Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Painting Lures

6K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  rjt 
#1 ·
What type of paint do you guys use to repaint lures? There are some nice metalics in auto paint but expensive. My pike and walleye lures sure could use a fresh coat of paint.

#2 ·
What type of paint do you guys use to repaint lures?
Most of the time I figure it is not worth the time for the painting or the expense of the paint to go this route. Unless you are good at airbrush painting or using a very fine pointed brush you might want to consider getting someone with experience to do the repainting for you.

I have noticed that the guys who have devoted a lifetime to perfecting their lure painting talents tend to use enamels. Some of these enamel paints are auto paints in pint, quart, and gallon cans.

#3 ·
I'm looking for some hobbies to get me through the winter when I'm not on the ice. I figured I could mess around with some lures and try new colors schemes. Do you guys that paint lures with scale looking paint jobs make your own pattern with masking plastic?

#4 ·
The lure painters I have met use airbrushes. You can try spray cans but I have not had any decent results with this.

They have made their own masks for the scale patterns or have used materials that they found, like window screening. You can also buy a netting material from Stamina or Netcraft for painting the scales.

You will find some other painting and lure making items in catalogs from those two companies.

#7 ·
There was a post on here mebbe a month ago by Musky Hunter. He had some homemade plugs he had finished. He had a photo up of the best custom paint I have ever seen. Maybe someone knows how to retreive the photo. Definitely worth a second look. :lol::lol::dizzy:

#9 · (Edited)
Is this the one. Wrong generation. Musky Hunter is my son.

#11 ·
Nice job Mike, I'll post a pic when I get done with one of mine. It may be a good laugh and a waste of time. Good or bad I'll post it. Give me a couple of weeks, I have Christmas shopping to get done. I'll be picking up materials along the way to paint. Thanks for the links to supplies.

#13 ·
Yes it is, Alex. The picture doesn't do it justice. The purple on the back doesn't show up very well.

#16 ·
Mike-
WOW. Actually, I was pokin some fun at the "sharpie" paint job. But you have humbled me. That really is the best paint job I have ever seen! You know, I just had a brainstorm. I bet if I showed my wife that photo she would go for 30 or 40 of those to hang on the Christmas tree! I could store them in my tackle box in between Christmases!! :lol::lol:

#19 ·
Elk 5012 they are art for sure. My buddy's son lives in California where all these 20# bass have been caught over the past 15 years or so. Anyway he fishes with a guy that makes those great big swim baits and the paint on them is absolutly incredable. My buddy has them over his fire place rather than in the tackle box. This guy paints special colors for several of the touring bass pros.

#20 ·
HI,
To touch up the chrome on lures I use Sally Henson Crome Fingernail Polish.The Salmon don't know the difference.
Thats a good call, thanks for the suggestion......

Mushy

#22 ·
Hey those sharpie "painted" lures are cool. They took me a whole 30 minutes to do. :) I thought they came out well for what they are.............sharpie painted baits. My "paint" didn't come off, and I can always touch them up anytime I want. Didn't use them much this year. I'm gonna try them more in the spring. If I don't catch anything....they should right?...... they will become Christmas ornaments as suggested above. I think I'm gonna order a few more from Barlow to give me something to do.

Elk5012- There has to be a ton of materials you can use for detailing lures. Go to the craft store or buy stuff online. Good luck. Post some pics when you paint one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.