Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Are they always 12 miles out

7K views 81 replies 40 participants last post by  kapt ken 
#1 ·
Are the bay walleye EVER within catching distant for Joe Average fishermen? By catching distance I mean like couple of miles. Any chance on the ice is better than no chance sitting on the couch. Have a good season all and be safe.

#58 ·
Pulled a lot of fish just 1.5 from shore for a good part of the season... Ya just have to be willing to move around a bit. Sometimes just 50 yard move will pay off big time.
Hey rooster rember a few years back we, went out of thomas and went 11 miles out and between the 3 of us came in with 7 fiish. The next morning we went 1.5 miles out and pounded and some bonus white fish.

#60 ·
Just make sure that you have a functioning GPS as well as a backup if you're gunna run out 12 miles... It's a hell of a scary ride to Au Gres in the dark when you originally launched out of Thomas road... Don't ask me how I know that!........... :yikes:

#61 ·
Just make sure that you have a functioning GPS as well as a backup if you're gunna run out 12 miles... It's a hell of a scary ride to Au Gres in the dark when you originally launched out of Thomas road... Don't ask me how I know that!........... :yikes:
I know thats right. Last year me and fishingsuperintendant1 went out near the shipping channel and when we dicided to call it it was dam near a blizzard. Couldnt see 50 ft. Were following the gps and I kept saying to myself seems like were going farther out. Well out of no where popped the beach at sunset lol

#62 ·
I know thats right. Last year me and fishingsuperintendant1 went out near the shipping channel and when we dicided to call it it was dam near a blizzard. Couldnt see 50 ft. Were following the gps and I kept saying to myself seems like were going farther out. Well out of no where popped the beach at sunset lol
At least it wasn't somebody's back yard on Pt Lookout! LMAO

#64 ·
At least it wasn't somebody's back yard on Pt Lookout! LMAO
Holy ****!!! That's a ride right there mister!! What's that like 30 miles? Lol. My cousin lives on Pt Au Gres and he leaves his house and comes to fish with us all the time. We usual fish north of Linwood a bit. I thought that was a cruise. He generally just brings beer and his tackle bag and jumps in my shanty though. So he hauls ass, not gear.

#65 ·
And we fish 6 to 8 miles a lot. Last year we fished almost exclusively about 9 miles out. Didn't move much at all other than 100yrds or so each day. We beat the living crap out of them too. Never had a reason to move. Had some buddies bounce around and always came back. We were generally alone too. No one noticed us there every day. Lol.

Just goes to prove the saying "never leave fish to find fish"

#68 ·
Hey Ralph u know what we need to do. I think we can build the custom 30 pack rack it should be able to mount to a quad or snow machine. I would bet with this new cargo system we could hall more beer witch would cut down on beer runs and allow more time for fishin.
I'm thinking a keg with ski's, or just someone that could haul enough out for us like this fine individual..:evilsmile

#69 · (Edited)
It was a perfectly clear and calm day and we followed the highway out to #1... When we got there, I spun my sled around and pointed it straight back to shore looking down the tracks that I had made coming out because I didn't own a GPS... I swear that I was heading in a straight line the whole time but somehow, I managed to loop back around and drive straight to Pt Lookout

We were 12 miles out of Thomas road and if my memory serves me right, my odometer said 15 miles when I finally hit shore...I knew something wasn't right when I hadn't hit land at 12 but I could see the lights on shore not too far off...I figured that I had traveled a little too far north or south... It was so clear that night that I could see lights on both shores from where we were fishing and I think that's why I thought that I was heading in the right direction

My brother and friend made it back to the trucks safely and that was another valuable lesson... Never split up from your group even if you want to leave early or stay later! Needless to say, I bought a handheld Garmin the next day and haven't been on the bay without some form of navigation ever since

I was a little younger and a hell of a lot stupider back then but now when I look back on it, I'm glad I had that experience because it was invaluable in teaching me to respect that body of water... It's not like I was a novice fishing out there either... Even tho I was in my early twenties, I had already spent quite a few years chasing walleye all over the bay... Experience is no means to justify ignorance, I found that out the hard way...

I'm just glad that I'm still here to share my mistakes with you guys... I hope that somebody who reads this and was thinking about just winging it will strongly reconsider... It just isn't worth it!

#70 ·
It was a perfectly clear and calm day and we followed the highway out to #1... When we got there, I spun my sled around and pointed it straight back to shore looking down the tracks that I had made coming out because I didn't own a GPS... I swear that I was heading in a straight line the whole time but somehow, I managed to loop back around and drive straight to Pt Lookout

We were 12 miles out of Thomas road and if my memory serves me right, my odometer said 15 miles when I finally hit shore...I knew something wasn't right when I hadn't hit land at 12 but I could see the lights on shore not too far off...I figured that I had traveled a little too far north or south... It was so clear that night that I could see lights on both shores from where we were fishing and I think that's why I thought that I was heading in the right direction

My brother and friend made it back to the trucks safely and that was another valuable lesson... Never split up from your group even if you want to leave early or stay later! Needless to say, I bought a handheld Garmin the next day and haven't been on the bay without some form of navigation ever since

I was a little younger and a hell of a lot stupider back then but now when I look back on it, I'm glad I had that experience because it was invaluable in teaching me to respect that body of water... It's not like I was a novice fishing out there either... Even tho I was in my early twenties, I had already spent quite a few years chasing walleye all over the bay... Experience is no means to justify ignorance, I found that out the hard way...

I'm just glad that I'm still here to share my mistakes with you guys... I hope that somebody who reads this and was thinking about just winging it will strongly reconsider... It just isn't worth it!
It hardly ever freezes solid in front of pt augres You are very lucky.

#71 ·
Been there Waz, but not to that extreme. Was off king rd. (hidden harbor) and ended up in snowstorm off qcee heading towards hotponds:yikes:. A guy we come up on with a lorand pointed us in the right direction when the snow let up. The most important one word I learned that day....COMPASS;)

#72 ·
Last year i was off linwood in the blackhole and looked on ms and there was a guy on a sled that left his buddy in the shanty and went to shore to buy a auger,no gps and the phone died and he he has no idea where he is.I hear a sled goin by so i look out and see a big cardboard box on the back so i wave him down and through the ms site we found the guy in the shanty.

#73 ·
Last year I had trouble in a snowstorm using my Lowrance 522 iGPS where it would not lock on for a long time. I must have sat there for a half hour and when it finally linked up I didn't drive a 1/2 mile and it lost signal again, must have done that 5 times on the ride in. Anyone else have issues like that with a Lowrance? Do that handheld GPS with the short external antenna vs. the Lowrance internal antenna have the same issues?

#74 ·
Been there Waz, but not to that extreme. Was off king rd. (hidden harbor) and ended up in snowstorm off qcee heading towards hotponds:yikes:. A guy we come up on with a lorand pointed us in the right direction when the snow let up. The most important one word I learned that day....COMPASS;)
Thats what happen's when you have to much Bud Light!:lol::lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.