Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Selling a handgun?

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  DeerManager 
#1 ·
How does a person go about selling a personal handgun (within the State of Michigan) ?

#2 ·
In state...

1. Find a buyer
2. Buyer gets his / her PP (Unless they have a CPL)
3. You meet and fill out all of the info on the PP (or RI60 for CPL)... Keep your copy.
4. He / She gives you the money
5. You go home with money.. He / She goes home with gun.

If you plan to sell out of state...

1. Find a buyer
2. They mail you the cash & copy of the FFL on their end.
3. You take your handgun to a local FFL (they ship it to buyers FFL)
4. You go home.

#3 ·
Thanks,
I would have thought it harder than that. So, I don't need to have an FFL license to sell my personal handgun to someone from Michigan as long as they get the Purchase Permit form or (CPL, R160) & I fill out all of the information off of my purchase permit, on that particular handgun.

#7 ·
Selling a firearm is a big enough PITA as it is....

For example... it is 100% perfectly legal for me to sell my AR across state lines (deal pending right now). Only stipulation is that I (a non 01 FFL) must mail it to someone with a valid 01 FFL.

But then there are those yahoo's with FFL's that only accept shipments from other 01 FFL's. Which adds a degree of difficulty and cost to the process. It's no different than me, a Post March 2005 issue CPL holder, buying a long gun in Michigan and being subjected to an NICS background check. Going above and beyond the law is a waste of time and money and a cause of frustration...

/rant

#9 ·
Selling a firearm is a big enough PITA as it is....

For example... it is 100% perfectly legal for me to sell my AR across state lines (deal pending right now). Only stipulation is that I (a non 01 FFL) must mail it to someone with a valid 01 FFL.

But then there are those yahoo's with FFL's that only accept shipments from other 01 FFL's. Which adds a degree of difficulty and cost to the process. It's no different than me, a Post March 2005 issue CPL holder, buying a long gun in Michigan and being subjected to an NICS background check. Going above and beyond the law is a waste of time and money and a cause of frustration...

/rant
I just put it in a box, and off it goes

#11 ·
I would contact your local sheriff department. The last time I bought a use handgun we both, (the seller and myself) went to the Macomb co sheriff department and did the transaction there.

#12 ·
I would contact your local sheriff department. The last time I bought a use handgun we both, (the seller and myself) went to the Macomb co sheriff department and did the transaction there.
No more post purchase inspection. Rules changed earlier this year. Now you just mail the required copies of the PP or RI-60 to the State Police.

#14 · (Edited)
I just took my completed paperwork into the sheriff's office. I went in one day filled out the application to purchase. Paid the $8 after you take a little test. Went back in within 10 days and gave them the paper (cards) and they said I was all set.
You got ripped off. They can't charge for a permit and they know it. State Police updates have stated this three times already. It's even on the MSP website under "frequently asked questions".

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

1. Are there any fees for the following Michigan forms?

License to Purchase: MCL 28.423 was repealed by PA 381 of 2000 eliminating the $5 processing fee for obtaining a License to Purchase. However, you may be charged a fee to notarize the application for a License to Purchase. MCL 28.422 A local police or sheriff may charge up to $1.00 for the cost of providing, to the owner, a copy of information that was entered in the pistol entry database.

#15 ·
You got ripped off. They can't charge for a permit and they know it. State Police updates have stated this three times already. It's even on the MSP website under "frequently asked questions".

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

License to Purchase: MCL 28.423 was repealed by PA 381 of 2000 eliminating the $5 processing fee for obtaining a License to Purchase. However, you may be charged a fee to notarize the application for a License to Purchase. MCL 28.422 A local police or sheriff may charge up to $1.00 for the cost of providing, to the owner, a copy of information that was entered in the pistol entry database.

They charge a processing fee as they call it. That is a loop hole they found to get around everything. Last time I did it Lenawee County Sherriffs Office charged me 10 dollars for processing the purchase permit.

#16 ·
They charge a processing fee as they call it. That is a loop hole they found to get around everything. Last time I did it Lenawee County Sherriffs Office charged me 10 dollars for processing the purchase permit.
They are not following the "LAW".

#17 ·
just did this last week.
The buyer needs to get the paper work form his or her local police station, with either a purchase permit or CPL (CCW). This was my 19 year old cousin, he got a purchase permit and got his paper work and drove to my house, we filled it out with the serial # and info and i signed all the copies, Sellers, buyers, MSP, and local police copies. I kept my copy and he has to go register it at his local municipality. If you don't know the person or even if you do i suggest you go up to the police station with them, sort of like a title for a car that you sell, make sure its not in your name...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.