Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Deer Lake-Ishpeming

22K views 84 replies 21 participants last post by  itchn2fish 
#1 ·
Looking for some tips, general areas to fish this lake. Will be in kayaks and one will have a fish finder. Casting or jigging for walleye and pike. I know its C&R and artificial only.

Will be there in a week and only be able to fish maybe two days.. Thanks.

#52 ·
Anyone here about a vote or decision to remove catch and release status of this lake. While I was there last week we were coming off the water and about 7 boat and 4 or 5 other cars were putting in and parking. I asked what was going on and they said you can keep the fish now.

I am pretty sure all that was said was the fish are safe to eat and the DNR has final say/decision/vote on whether the catch and release will be made. I sure hope they keep it catch and release.

With the increase in fishing license $77 with sportscard for this out of stater and another fee to use half the ramps, i am considering Minnesota for the future. I harvested a bass this year because it was severely gut hooked and wouldn't make it, but I seriously considered keeping all of the 10+ 3lb and above bass I caught over serveral days. Thats alot of money to stick someone who just drove 7 hours to come spend money in the area.

With those fees, if they open deer, Im finding a new place fish in the summer.

#54 ·
Anyone know who to contact on the lakes status(catch and release). DNR workers were clueless. The numbers they game me to call, the people I talked to were like "What? Deer Lake? is that in Michigan"

I would like to hear whats going on. I have read the money dispersment($2m and $6m) and creek redirect projects.

I also noticed 90% of the floating wood that was in the lake is gone. I wonder if that was part of the cleanup, or just from a flood/high water.

#55 ·
Still listed catch n release only in guide...phone is 906 228 6561 to speak to marquette office

#61 ·
For you regulars who fish Deer Lake a lot, do you think fishing it with a kayak is feasible? I'd like to give it a try next spring for pike on a fly rod and was wondering if using a kayak is a good idea or a waste of time considering it's a pretty good sized lake.

Also, if you have any other suggestions on lakes/rivers in the Marquette/Munising area for pike on a fly, I'd sure appreciate it.

BTW, I enjoy reading of your exploits on Deer Lake. I fished it from shore for catfish back in the early '70's and from about an hour before sunset until dark, I couldn't keep 2 rods in the water at one time. Lots of fun.

#62 ·
I see no issues with fishing deer lake in a kayak.greenwood is a no wake lake and has great back bays that hold big pike,the western end of dead river basin could be productive tooau train basin. ( forest lake) might b worth the effort as well

#63 ·
Nice fish and story yardman.

The very first time I fished Deer lake, I knew nothing about the lake except it was catch and release and had no ramp. I put in my 14 aluminum, boat without its motor, paddled around for hours trying using the trolling motor sparingly, caught plenty of fish. Would be perfect for a kayak. Although pre-ramp would have been even better.

#71 ·
This is all consistent with what I heard in July. Except I was told the DNR still had to decide whether to keep it catch and release.

What worries me is I fished there on a tuesday and and didnt see a sole, then when on Thursday put in without a sole in site, got off the water and there were dozens of people milling around the ramp and was told by an exited person "You can eat the fish now" Im not saying they were there to poach but it sure was odd.

DNR was clammed up at the time, maybe they thought I was looking to eat some Deer walleye.

You can read my experience earlier in this thread. If deer goes to a harvest lake, I will not be going to the UP anymore. I usually go twice a summer.

#74 ·
Yes, looks like the regs will be staying the same for now. Either way, I will continue to fish here each & every chance I get. Probably my favorite lake to fish in all of Michigan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.