Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Rem 7400 won't eject spent cartridges

20K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  oldbenelli 
#1 ·
Went to the range today to sight in the Rem 7400. Not so good news. It won't eject the casing after the shot. The slide comes back ( and locks open ) but the casing doesn't come with it. I know the reputation the gun has. I also know that they are as finnikey as can be about being clean. Any specific cleaning ideas? I am using win power point cartridges. If I can't figure this out real quick like, I am going to hunt with the 30 30 all season. It doesn't seem dirty, but then again it doesn't slide back and forth as smoothly as I think it should.

#4 ·
That happened to me with a bad clip.

Every other year or so they need to be cleaned by a gunsmith (the rifle), depending on how much shooting you do.

What grain bullets are you using? Mine only shoots well with 180 gr loads or higher?

#7 ·
Replace the main spring, clean the bolt face real well and thank me later......
Any tutorial? place to buy the spring? I will try it.

Does it leave the shell in the chamber?
It sure does.
That happened to me with a bad clip.

Every other year or so they need to be cleaned by a gunsmith (the rifle), depending on how much shooting you do.

What grain bullets are you using? Mine only shoots well with 180 gr loads or higher?
Using 150's I will try heavier ones.

I think I need to find a tear down guide on the internet, I am not afraid to tear most guns down, but the 7400 I have avoided. I would use a gunsmith, but this time of year I bet they are backed up like mad. Wonder if any members close to me have enough gunsmithing savvy to help? I buy beer?

#8 · (Edited)
If it is leaving the shell in the chamber when fired it sure sounds like the ejector isn't working properly. The ejector may be dirty or may be binding. The spring may be broken as well. Here is a schematic of the gun. Not that much to it really. It may be possible that the entire bolt may be out of alignment as well for some reason or something is bent/broken causing it to be out of alignment.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=4339

#11 ·
I don't see a "main" spring.. what does he mean?
The main spring is the big spring in the forend, they ALL go bad and do exactly what you have described.

I will bet the gun will not cycle well either.. Take it to a good smith and he can do it while you wait, ot google it as it aint hard. All you need to do it field strip the gun and push out the roll pin to access the spring. While your at it make sure the gas ports are clean.

#12 ·
Sam22...What caliber is your 7400? Is the ejector 'cutting' the edges off your shells? I've had mine in 30-06 for 25 years and mine just started doing this this year as well. Mine looks like it trys to grab the shell, but cuts or bends the edge of the casing leaving it in the chamber. If I close the action and pull by hand...the shell comes right out. Let me know what you find, if you would. I'd be pretty nervous tearing into my first rifle, but if it's not too complicated I could give it a go.

#13 ·
Sam22...What caliber is your 7400? Is the ejector 'cutting' the edges off your shells? I've had mine in 30-06 for 25 years and mine just started doing this this year as well. Mine looks like it trys to grab the shell, but cuts or bends the edge of the casing leaving it in the chamber. If I close the action and pull by hand...the shell comes right out. Let me know what you find, if you would. I'd be pretty nervous tearing into my first rifle, but if it's not too complicated I could give it a go.
I am not nervous, I am looking after my twin newborns! but I am gonna tear her apart tonight, if I get stuck I will head to the smith first thing in the am.

#17 ·
I own a Model 4...basically the same thing, per what I've been told. On page 14, I have to remove parts # 44 and 45 each year and clean the small ball bearing (#44); otherwise, the empty cartridge won't be expelled. It's a beast of a job getting the spring back in, but necessary. And obviously, protect the ball bearing like its a diamond. Cleaning my Model 4 each year is on par with a rectal exam...but the rest of the year is gravy. Thanks to my brother for helping me with the cleaning.

Swamper

#19 ·
I have suspected the ball bearing in some way controls the release of gas?

All I know is if I don't clean mine each year, then the impact is very negative.

I do clean the inside of that port out with Hoppes solvent (a rag soaked with solvent wrapped around a small screw driver). I do let it air dry for a few minutes before I put the screw back in. Perhaps a more liberal application of solvent will free the bearing up.

Good luck.

Swamper

#21 ·
The most common problem with this gun is the chamber is rough. This is because the round rotates when being extracted. You must always keep the chamber clean. Once it is rough it take so much of the energy to break it(the round in chamber) free there is not enough energy left to eject the shell. Ask any gunsmith this is the number one problem with this gun. You will need to take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber polished. To help in the future use a chamber brush to clean the chamber last as if you clean the gun from the muzzle end it leaves all the grim in the chamber. When you fire the gun the cartridge expands the round is rotated as it starts to extract thus causing the grim to act as sandpaper causing the rough chamber. This is why Remington keeps changing the design 740, 742,7400, now 750. They are trying to delay the bolt rotating and opening long enough to allow the pressure to go down before the bolt rotates. This is what make this gun the number one repaired guns in must gun shops. I hope this help you under stand what is happening.

#22 ·
The most common problem with this gun is the chamber is rough. This is because the round rotates when being extracted. You must always keep the chamber clean. Once it is rough it take so much of the energy to break it(the round in chamber) free there is not enough energy left to eject the shell. Ask any gunsmith this is the number one problem with this gun. You will need to take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber polished. To help in the future use a chamber brush to clean the chamber last as if you clean the gun from the muzzle end it leaves all the grim in the chamber. When you fire the gun the cartridge expands the round is rotated as it starts to extract thus causing the grim to act as sandpaper causing the rough chamber. This is why Remington keeps changing the design 740, 742,7400, now 750. They are trying to delay the bolt rotating and opening long enough to allow the pressure to go down before the bolt rotates. This is what make this gun the number one repaired guns in must gun shops. I hope this help you under stand what is happening.
If it is a chamber issue, I would think you would be seeing damage to the shell where the extractor catches it.

#23 ·
When I first used my 280 cal. Remington I had the same problem. My ejector would actually break a chunk out of the rim of the shell casing.The remedy is very simple! The gun should have come with a bent handle chamber cleaning brush. Use this brush to thoroughly clean powder residue from chamber. I have not had any ejector problems since using this process. You may find that tearing your gun down was all for naught.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.