Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterfowl Forum rules, please read. New Members start here

38K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Coldwater Charters 
#1 ·
REMINDER:

Guys, please do not post your for sales in this open forum. I've had to move 3 in the last two days to the SELL, BUY, TRADE forum (but as a courtesy, I left redirects in this forum for members to be redirected easily.)

Open forums are discussion forums only. for sales have their own forum on the site.

I know it seems to make sense that duck gear should be in front of duck guys, but that's the way they have this site set up. that's the rules. they don't want guys using the open forum to continually bump, or attempt auctions ("what do you think this is worth? I'm selling..."), posts that would soon clutter the open forums.

I struggle a bit with this myself, but the rules are the rules, so help out the poor mods, please. thanks.

what I would do-
post it properly in the sell-buy-trade forum and then post a flagging post here in waterfowl to get guys attention. (Other members have done this in the past- I'm sure you've seen some if you frequent the site enough. Safety Man comes to mind for one.) a, "hey guys, check out my gear..." post here and that's it. your post is up, it's doing it's job , but then... it goes away off the front page in a day.

thanks in advance for your cooperation.

See less See more
#2 ·
Let's get this outta the way before the seasons start-

Do yourselves a favor and DO NOT post up specific locations of bird concentrations, gps coords to your honey holes or roosts.

It's so important, I'll say it again:

DO

NOT

DO IT!

You'll have company the next time you go out there.

We have this same problem in the fishing forums mainly. You'd never see a guy say "well, at coords x, y, z.... we got 4 man limits of kings in 20 minutes". Just doesn't happen. If you've seen it, it only lasts minutes before it's deleted.

Here's some reasons; 1. guys wouldn't/shouldn't do it to themselves and
2. mods go in and delete it for all the other guys that fish that same stretch because we get inundated with PMs about said post.

3. All the cyberscouts out there that arent members but more than happy to take all the info you have to share with them.

Be smart.

#3 ·
Guys,

We're not trying to get everyone wound up about things. it's just a Public Service Message to use some judgement in your public posts.

Brag up your successes. please! everyone likes to see/read about them.

But should you call out that you took zone 40 three days in a row and had 4 man lmits every day? probably not.

or , that you were cruising along I-94 between Ann Arbor n Chelsea and saw "what must have been 3,000 geese working a field..." probably not either.

there's the public forum and then there's this great lil tool, called Private Message. PM all your favorite buddies if you're just dying to tell someone where all the birds are.

but...
If you find 3k geese working a field, you just send me a PM and leave it at that! :p

#4 · (Edited)
Here's some advice for a brand new user of this site: LURK for a while without posting. Yeah, I know lurkers get a bad rap, but only the ones that NEVER participate and NEVER intend to. If you're willing to contribute but don't have anything to say yet, then wait until you do and then post something useful. It's kinda like scouting a new duck marsh, you need to watch for a while to see how the birds pattern. You need to know which way the wind blows. Do that here for a bit and you will learn a LOT; both about the passtime of waterfowling and about the many personalities on this board. You'll begin to notice patterns. You'll see which kind of questions get answered straight and which get the smart ass comeback. You'll learn which members posts are worth reading, and trust me not all are. Some people aren't very friendly, others are salt of the earth. We don't always agree, and we're often more than happy to tell each other that. If you're easily offended, be careful what you say because you may get jumped on (and sometimes you may deserve it!).

When you do begin to post, make sure your profile is filled out - we like to know a bit about you before you'll be taken too seriously. Don't start a thread with your first post, unless it's a post to introduce yourself. When you've posted a bit on other threads, a thread you start will be treated with greater respect.

If you have questions, use the "Search this Forum" tool. If it is about waterfowl and it hasn't already been discussed here, then I'd be really surprised. If you don't find what you're looking for, then ask. Just be thick skinned enough to expect all kinds of answers...... Most guys here are pretty helpful, and don't hesitate to use the "ignore" tool for those that aren't.

Reactions: witkowski1028
#5 · (Edited)
Make this thread really short and to the point-

for whatever reason, there's an aire of discontent throughout the forum and it probably should be addressed, so here it goes;

Waterfowl Forum:

This is an open forum, free to discuss all things related to waterfowling.

Posting pics- I would encourage people to freely post up pics. everyone enjoys flipping through a hunt album, so please post them up here without fear of persecution.

The Internet C.O. - see/read something that doesn't sound kosher? notice that his boat tags are expired, comments about a days shoot but shows pics consisting of 2 days bag, .... how about doing him/her a favor and if you feel the need to comment, DO IT THROUGH THE PM PROCESS. 1. they'll either give you the full run down that they didn't use that boat, that indeed it was a weekends total - not one day and/or they may thank you for your level of concern.

Public flaming is unnecessary and counter productive. there are sites out there where guys just can't wait to light into one and another. it's what they do, but it soons get boring and the site dies - it's not going to be here.

Language- For those of you from the chris rock/george carlin/andrew dice clay school of english language usage... use phonetics, "sounds likes", [blanks], whatever. it's amazing how flaming the curse words can be when it's printed for all to see and it just goes downhill from there.

and lastly, it's a simple thing that we all learned before the age of 6.

"If you can't say anything nice... don't say anything at all"

a simple thing and yet, it's amazing how much more positive energy there'd be around here.

everyone isn't going to be your friend. you're not all going to agree. If you have a beef, take it up through the PM process or take it up with a Mod (Dead Bird - ;), JK of course ).
If you just can't stand someone and just feel this need to poke the bear? dont - put them on your ingnore list.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.