Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Consumer's Power pricing to run power per foot

42K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Steve 
#1 ·
I need to know approximately what Consumer's Power charges per foot, both above ground and below ground to run power out to a residence. Also how many feet do you get for free.

#2 ·
I need to know approximately what Consumer's Power charges per foot, both above ground and below ground to run power out to a residence. Also how many feet do you get for free.

Steve, I believe that it is about 7.00 per foot.

You can go to http: // www . consumersenergy . com/welcome.htm (had to break the link sorry..less than 15 post)

and use the 'Search' for trench price per foot. You will find you answer.

#4 ·
Steve, I ran both gas and electric about 75 feet at home and it cost me about $1800.00. I put up a temp pole and ran my own line 200 feet up north for about $500. How far do you have to go?

#6 ·
It may depend upon the twp.... when we were investigating the same, they would run 600ft. free--- but only to a residence (had to be under construction with foundation in and upper const. begun.) They would run to a permanent building (other than home, like to a pole barn), but we had to pay initial installation to run it (over $4600) then they would credit us for amount of first 5 years use. They also required 30' either side of line 'ground-to-sky' cleared.

They said THAT twp. ord wouldn't allow running to vacant land and just putting in a pole. We had 2 elec. engineers out to the property and rec.d the 'news'.
~ m ~

#7 ·
Steve, you might find an electrical contractor willing to do the trenching, running the conduit and pulling the wire at a less expensive rate than consumers. I don't know if they'd also let a contractor do all the connections at the meter as well. That way all the power company would have to do is connect it to the pole transformer.

It's been a long time since I've done any of that type of work so I forget exactly what a contractor can and can't do.

#8 ·
Wow, 1400' yea going to cost you some. I would say keep using your generator, for now. Going to take you a long time to recoup that investment, with this states economy.

I have a gas well that uses electric so the transformer was already back in the woods:).

#9 ·
If this is hunting property, and you have plans of doing it in the future when...ya know, yer gonna "retire" or something...I strongly recommend paying to do it now....that and, well, with the price of metals going up, and the value of the dollar going down, you are going to get more and more expensive in the future.

When I bought my wire for my garage, it was rated for 100 amp direct burial. Price was 50 cents a foot. That alone is $2100. You are going to have to rent a trencher for a weekend. That will cost you another $300.

I'll send ya a PM with more info.

#15 ·
I can buy a lot of generators for that money. Just hope I can build a "qualified" residence without having power that is run from a Utility company.

I think you can......(You're "amish" aren't ya??LOL)
Steve ,
I'm guessing this is for your hunting property up north??
Look in to the "Generac" series of propane powered generators sold by Lowes , Cabela's , Northern tool - ETC.....
For less than what you'll pay for running all that wire and you can run a whole house off it.
:D
http://www.northerntool.com/categories/generators/residential-standby-generators/

Check out the Guardian 7kW for $2199.00!
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_36+280778+770955

G'Luck!
Robert

#17 ·
I was quoted about $4000 to go 350 ' above ground and over $9000 below ground, including a boring charge to go under the road, to a pole barn. This is "non-residential" and is billed at a higher rate.

Same location with power run directly past the barn then another 750' to a new house was less than $2000 above ground and a little over $6000 below ground not including a transformer and drop to the barn.

Just call them and ask them to quote it out. They were easy to work with. #s are approximate, I could look up the exact figures. This was with a clear path to both sites. I think they required a 12' clear path for underground but I'm not sure.

#20 ·
I did a small under ground lead in. I had the engineer from consumers come out and we went over the job. I put in the trench and pipe. It was a lot of work. It cost 250 for a hundred foot lead in plus pipe.when going under drive ways must put it in pipe.The gennie might be the way to go. gl

#23 ·
Here's the finished product. Really not of much use to me right now.

It's about 8' x 6'. It has vented soffits, vented ridge cap and the vent in the one
side that you can see and other on the other side but lower for cross ventilation.

#25 ·
The price for underground was exact. The price for above ground (with as many trees as I have around would not be a good idea) was a rough estimate which really depended on how many trees they'd have to cut down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.