Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Best all-around walleye boat

64K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  jeffryg 
#1 ·
I'm curious to see what everyones opinion is for the best all-around walleye boat when you consider size, speed, ride in big rollers, storage...
I had the privledge of being able to go up north and fish with an old buddy who wanted to take me out on his new pride and joy, a Yarcraft 209 w/ 250 verado.
This is the best walleye boat I've ever been in. The layout wasn't my favorite but I loved everything else about it. We were in 4-5 rollers on green bay and the ride was better than any other boat I've been on. Once we got back to little bay de noc boat topped out at 61 on gps.
Lets here your opinions...

#5 ·
I have a Lund Mr. Pike 18. I really like it. I use it for Walleye on Lake Erie, and then bolt on the downriggers and chase salmon and while I'm on Lake Michigan chase perch and it still is easy to launch on the smaller lakes for bluegilling. I'm very happy with it so far. Although, I would not want to be in the waves you were on Greenbay fishing in. I'm not into pain. I've heard a lot good things about the Polarcraft boats too. I guess I just like fishing!

Paul C.
Mattawan, MI

#7 ·
Lund boats - Aluminium and the new glass boats, get My vote. A boat for any Walleye venue, and the Pro-V's (tin/glass) plain ROCK ! C-man
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

Gets my vote too. Thats what I bought (preowned) and couldnt be happier with the rig. I have a smaller 1660 Pro-V and find it perfect for any inland lake in MI and out on the big water too on most days.

NB

#8 ·
I just picked up an 06' Mr. Pike & I love it. I got the max horsepower whitch for mine is a 150. I have been in underpowered boats. There are plenty of great manufacturers in the industry but whatever you get don't underpower it. Power controls on the kicker are also a HUGE help. The 1st step I would take would be to determine if you would perfer a fiberglass, welded, or riveted hull. Also get a big enough electric bow mount. Good luck.

#9 ·
have had a lund pro-v 2025 going on 10 years. original merc's 200hp and 9.9 hp kicker. used on erie, michigan, huron,gt bay, little bay de noc, detroit river, st clair river and mulitiple inland lakes still going strong.

#11 ·
My buddy up north bought his in Wisconsin. I dont think they sell them in Michigan, which is wierd because when you fish in the big walleye areas in SD,ND, and Minn, they are very common. If I were Yarcraft I would establish some dealers in Michigan(Perhaps the biggest concentration of walleye fisherman anywhere). I know I wasn't familiar with them at all but now I would definately choose one...that is when I can afford one.

#14 ·
gee i have owned sea nymph,lowe,fisher,lund,ranger,sea ray,alumacraft,mirrocraft,crestliner,starcraft,sylvan. rode in bayliner,trophy,warrior,triton,tracker,ultracraft,G3 and spectrum.........looking forward to my new princecraft.........plastic seems to have less 'jolt'(but lots more expensive to tow, drive, equip and buy---except possibly stratos)...easily remedied with air ride seats...i prefer aluminum....and of the above boats(i haven't tried prince,polar or a few others) but the crestliner seemed superior in all facets to the others....fit, finish, ride and least problematic......

#15 ·
Matt V,

That red Lund looks nice with the basketball hoop in the back, ha ha. My Lund is roomy but not enough room for a basketball court. I too love my Lund. 17' Explorer single console. The only complaint I get from passengers is they wish it had a full windshield. Maybe on the next boat.

Greg

#19 · (Edited)
2009 LUND 208 PRO-V GL, 2009 NEW LUND PRO-V GL WITH MERCURY 250 VERADO, 9.9 PRO-KICKER AND CUSTOM TRAILER. LOWRANCE X-27, MINN-KOTA 101 TEREOVA, 3-BANK CHARGER, COVER AND MORE. $62909.00 Maple Bay Marine.........this is the deterrent for me..after jenny tax..delivery, prep,tags etc..close to 70K.........not knowing the future of gasoline or the availability of gas in a few years..tough for an OLD man to ante up that much!:(.......Maybe if my handle was Chamookman or Scotty hoover i could swing it!:p...........p.s. imagine how many props i would break on this honker!

#21 ·
When I get my next boat, it will be for more than just walleye, and since it needs to handle the big water, it will have a cuddy cabin to keep out of weather and handle the waves. Probobly an older one like a starcraft islander, or sylvans model thats similar. Forget the bowmount trollers, and get the rearmounts, right on the lower unit, thats the way to go. I have been in Limige's 22' penn yan, and thats a pretty darn nice boat. Full inboard recessed up into haul, and can draft less water than most 16 footers.

#22 ·
When I get my next boat, it will be for more than just walleye, and since it needs to handle the big water, it will have a cuddy cabin to keep out of weather and handle the waves. Probobly an older one like a starcraft islander, or sylvans model thats similar. Forget the bowmount trollers, and get the rearmounts, right on the lower unit, thats the way to go. I have been in Limige's 22' penn yan, and thats a pretty darn nice boat. Full inboard recessed up into haul, and can draft less water than most 16 footers.
My old boat was a 22' Penn Yan, 318 inboard, auto pilot, hard top. Sweet Bay boat. Too big for inland lakes, but I do miss it. They still make these, real pricey.

#25 ·
Couple of the guys I fish with have switched to the ranger 620vs. I never thought I would say this, but they rule.
One guy was on staff with Yar-craft for a number of years before getting the Ranger. Rides like a dream even in big waves (5-6 ft.) and flat out flies acrossed the water. Other thing is if you can't find a spot to put something on a ranger you don't need to bring it with you. Not sure how many sq feet of storage they have but we put all of the stuff from his Yar-craft in the lund and still had lots of room in the dry storage compartments.

Down side is invoice on my one buddies boat was $53k with the 250 xs and a 9.9 pro kicker, plus all the electronics( 3 gps fish finders, minn kota trolling motor 36v and travel cover).

#26 ·
My Tyee still is the best I have owned, and the longest too Dont think I'll ever sell it. She isnt pretty but she is solid, safe, functional, and if the previous owner could dock it, then it would still have nice paint.

$62K is just a bit above my range for 6 months use per year. Still very very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.