Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Latest catch.

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  john warren 
#1 ·
Out on the muskrat trapline today and I caught a crayfish... Latest I've ever caught one. It was a biggin!

See less See more
#6 ·
I have wondered about that. Crayfish survive the winter, but how active can they be? Anybody ever try trapping through the ice, or even in a moving river in winter?
I've never seen any activity in the rivers in the winter, but last year when I was on the lake, I had some pretty active crays coming in for my jigs. Big ones too!

#7 ·
Hey guys new to the group. What I've noticed is that they hunker down during the winter, their movement really slows down when you do find them. I think dip netting the open water would probably do better since any bass around would probably gobble them up if they came out in the open.

#11 ·
Welcome aboard Greenbriargold.. yeah we are a bunch of goofballs but were seriouse when it comes to trapping mud bugs. . Some of use are new and others like me have been doing it for many years.. lots of good info, tips and tricks to be had here.. everyone is focused on other things now but come spring things will pick up..

#15 ·
I have wondered about that. Crayfish survive the winter, but how active can they be? Anybody ever try trapping through the ice, or even in a moving river in winter?
I wish I had seen this thread earlier.

I tried trapping in the winter years ago. I can assure you it's a waste of time. One January I set half a dozen traps in a creek I do very well in during the summer months. Did not trap a single crayfish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.