Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

NoDak countdown, T minus...

12K views 113 replies 24 participants last post by  7Wings 
#1 ·
9 days and counting. Starting to get the itch...bad. Leaving on the 29th - overnighting in Black River Falls, WI, then on to our happy hunting grounds with a possible stop at Cabelas in Rogers, MN!

Sounds like a large fall flight is expected if this is any indication:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/29104302"]http://vimeo.com/29104302[/ame]

I think I got scouting all figured out and save some $$$ on gas. We're going to attach GPS trackers to Just Ducky's and Shi Kid's trucks while they're in the diner eating pie. Ducks go to corn, these guys go to coconut cream.

#53 ·
Yeah gas is down a bit lately...good timing.

Hey a question for those of you who drive the Chicago route. Which route have you found to work the best for you, and which time of day? We've tried most of the toll roads (294, 355, etc) and sometimes we've gotten lucky, and sometimes we've gotten completely screwed. Some years we continue on 80 west over to 39, then take that north through Rockford to Madison and on, which adds about 30-45 miles. But I understand 80 has some major reconstruction going on now. And a couple of years we took the ferry across from Muskegon, which is nice because you bypass all of the Chicago BS, but it's expensive.

So I'm wondering what's your favored route?

#54 ·
Yeah gas is down a bit lately...good timing.

Hey a question for those of you who drive the Chicago route. Which route have you found to work the best for you, and which time of day? We've tried most of the toll roads (294, 355, etc) and sometimes we've gotten lucky, and sometimes we've gotten completely screwed. Some years we continue on 80 west over to 39, then take that north through Rockford to Madison and on, which adds about 30-45 miles. But I understand 80 has some major reconstruction going on now. And a couple of years we took the ferry across from Muskegon, which is nice because you bypass all of the Chicago BS, but it's expensive.

So I'm wondering what's your favored route?
lately when me and dave go we take 80 to 294 and roll the toll road. Dave got one of the FastPass's and it shaves a ton of time off the trip.

#57 ·
This year we're leaving on a Thursday evening and driving straight through. Should but us there about daybreak on Friday. Hoping the overnight driving will avoid a lot of traffic.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
also, i leave between 8pm-10pm thursday night. hit chicago around 3am-4am. traffic much better then. I've only done the straight through option.

#58 · (Edited by Moderator)
The ferry seems like a good idea and it will always come up on GPS, but it's too much time and $$$ with a vehicle. Plus you have to go by their schedule with plenty of lead time loading and unloading. Bad weather in the fall will stop you cold--insert back ground music of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. :help:

Living on the west side, I go through Chi-town a TON for both business and pleasure. My preferred and fastest method is to take the Skyway [90W] off of westbound [94W]. right along the shore through to downtown. Usually very little traffic inbound unless it's morning rush hour and easy toll stops. It's best to hit it in the evening - after 8pm CST. If it's after 8pm, then take JFK [90W] all the way to Rockford and north to pick up [94W] in Madison. If it's afternoon rush hour, you'll want to avoid that route because it backs up before the [90-94W] split on the Edens [W94]. In that case, go [290W] to pick up [90W] to Rockford.

The only time it might make sense to go [294W] is if there is a major jam in the city. Listen to 670 or 720AM well in advance as you hit the Michigan/Indiana border.

It NEVER makes sense to take 94 all the way. It's too far west in WI.

If you have realtime GPS with up-to-the-minute traffic, then follow their lead.

Stay off of 80. Construction has mad it a parking lot and dangerous. Plus it's much longer of a route--goes too far south for NoDak

US-2 over the top is the most beautiful route, but it adds 4 hours for us.

#59 ·
The pass would be nice but it is a minimum of $60 and unless you make multiple trips a year through Chicago it is more expensive.

Ipass is nice, but too much $$$ for the casual traveler. Make your own Ipass. Put a hitch hauler on with a cooler that covers up your license plate.

:yikes::lol::yikes:

#60 · (Edited)
The pass would be nice but it is a minimum of $60 and unless you make multiple trips a year through Chicago it is more expensive.

That's confusing. My buddy has one because he has family in Mass/Conn area, so he drives the toll roads there several times each year, and that same I-pass works in Illinois too...we've used it for several years now. He told me it was free to get, and then you load $$$ on it, or maybe the other way around...it automatically bills him. Again, getting second-hand info because he already has it, but I thought there was no cost?

In any case, yeah, they do save a lot of hassle.

EDIT: Okay, I stand corrected. Talked with my bud who has the pass, and there is a $50 deposit you have to put up to get it, but it comes out of your toll fees according to him. So really...it is free for the transponder itself I guess.

#62 ·
23 days and counting. Going to make a few changes this year as far as gear were taking so it should make for a more enjoyable trip. WAY overpacked last year.

Btw, bought a leftover Swan tag and it showed up yesterday. In a strange way it's like a little poke to let us know it's right around the corner. Can't wait!

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

#63 · (Edited by Moderator)
...Living on the west side, I go through Chi-town a TON for both business and pleasure. My preferred and fastest method is to take the Skyway [90W] off of westbound [94W]. right along the shore through to downtown. Usually very little traffic inbound unless it's morning rush hour and easy toll stops. It's best to hit it in the evening - after 8pm CST. If it's after 8pm, then take JFK [90W] all the way to Rockford and north to pick up [94W] in Madison. If it's afternoon rush hour, you'll want to avoid that route because it backs up before the [90-94W] split on the Edens [W94]. In that case, go [290W] to pick up [90W] to Rockford.

The only time it might make sense to go [294W] is if there is a major jam in the city. Listen to 670 or 720AM well in advance as you hit the Michigan/Indiana border....
Wow TNL, you've confused me now...people who know Chicago use those damn road names...kinda like in Detroit. Talk english to me man :lol: On the trip out, we normally plan to hit Chicago around 8pm. If I understand you right, you're saying at that time of day peel off of 94 onto 90w way back by Gary, and head right downtown along the lakeshore, and stay right on that until over by O'Hare where 90 heads west to Rockford? So on a weeknight at 8pm going into the downtown area would be your chosen route? Wow...all the years I've gone out, I've never done that. We normally either take 80 to west of Hammond, go north on 294 to around O'Hare, then either take 290 just short of O'Hare west to 90, or stay right on 294 around the east side of O'Hare to 90, then west.

Why is it you say "the only time it makes sense to go 294..."? you're saying the other way is normally much better? I always thought 294 would be quicker than going through downtown? Talk to me man :evilsmile

#64 ·
This year we're leaving on a Thursday evening and driving straight through. Should but us there about daybreak on Friday. Hoping the overnight driving will avoid a lot of traffic.

Probably 10 of the 12 years I've gone out we've driven all night. From my area on the outskirts of Lansing it's right about 1000 miles from my door to the door of our house. We usually make it in 15 to 15.5 hrs. One year Chicago bit us BIG TIME and we were literally 3 hours in Chicago traffic.

#65 ·
I have traveled through Chicago on many occasions this summer/fall (racing). The best way to travel is in the dark. We would typically leave on a Thursday evening around 7:00 PM. We never did hit traffic in Chicago that stopped us, maybe slowed us a little, but not much. We traveled 94 to 80. Went to Kansas, Arkansas, Southern IL, and a few other spots over the season. Our last trip was about two weeks ago. I80 ios tore up but they seem to have traffic flowing okay if you hit it in the off rush hour times.

There is no good route to go through Chicago, or around it. It is what it is. Roll the dice and hope it is not snake eyes.

#66 ·

sorry to disagree but i got mine a few months ago. They require $50 which consists of a $10 refundable deposit for the actual box and $40 of credit that they put on your account. so really it costs $10 which is refundable. IMO this is a must have. it saves like an hour going through Chicago.

#67 ·
sorry to disagree but i got mine a few months ago. They require $50 which consists of a $10 refundable deposit for the actual box and $40 of credit that they put on your account. so really it costs $10 which is refundable. IMO this is a must have. it saves like an hour going through Chicago.
That's exactly what my buddy said Dave. We've used it several years and it really is a god send.

#68 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wow TNL, you've confused me now...people who know Chicago use those damn road names...kinda like in Detroit. Talk english to me man :lol: On the trip out, we normally plan to hit Chicago around 8pm. If I understand you right, you're saying at that time of day peel off of 94 onto Skyway 90w way back by Gary, and head right downtown along the lakeshore, and stay right on that until over by O'Hare where 90 heads west to Rockford? Yep. So on a weeknight at 8pm going into the downtown area would be your chosen route? That's 7pm CST you might hit the end of rush hour then - I would leave an hour or 2 later Wow...all the years I've gone out, I've never done that. We normally either take 80 to west of Hammond, go north on 294 to around O'Hare, then either take 290 just short of O'Hare west to 90, or stay right on 294 around the east side of O'Hare to 90, That works and may be the best if traffic is too much in the loop during rush hourthen west.

Why is it you say "the only time it makes sense to go 294..."? you're saying the other way is normally much better? I always thought 294 would be quicker than going through downtown? It goes the long way around and there are too many commuters along with too many toll booths. Slows everything down. Talk to me man :evilsmile
The "Skyway" which is 90 West has very limited access going through Indiana and east Chicago. There's a few tolls, but it's usually clear sailing all the way to the Loop. The route is shorter too because you're staying north and cutting off going all the way around. There are express lanes going into and out of the Loop as well. Figuring out if there is a tie-up after the Loop heading outbound -North or West - is the key. The Edens - which is 94 west heading to Milwaukee off of 90 West - is often either backed up because of construction or evening rush hour. This rush hour is rough, but it usually subsides around 7-7:30 CST if there are no major accidents. As you know, gawkers can slow it down to a crawl. You can avoid the Edens (94 west) interchange by taking 290 West before you get to 94 split.

If traffic is clear or it's at night, go 90 West all the way from Indiana to Rockford. Simple and fast. Just watch closely for the 90 West exit. It's poorly marked and comes up fast. After you exit 94 there will be a small blue sign about a foot square that says "Skyway" with an arrow. Otherwise you end up on Ripley or something.

Good luck to all and safe travels.

#69 ·
That's exactly what my buddy said Dave. We've used it several years and it really is a god send.
i forgot to mention the most important thing.......its like half the price using the ipass as opposed to paying as you go. when i got back in april and reviewed the statement i couldn't believe the difference. so not only does it cost nothing when you sign up but its half the price. its a no brainer to me......

#70 ·
I guess unwashed mistaken. I thought it was $50 plus the $10 deposit. Has anyone add

#73 ·
The "Skyway" which is 90 West has very limited access going through Indiana and east Chicago. There's a few tolls, but it's usually clear sailing all the way to the Loop. The route is shorter too because you're staying north and cutting off going all the way around. There are express lanes going into and out of the Loop as well. Figuring out if there is a tie-up after the Loop heading outbound -North or West - is the key. The Edens - which is 94 west heading to Milwaukee off of 90 West - is often either backed up because of construction or evening rush hour. This rush hour is rough, but it usually subsides around 7-7:30 CST if there are no major accidents. As you know, gawkers can slow it down to a crawl. You can avoid the Edens (94 west) interchange by taking 290 West before you get to 94 split.

If traffic is clear or it's at night, go 90 West all the way from Indiana to Rockford. Simple and fast. Just watch closely for the 90 West exit. It's poorly marked and comes up fast. After you exit 94 there will be a small blue sign about a foot square that says "Skyway" with an arrow. Otherwise you end up on Ripley or something.

If I mapquest the route this is the way it has me going.

#75 ·

We plan to hit Gary around 8pm on a Friday night, so I'm gonna give your route a shot. If it doesn't work, I'll hunt you down :evilsmile

#76 ·
We plan to hit Gary around 8pm on a Friday night, so I'm gonna give your route a shot. If it doesn't work, I'll hunt you down :evilsmile

Bring it. I have a place in town and drive a red Chevy with a chessie in the back when he doesn't jump out. :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, as go through Benton Harbor start listening to the radio for traffic times and make a game time decision. Gary exit (Skyway) at 8pm CST should be OK, puts you downtown in another 45 min. Friday nights ALWAYS suck on any road near Chicago. Good luck :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.