Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Muskegon lake

12K views 88 replies 23 participants last post by  Highball28 
#1 ·
Thinking about taking thursday and friday off from work. Fishing thursday and saturday. My question is are the eyes or perch doing much. I fish for eyes this summer by strawberry and did good on eyes just was wondering if that gerneral area, or anyothers, were producing. If not I might head up to hardy and try that. Thanks for any input, p.m.s welcome.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#55 ·
went out on a buddies boat sun morning,we launched behind shoreline bait.not sure of the launch title but docks were still in.started a little after daylite near bear creek.saw some action in other boats,looked like small ones.we had a couple bites.then looked around at the sand docks for a few.ended up between the clipper and paper mill in 55fow.we caught about 50 with most at7in,maybe 15 that were 9 to 11 in.minnows seemed to work best,we did catch some on waxis and wigs.hoping it holds up and there will be some good ice action this winter.

#56 ·
went out on a buddies boat sun morning,we launched behind shoreline bait.not sure of the launch title but docks were still in.started a little after daylite near bear creek.saw some action in other boats,looked like small ones.we had a couple bites.then looked around at the sand docks for a few.ended up between the clipper and paper mill in 55fow.we caught about 50 with most at7in,maybe 15 that were 9 to 11 in.minnows seemed to work best,we did catch some on waxis and wigs.hoping it holds up and there will be some good ice action this winter.
Was the bait shop open on Sunday morning?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#57 ·
Trolled for eyes Sunday afternoon into the evening. Tried just about everywhere, caught pike just about everywhere. Marked a ton of fish, everywhere. I think we ended up boating 6 or 7 northerns and lost another couple. No walleyes, but we did manage a brown trout. Hit a floating rapala 50' behind the board on a steep break. She probably went 4-5 pounds and shocked everyone in the boat. Guess that's proof you never know what you're going to catch.

Talked to a guy perchin' who did very well near Bear Lake channel. Numbers were great, size was okay.

#59 ·
ya it was open,around 8am when we got there.bill [think that's his name] is mighty proud of his minnows.asked for 5 doz and got 4.
Actual conversation I had there last spring.

"Three dozen perch shiners please."

"Okay... [grabs bucket]... one... two... three... four... five... six... seven..." :banghead3

I'm all for a guy making a living, but trust me, the margin on minnows (and other live bait) is pretty doggone good. The margin on the time I have to go fish isn't nearly as lucrative. With that said, Snug Harbor has never done me wrong. Just my two cents.

Report I got from Monday was slow. Sand Docks... about 18 keepers.

#60 ·

"Okay... [grabs bucket]... one... two... three... four... five... six... seven..." :banghead3

I'm all for a guy making a living, but trust me, the margin on minnows (and other live bait) is pretty doggone good. The margin on the time I have to go fish isn't nearly as lucrative. With that said, Snug Harbor has never done me wrong. Just my two cents.

Ditto! Snug gets my business. I'll stop in for minnows and end up buying a few other must-have lures and maybe some beer....all because he's not stingy on the minnows. Shoreline stands out as the worst minnow counts I've seen anywhere!

#61 ·

That is the same experience that I have had a Snug Harbor, but Snug charges $2.50 for exactly one dozen and Shoreline charges $1.25 for one dozen.... And the last time that I bought perch minnows at Snug, they weren't even shiners. I go to Ray's for my bait now.

#64 ·
I can speak for myself and noone else, but I remember the days when perch fishing was fantastic and going to the bait store and getting a few dozen minnows meant at least 4-5 dozen. It seems that since the perch have gone down in numbers, the bait shops have been more conscientious as to how many minnows they dole out. Probably because there is not as much interest as before and they need to conserve their stock. Who knows. that being said, even though Bill is a bit stingy, I always seem to have enough bait for an outing. Spikes never seem to fail and they stay on the hook better anyway.

#65 ·
I can speak for myself and noone else, but I remember the days when perch fishing was fantastic and going to the bait store and getting a few dozen minnows meant at least 4-5 dozen. It seems that since the perch have gone down in numbers, the bait shops have been more conscientious as to how many minnows they dole out. Probably because there is not as much interest as before and they need to conserve their stock. Who knows. that being said, even though Bill is a bit stingy, I always seem to have enough bait for an outing. Spikes never seem to fail and they stay on the hook better anyway.
In talks with bait shop owners, I think the supply in the Muskegon/Oceana/Ottawa Co. area is pretty thin. By that, I mean there aren't many people dipping minnows for sale at bait shops. If one's out or doesn't dip for a week or two, bait shops will run out real quick. A couple summers ago, we couldn't find minnows in Muskegon, so a couple guys got the glass minnow traps. If you can find spots with shiners, they work really well.

#66 ·
where is rays located?we drive up from gr and usually head out from s shore or 2nd st.
Ray's Mini Mart is located on M-120 just north of the M-120 exit ramp off US-31. If you're coming in from GR, stay on 31 and take it passed the North Muskegon exit and over the river flats. The next exit is M-120. Hook a right off the exit ramp and Ray's is less than a 1/4 mile down the road on the right side. It's a gas station/store on a pie-slice intersection with East River Road.

Leaving there, you can take M-120 south all the way to North Muskegon.

#71 ·
No, just was worried about scratches... 2014 1875 pro-v . Not ready for to many marks yet. By time I realized it wasn't getting better it was to late to turn around. But everything looks fine, it just sounded & felt terrible. I'm not sure about any other launches, it will be hartshorn for me unless another warm-up

#72 ·
I have a '91 Lowe but I don't like crunching any gear as much as the next guy - GLAD to hear you didn't tear up your new baby!
:eek:
Docks are out @ Hartshorn so I would rather break a little skim if I had to, but we'll see how it goes....Thanks for the reply back!

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.