Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Stocked Rainbow Trout

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  river rat78 
#1 ·
Doing some research on the DNR Stocking database, I see that a lot of my local lakes have been stocked with an abundance of rainbow trout for several years. Was looking for any tips of how to fish for rainbows on hard water? Im always looking for new species to chase and it just seems that rainbows in my area are way over looked for the numbers of fish that the DNR have been stocking. Any tips and/or strategies would be great!

#3 ·
I live on a lake that stocks rainbows and this will be the 12th season of fishing it. The first season caught 6 while fishing for gills with no electronics so I went and bought electronics and have not caught or seen one caught. So what I am saying no need to try half moon

#7 ·
Ahh, rainbows through the ice. They can be frustrating, but yet it is still one of my favorites to target ice fishing. Many "experts" will tell you to fish the shallows, but most inland lakes that hold rainbows don't have much shallow water. They drop right off to deep water. Most of my success comes over deeper water, but I fish the top 5' below the ice, and majority of my fish are caught 1-2' below the ice. I jig with a Genz worm that'll have a rubber body with a skirt on it, and prefer Butterworms over wax worms. I usually watch the fish come in on the flasher a couple of feet below my jig, and watch it rise up and strike.
I also do very good with tip ups. Fluorocarbon line in 6lb, with either a yarn ball fly or a size 14 treble with three wigglers hanging.
As far as rod choice, a 36"-50" ultralight rod, damn good reel, spoiled with 2lb fluorocarbon. I've landed 8lb rainbows on the 2lb test. It's all about how you play/fight the fish. Good luck and hope this helps.

Sent from my fingertips using Ohub Campfire

#8 ·
My daughter and I visited many lakes stocked with rainbows a couple summers ago. Half Moon was one of them. Fished it four times and limited out four times trolling in the middle of the day.

Oddly, on that lake we never caught a hold over trout - all were first year planters and it took a limit to make a meal. Not sure if they can't make it through the winter?

Some of the other lakes we caught not only planters, but hold overs, including some that were weighed in pounds and not measured in inches.

We also caught bass, perch, and a blue gill on a stinger spoon 35' down over 80' of water. Hmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.