lawless asked if there is a problem in other parts of the state. Mr.
Minzey stated that the southern lower peninsula is also experiencing this issue. Chair
Pershinske stated that the Farm Bureau passes a resolution every year to make sandhill cranes
a game species. Mr. Hoy thanked Mr. Gribbell and Mr. Hollnagle for coming at his request to
inform the Council of the issues.

Mr. Hoy made a motion that the Council support and encourage the DNR to spearhead a
legislative movement for the establishment of a sandhill crane season. Chair Pershinske
asked if there was any discussion on the motion. Mr. Devillez asked if there was any science
indicating that this species was increasing nationally. Mr. Minzey stated that he doesn’t have
that information available at this time; he noted there is a sandhill crane census. Mr. Lawless
asked how many states have a season. Mr. Minzey stated Tennessee, the Dakotas, Nebraska,
Montana, Wyoming; most western states. Mr. Becks supported the motion made by Mr.
Hoy. Ayes: All. Nays: None. Absent: Mr. Buckingham, Mr. Carr, Mr. Duke, and Mr. Ford.
Motion carried.

#11 ·
Why does it have to be a state vote on this matter? Management of our natural resources should be based on sound science not emotion. Who makes thèse final décisions ? Why not propane bangers which work in other areas, not kids flying around on four wheelers tearing up a newly sprouting field, although i would have loved to do that. Crop depradation is no laughing matter when it hits you in the Pocket book.

#12 ·
It'll never happen. Dove season part 2 regards.
I dont think it would be an issue like the dove season was. Sandhill cranes don't fly into peoples yards and eat off their bird feeders. That was the problem with letting people vote on a dove season, they only saw doves as a cute bird that hangs around their yard.

Most people in the general public probably couldn't identify a sandhill crane if you showed them a picture of one. Therefore most people wont care if there is a season for them.

#13 ·
I would love a crane season, goose hunting in the EUP we've had multiple chances at cranes but always have to watch them fly by. The problem I heard was that Michigan is a big flyway for the cranes and when you get down south you are lucky to see 10 cranes your whole season. So population numbers arent as good as they should be. Thats just what I have heard as to why we dont. I would also love to have a dove season, actually did a project on that one year for a class.

#14 ·
Why does it have to be a state vote on this matter? Management of our natural resources should be based on sound science not emotion. Who makes thèse final décisions ? Why not propane bangers which work in other areas, not kids flying around on four wheelers tearing up a newly sprouting field, although i would have loved to do that. Crop depradation is no laughing matter when it hits you in the Pocket book.
A vote for cranes being game birds is up to the legislature. They have to specifically identify game birds. Once that's done, DNR can then manage them.

Remember, doves were identified as a game bird via Tabor's bill, but the antis forced a referendum (i.e., put on the ballot for elector vote) that ultimately overthrew that piece of legislation and returned the dove to non-game bird status.

So, the question is: Will the antis put up a fight on the crane? If so, I'd rather go for a dove season as it will allow much more hunting opportunities than crane.

#17 ·
My understanding after hunting cranes in Saskatchewan and ND is that our cranes are a different sub-species. Having said that I would love to hunt them here, they are the best eating waterfowl in my opinion.

I have served crane to many people who would swear it was beef.

TD

#18 ·
The average citizen will hear Crane and think of the Blue Heron.
And try to convince the average joe citizen, let alone anti's, that they are edible and in fact very good. :dizzy:

Although I have no problem with the thought of a season, it will never happen here in Michigan. More rural states where hunting is still a part of their culture (such as the season they have in North Dakota)...sure. But here? Not on a bet. We hunters, and the hunting culture, are a dying breed here.

One township just outside Lansing has had a "nuisance" deer hunt for the past few months, and they didn't shoot as many as they wanted, so the township manager is asking the DNR to extend their special permit. It's making the papers, and the bleeding hearts are coming unglued. You would think they were asking to euthanize people for god's sake.

#20 ·
Wow some of you sure are content to roll over and take it... "gee oh poor me. We will lose anyway might as well not bother even trying". You guys have spent to much time as Lions fans!

I for one would welcome a crane season. If the DNR says the population is such that a season is sustainable then the sportsmen of this state should work towards having a season.

#21 ·
Wow some of you sure are content to roll over and take it... "gee oh poor me. We will lose anyway might as well not bother even trying". You guys have spent to much time as Lions fans!
My post was pessimistic...agreed. But with all due respect Brandon, you UP dwellers have a completely different situation up there with regards to culture. Sometimes I think the UP should be part of another state, not the lower part of Michigan because you are VERY different up there. An example is your previous posts about how you've gone into the local schools to talk about hunting, fishing, trapping, etc., and they welcome you there. If you tried to do that in one of the schools down here, they'd probably call the local police and have you forcibly removed :yikes: A bit of an exageration there, but you get my point. A vast majority of the people down here in the highly developed parts of the state are so far removed from hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. You know...you lived in the metro Detroit area for years. It's the old example of someone bitching about hunters, then doing the McDonald's drive-thru at lunch for their big mac. Completely illogical...but there is no logic with these people.

Okay, I'm done with my gloom and doom talk. I think you ought to get your legislator from up that way (Casperson?) to sponsor a bill on Sandhill Crane hunting ;)

#22 ·
I'm all for a crane season. The sooner the better. But my understanding is that the overall population of the eastern subspecies that we have here in Michigan is still below the threshold level where the Feds would consider allowing a hunting season. The good news is that the population is increasing, so there may come a day when hunting will be "possible." Will it be "allowed" in our state is a completely different question. However, I believe it is worth pursuing. Farmers know the damage these birds can do. Most people don't. If YOU have an opportunity to discuss cranes with someone who doesn't hunt, make SURE you tell them about how much of a nusiance cranes can be, and let it be known that in MANY other states they are indeed hunted. When the time comes, I believe this will come down to a vote like the dove fiasco, and we will need all the help we can get to get it passed. Know your talking points NOW, and begin to use them!

#23 ·
I have 2 landowners that I goose hunt on their property that both have federal permits to kill sand hill cranes. The landowner and any guests can shoot as many as they want with any weapon. These are federal permits, not state. I couldn't believe it when they were telling me about it but they both showed me their permits. However you cannot hunt them with decoys from a layout blind. We read the fine print just as we were ordering some crane decoys from Cabelas. Never got a chance to kill any with them but were going to try next spring. One of the farmers has had a permit for the past 3 years. He said it cost him $500

#24 ·
Sometimes I think the UP should be part of another state, not the lower part of Michigan because you are VERY different up there.
To be honest you could probably draw that line along along M-20 and include us in the Northern lower in with the UP. Hunting is as a large part of the heritage in the area I live in. We plan meeting schedules at the government level around season dates, and during the fall all meeting discussions begin with a recap of everyone's hunting activities. The local newspaper reports on hunting seasons, shows successful hunters pictures and reminds everyone of important dates like the Turkey Application deadline.

Sure you have some bunny huggers as you do anywhere, but they have all left there "second" homes by the time any of the seasons have rolled around.

#25 ·

I for one would welcome a crane season. If the DNR says the population is such that a season is sustainable then the sportsmen of this state should work towards having a season.

I worked my butt off on the Dove issue and learned one really hard leason .

Too many deer hunters in this state do not like / understand other hunting pursuits. It still amazes me today the number of "hunters" that came out against the dove hunt. I spent 4 weekends at cableas handing out fliers, talking with people who should have been prohunting.

But I hate to say it but the deer hunters (self described) said that doves were not valid targets. If we cannot get the countries most common game bird to be legal I have real doubts about cranes.

That said I hunt cranes everytime I can and would love a season.

TD

#26 ·
To be honest you could probably draw that line along along M-20 and include us in the Northern lower in with the UP. Hunting is as a large part of the heritage in the area I live in. We plan meeting schedules at the government level around season dates, and during the fall all meeting discussions begin with a recap of everyone's hunting activities. The local newspaper reports on hunting seasons, shows successful hunters pictures and reminds everyone of important dates like the Turkey Application deadline.

Sure you have some bunny huggers as you do anywhere, but they have all left there "second" homes by the time any of the seasons have rolled around.
Yep a lot of the northern lower is still in that same boat. But that ship sailed a LONG time ago around the major cities in the southern LP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.