Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Land Improvement

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Luv2hunteup 
#1 ·
Just finished Planting 160 trees on my propery as part of a concervation improvement. Right now I have a little of 10 acres of land looking for more ideas on how to better my property for deer and small game. And one have suggestions.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I should mention that the land is mostly open field as of right now. With a small wetland that seems to hold ducks and geese. I've also seen woodcock around the property. Looking to hold more grouse and sharp tail that are in the area. The deer pass right through mostly at night though, I figure that the trees planted will act as a good bedding area, but not for a good 10 years or so.

#7 ·
Two weeks ago I planted 1000 hybrid poplar, 200 pine, 50 Cranapple, 50 Grey Dogwood, and 100 Bur Oak.

Has anyone had major issues with deer browse on poplar seedlings? I just bought tree tubes for the Cranapple at @ $2.55 a piece. I can't afford to purchase for all the poplar. Wondering what tricks have worked to keep the deer browse to a minimum. I need purchase a gallon of Deer Out spray, and hoping the mint smell will at least keep the deer away so the seedlings can establish this summer. As my buddy reminded me - if the deer are hungry enough... at least they'll have fresh breathe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.