Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Opening day buck pole photo!!

3K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  SwitchBack.2 
#1 ·
It was a slow day at my brothers with five guys hunting. This was the only deer shot before 12:00pm on 11/15/08.

See less See more
#6 ·
judging by the size.... you should have let that one go! Shame on you for shooting a 1.5.... geesh!

thats funny!

I did something similar... last day light of gun season last year, there were bunnies sitting in front of me so I nailed one and when my dad and sister got to me thinking I got a deer, I showed em the blood where the "deer" had flopped a couple times... told em it dropped up ahead and I already had my rope on it (which I did) and we laughed as I dragged the bunny up the hill to the house... we were gathered around the "deer" at the hanging pole, and when mom came out with the camera (as with tradition)... she was very disappointed when we all stepped aside and there was a bunny, er "deer" hanging there. Always good for a laugh.

#11 ·
I had a friend that had a big deer camp in the Hillman area around 1999. They still go up there (State Land) every year. I came over the day after the opener to find that the only deer hanging in the tree was an old John Deere lawn tractor :lol:. Needless to say, that group of hunter's drank more then they hunted.:lol: Rumor has it that they met some guy at the bar that had a broke down lawn tractor that he wanted to "sell". The drunk guys got directions from him and left the bar before he did and threw it in the truck. That was the one and only day I hunted with them..... headed home the next afternoon:lol:.

#17 ·
No neck shots. I was actually aiming for the eye but was a little off.;)

Also as you can see it was more of a mercy kill. After I put it down with a head shot I was able to count 142 previous shots by off target arrows.

The meat was a complete loss as you can see the buck had lost alot of weight due to being wounded so many times. On the hoof it only wieghed in at 35 lbs, but as you can see the rack was definatly worth mounting and I will follow with pics when I get it back from the taxi.

Just goes to show the will to survive these animals have. I would have like to see what he would have become next year, but after having him aged by a DNR biologist he came out to be 5 1/2 yrs old. :yikes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.